Windows 10: Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public

Discus and support Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have been trying for three days to set up a brand new machine in our AD domain network. All our machines use static IP addresses assigned during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by squigglyanne, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public

Hi, I have been trying for three days to set up a brand new machine in our AD domain network. All our machines use static IP addresses assigned during setup, and the primary DNS points first to the domain controller. I'm using Win 10 build 1809 (that is the build on the DVD). Installed Windows, set the static IP, gateway and DNS of the machine, then joined the machine to the domain and added domain user account with admin privileges (so I could install software and finish setup). All seems well at first, as the Network and Sharing Center reports the network type as a Domain network. I can see the other computers in the AD domain after turning on network discovery and file and printer sharing. HOWEVER - with no apparent reason why this happened, I left the setup of this machine to do another task, and when I returned to it, I found that the Network and Sharing Center now reports that the machine is on an UNIDENTIFIED PUBLIC network, and that network discovery and file and printer sharing is turned off. I cannot see the other computers in the AD domain at all. The domain controller still reports that the new machine is an AD domain member, but the new machine itself doesn't seem to know that.

I'm not having any problems getting to the Internet on this machine.

I have tried removing the machine from the AD domain and then re-adding it. It seems to function correctly only for a short period before the network type "reverts" to UNIDENTIFIED PUBLIC. I have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows TWICE, thinking that something went squirrelly and that a reinstall might fix it. No joy. NOTHING has fixed this problem - and I've spent a lot of time on Google looking for answers. I'm wondering if it's another strange bug in build 1809.

Does ANYONE have any idea what might be happening? And what I can do about it? I've been an IT pro for over 35 years now, and have NEVER seen a Windows installation / setup go squirrelly like this one.

In case it helps, the computer has the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core processor
    Gigabyte B450M DS3H micro-ATX motherboard w/Realtek PCIe GbE 10/100/1000 LAN chip
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V series SDRAM DDR4 PC3200, 2 - 4 GB modules
    MSI Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3 graphics card
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 1 TB 7,200 rpm internal hard drive
    Lite-On iHAS124-14 SATA DVD burner
    EVGA 450 watt power supply
    Antec mid-tower computer case

At this point, I am inclined to use an earlier build of Windows 10 that I kept, and do yet another reinstall. The last new machine I setup before this one started out with the earlier build of Windows 10, and I NEVER saw this problem on it at all, not even after getting all the latest Windows updates and feature upgrades.

Suggestions are very welcome, and thanks in advance!

:)

squigglyanne, Mar 8, 2019
  2. 0ldog Win User

Unidentified Network

I have just hooked two computers together using an Ethernet cable, the first running windows 7 and the second running windows 10. The windows 7 computer shows up as a home network, but the windows 10 is seen as a unidentified public network.
    I try and access the Win 10 comp. and it is denied. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks John

0ldog, Mar 8, 2019
  3. redturtle Win User
    Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10  

Hi Brink and thank you for the welcome Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public :)

I tried what you suggested but when doing this, i noticed that whenever i am connected to my VPN, the Windows network shows up as "unidentified network" instead of network 1,2,3 or whatever. So when i went into regedit and looked for networks, i found some but none called unidentified.
    There was one network with the value 0 so i changed it to 1 (private) but after checking, my VPN connection still shows as public.

I am not really sure why it says unidentified network in Windows when i am connected to the VPN but it seems that this is the cause for the problem. If i could only find the VPN network in the list of networks in regedit, i think i would be able to change the value to 1.

Hmm..not sure how to proceed with this. Any ideas?

Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public [​IMG]

redturtle, Mar 8, 2019
  4. Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public

home network changed to public network with Windows 10

I recently changed my OS to Windows 10 via the free upgrade. My network, while with Windows 8.1, was a home network. Now it is listed as a public network. My Kaspersky Total security software keeps sending messages that this is a public network. How does
    one go about changing the network back to a home network in Windows 10.

Rich S_1018, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public

1. Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing domain network to unidentified public - Similar Threads - build 1809 keeps

2. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...
  3. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...
  4. Win 10 keeps changing my network connection from Private to Public

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 keeps changing my network connection from Private to Public: When I use the Control Panel to change it to Private, it is changed back immediately when I leave that screen. Ditto when I change the Content key to 1 using Regedit. How do I make it retain this setting?...
  5. For 1809 and 1903 - How do I change a Public Network to Private?

For 1809 and 1903 - How do I change a Public Network to Private?: Hello, When I do a Bing search on "windows 10" change network from public to private , I get so many misleading results (because Microsoft changed the method for changing an incorrectly identified public network to the correct value of private) it isn't funny, at all. How...
  6. Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing network profiles from "domain network" to "unidentified...

Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing network profiles from "domain network" to "unidentified...: Hi, We are in the process of phasing in new computers in our company, replacing our existing Windows 7 Pro PC's with Windows 10 Pro PC's. All our computers (all are towers, NOT laptops, BTW) use static IP addresses assigned during setup, and the primary DNS points first to...
  7. win 10 changes my network to public

win 10 changes my network to public: hi all win 10 keeps changing my network to public every time i reboot my computer which isn't that often so not sure how long its been doing it,at least 3 weeks. any one got a fix for this. i know how to change it to private but it doesnt stick thank you bradley 127806
  8. change network type from public to private in win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    change network type from public to private in win 10: my home wifi is set to public. i want to change it to private but i cant find any options to do it even after searching the internet for solutions. please help...
  9. Non-domain win 10 computer to domain network

Non-domain win 10 computer to domain network: Hi. I have a non-domain computer (win 10 basic). Can it connect to a Aerohive wireless domain network? Any links to a tutorial on the net? Thanks... *Smile 49689
  10. Network property keeps changing between public and private

Network property keeps changing between public and private: This is really frustrating with Microsoft. The Network used to be stable and reliable, but it is not anymore. We have several PCs in the house and some are hardwired and some are on wifi. They used to be accessible on a private network which was set in every PC. For a...