Windows 10: Win 10 BSOD after reducing number of CPUs

Discus and support Win 10 BSOD after reducing number of CPUs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Win 10 x64 running in VMware Fusion VM on MacBook Pro w/ 6 physical cores & HT. When VM is configured with 5+ CPUs, Windows runs fine. When VM is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dcobb013, Mar 30, 2020.

1. dcobb013 Win User

Win 10 BSOD after reducing number of CPUs

• Win 10 x64 running in VMware Fusion VM on MacBook Pro w/ 6 physical cores & HT.
    • When VM is configured with 5+ CPUs, Windows runs fine.
    • When VM is configured with 4 or fewer, BSOD INVALID SYSTEM CONFIG INFO
      • WINLOAD.EFI missing or corrupted
      • Attempt to repair using ISO image fails

OS X 10.15.4, VMware Fusion Pro 11.5.3

Win 10 Enterprise

Version 1703

Build 15063.2108

Any suggestions appreciated, as I need to move this VM to another HW config with fewer physical CPUs.

Thanks!

:)

dcobb013, Mar 30, 2020

2. Laptop starts work slower and shows BSOD

No, there was no minidump file.

After 4th BSOD, I did the following:

Hopefully, it will solve the issue. I'll post here if BSOD will happen again.

Roman 5678, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Bailen2vc Win User
    Help with How To Reduce or Control Excessive CPU usage by Service Host Local Service & System

Thank you very much SPIRITX for your suggestions.

I went down the list of "Tips To Improve Windows Performance in Windows 10". By the time I got to number four I had reduce my CPU and Memory down to 2% and 10%. I did it by first getting 7.5GB of storage back when I did a system Clean up of the hard drive.
    There were a bunch of unnecessary system Backups, Windows update , log files etc. the next thing was to remove application running in the background starting with Norton Security antivirus. As you suggested this application was a huger of memory like the application
    alone is 588 MG itself thus freeing up memory and CPU. After restarting I saw immediately a huge improvement. I proceeded by removing unnecessary programs. All these steps I did it it as an administrator since I had less programs as opposed to user. After
    completing step #4, I checked the system performance in Task Manager and saw that my CPU was about 2 or 4& and memory less than 10%. I was happy then. restarted the system and logged in as a user.

Here is the weird part of all these. Task Manager CPU was again high about 80% and memory back over 60%. I then decided to remove a huge memory huger application I had been using "Wondershare Filmora". Bingo. After restarting the system my CPU was less than
    10% and Memory about 15%.

Apparently Wondershare application services was always running in the background even though there were days I was not using. I guess it was in the starting of programs during initial logon.

My PC is now running faster and better. I still kept Iolo system Mechanics but disable it, letting Windows defender do its job that by the way is doing very well. Thank you for that suggestion.

I am very grateful to you and your team of experts.

Best Regards.

V.R.C.

Bailen2vc, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 BSOD after reducing number of CPUs - Similar Threads - BSOD reducing number

2. BSOD after downgrade to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after downgrade to Win 10?: Hello everyone! Today I updated my PC to Windows 11. After having a look I decided it ultimately wasn't for me and downgraded back to Windows 10. When my PC first started on Win10 again it was incredibly slow and then after about a minute I got a BSOD. The PC restarted by...
  3. BSOD after downgrade to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after downgrade to Win 10?: Hello everyone! Today I updated my PC to Windows 11. After having a look I decided it ultimately wasn't for me and downgraded back to Windows 10. When my PC first started on Win10 again it was incredibly slow and then after about a minute I got a BSOD. The PC restarted by...
  4. BSOD after downgrade to Win 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win 10 Mail app printing reduced size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Mail app printing reduced size: Since installing the 12/8/20 updates, the Mail app has been printing emails is a greatly reduced size. The print preview window displays the document sized to fill a standard sheet but the size actually printed is about a tenth of that shown and is placed in the top left...
  6. Serial number win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Serial number win 10: So basically my serial number it is not working at all why that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-number-win-10/0489926b-62e5-4240-9bab-0b60bb43db18
  7. Will reducing the number of threads speed up Windows 10?

Will reducing the number of threads speed up Windows 10?: I currently have 149 processes running, using 1468 threads. The computer is very slow, much slower than Windows 7. If I reduce the above numbers, will I get back the old performance?...
  8. BSOD after Win 10 reinstall

BSOD after Win 10 reinstall: REPORT: Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!FsRtlNotifyFilterReportChange+122 )Background:... ran chkdsk... verified all drivers up to date... ran memtest86+-5.01... reinstalled win 10... recently updated BIOS... PC is ancient Vista laptop 88465
  9. Windows 10 and future CPUs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 and future CPUs: Hey all, Premise: So lately I've been reading up on articles (below) that detail Win 10 and old CPUs will no longer be compatible. I want to stay on Win 7 as long as possible as i think it's perfect for my needs, however my rig is long due for an update. My CPU, board, RAM...
  10. dedicated memory reduced to 32mb after upgrade to win 10, possibly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dedicated memory reduced to 32mb after upgrade to win 10, possibly: Hello, possibly since I updated to win 10 my dedicated memory has been reduced to 32 mb from 1024 mb. I don't know how or when exactly it has happened. Any help would be great 30003