Windows 10: win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown

Discus and support win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; can't edit shut down settings and power button doesn't shut down the laptop There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 0 Ahmed 0, Dec 7, 2023.

1. 0 Ahmed 0 Win User

win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown

can't edit shut down settings and power button doesn't shut down the laptop There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but when I press it when the computer is running it just does nothing no matter what I set it to do in the power settings

:)

0 Ahmed 0, Dec 7, 2023
  2. Vinodh.V Win User

ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You can create shortcut for Shutdown, restart and sleep by following the below steps:

• First right-click on the desktop, choose New and then Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, you’ll need to enter the correct command, which I’ve listed for you below.
    • For Shutdown type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

• For Restart type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

• For Sleep type the below command:
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

After you click Finish, you should now have a new icon that you can double-click to immediately shutdown, restart, or lock your computer.

Hope this information helps, for further assistance please reply.

Vinodh.V, Dec 7, 2023
  3. James Win User
    Windows 10 "Shutdown Button" Not Working - I Give Up

Hello, Caxtin. I’ve not actually heard about this before - I’m assuming when you shut down and make a small mouse or keyboard input it turns on instantly? My guess on the fix is to disable Fast startup. Fast Startup is also known as Windows Hybrid Shutdown. Follow these steps to disable it:
    1. Open the Control Panel
    2. Go to Hardware and Sound → Power Options
    3. Click on Choose what the power button doeschoose what the power button does
    4. Go to Shutdown Settings
    5. Uncheck the Turn on Fast Startup (recommended) optionturn off fast startup windows 10
    6. Apply the changes.
    If you can’t uncheck Fast Startup, click on the option Change settings that are currently unavailable. You could also run the shutdown command to see if that works (a method of troubleshooting if the above option doesn’t work) In the start menu type: Shutdown /s /t 0 - *Smile

James, Dec 7, 2023
  4. Marby Rey Win User

SHUTDOWN BUTTON !!

Hi,

To create shutdown button shortcut, kindly follow these steps.

• Right-click on the desktop, select New and then choose Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, enter the command for shutdown shutdown.exe -s -t 00.
    • Click Next, then type the name of this shortcut.
    • Click Finish.
    • Right-click the shortcut on the desktop, then select Pin to taskbar.

Let us know the outcome.

Marby Rey, Dec 7, 2023
Thema:

1. win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown - Similar Threads - can't edit shutdown

2. update and shutdown doesn't shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    update and shutdown doesn't shutdown: Windows forcibly downloads and installs an update.Windows demands permission to restart.Click on 'update and shutdown' through the power menu.Computer ignores the user instruction.Computer updates and restarts.I'd like to eliminate step 4 in the process....
  3. update and shutdown doesn't shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    update and shutdown doesn't shutdown: Windows forcibly downloads and installs an update.Windows demands permission to restart.Click on 'update and shutdown' through the power menu.Computer ignores the user instruction.Computer updates and restarts.I'd like to eliminate step 4 in the process....
  4. win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown: can't edit shut down settings and power button doesn't shut down the laptop There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but when I press it when the computer is running it just does nothing no matter what I set it to do in the power settings...
  5. win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown: can't edit shut down settings and power button doesn't shut down the laptop There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but when I press it when the computer is running it just does nothing no matter what I set it to do in the power settings...
  6. Win 10 - power issues in shutdown and hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 - power issues in shutdown and hibernate: Hello community My laptop has been having below described issues for over 6 months. I have uploaded the system data. Kindly refer and assist to resolve the issue. What happens: Below are the issues experienced, though randomly but occurs frequently. Sleep - unable to...
  7. Change power button to 'Update and shutdown'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change power button to 'Update and shutdown': Hello, The situation right now is that when i press the power button my computer shuts down and thus ignores the pending updates. I would like to configure the power button to automatically update my computer and shutdown. I am using: Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise...
  8. power,sleep,& shutdown settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power,sleep,& shutdown settings: I am running windows 10 home x64 on an Acer laptop. When I put my pc to sleep I want it to shutdown automatically after say 45 minutes. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks & Cheers....
  9. Power Shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Shutdown: Loaded Windows 10 recently. Now it shuts down unexpectantly and must manually reboot. Slow coming up, needs help at times.What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/power-shutdown/4c522aac-dc94-4939-8804-ca411bcfd3cf
  10. Can't get shutdown button on lockscreen on win 10 home

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get shutdown button on lockscreen on win 10 home: For some reason I can't get the shutdown button to appear on my friend's win 10 home laptop running the creators update (I dont know if he had it before this update as I just upgraded him and noticed it was missing). I went to...