Windows 10: Win 10 clean install from USB created too small a "system reserve partition"

Discus and support Win 10 clean install from USB created too small a "system reserve partition" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I created the Win 10 installation media on USB from the download site around Jan 28, 2021. I used it now Feb 9 2021 to do a clean install of Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Glmiross, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Glmiross Win User

Win 10 clean install from USB created too small a "system reserve partition"

Hi, I created the Win 10 installation media on USB from the download site around Jan 28, 2021. I used it now Feb 9 2021 to do a clean install of Win 10 and took the advanced install option. At the disk partition screen I deleted all the existing partitions on drive 0 and then clicked next to let windows create the partitions and install. All went smoothly except the "system reserve partition" is only 50MB instead of minimum 500MB. This is the second time I have tried this and each time it is too small and causes the "Create system image" to fail on a "not enough space for a shadow copy" message.

It looks like the download from Microsoft is corrupt or wrong as it is not installing itself correctly. Have Microsoft fixed it the USB install media? I could re-create the installation media if they have fixed it.

Thanks for your help with this.

:)

Glmiross, Feb 10, 2021
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition

Greg, that what I was saying yesterday before I did a clean install on a Legacy system using 2004. Like Pauli O, it does create a 50 MB partition, the OS partition and a recovery partition of varying sizes.

Since they no longer place the Recovery Tools in the System Reserved partition, it does not need to be as large, but why they choose 50 MB was probably a mistake and the Win 7 Imaging utility does not complete. Sort of like when Win 8.1 was released, the
    same thing happened when the Winre.wim became too large to leave enough room for the VSS to work. To get around that, you could create those 3 partitions manually during the install..

As far as this thread, it appears those drives were set up by cloning or some other way, using the third party utilities..

Saltgrass, Feb 10, 2021
  3. elstaci Win User

Hi Mr. Carmack,

I don't believe my computer will boot if I use UEFI Mode only which is why I have it set for both BIOS/UEFI mode in BIOS.

But then I again I really haven't tried since I have been doing In-Place upgrades since Windows 7 thus always had BIOS mode on my computer which always had MBR HDD and not GPT HDD.

But in the past when I did need to do a Clean Windows Installation for Windows 10 Pro, It always created a System Reserved Partition of around 575 Mbytes never 75 Mbytes like with version 2004.

I have a Asus Sabertooth 990FX gen.2.0 with a AMD FX8350, GTX 1070, 16 Gbytes of Corsair RAM Memory, 850 Watt Corsair PSU (8 Y/O) 5 HDDs, 4 Burners (2 Blue Ray and 2 IDE connected to a PCIe IDE card), HP Printer, Internal Card Reader, Internal 3-USB
    ports device & 7 USB Hub with a MS Webcam.

Here is a Snip of my Disk Manager AFTER increasing the System Reserved and Recovery Partitions:

Win 10 clean install from USB created too small a "system reserve partition" [​IMG]

By the way, I used both methods of formatting the raw HDD. The first time after deleting the C: Partition I used "New" which then created both the System Reserved and Windows Partition and the second time after deleting Windows Partition and show C: Drive
    as Raw I then hit "Continue" with the same results with both ways.

I always use MS Creator's tool to download and create a Windows.iso file which I save for the future. Then I use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to burn both a USB Flash drive and burn a DVD Windows Install disc.

It used the DVD Windows Install disc to install Windows each time.

NOTE: Once (first time I did a Clean Windows install using version 2004) I used DISKPART to create a new C: Windows partition to repair a BOOTMGR IS CORRUPT error and then ran the Windows installer and it didn't give me the option to delete the created
    partition and went straight to installing Windows.

Later on after installing my 3rd Party apps I found out that Windows Installer didn't create neither a System Reserved nor Recovery Partition. The entire HDD was the Windows Partition by itself.

So I went back and ran the Windows Installer again so that it will create the System Reserved and Recovery Partition again.

elstaci, Feb 10, 2021
  4. Pauli O Win User

"Like I mentioned before, In the past Windows Installation disc would create a System Reserved Partition of at least 575 Mbytes until this last clean Windows installation"

That old 500 MB System Reserved partition may have from time when there wasn't separate Recovery partition at the end of the disk. According to Microsoft support site partition layouts of v2004 are close to what MS
    has recommend to manufacturers to be used, only exception (bug) is this 50 MB System Reserved partition.

When I did clean install of v2004 on (all 5-6 system, BIOS and UEFI) I use instructions and diskpart scripts on this MS support site to get those recommended disk layouts.

Hard Drives and Partitions

Pauli O, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Win 10 clean install from USB created too small a "system reserve partition" - Similar Threads - clean install USB

2. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  3. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Partition too small: I have a windows 10 build 1909 ... two years ago I had trouble updating to 1909 due to System Reserve Partition too small. At the time I worked with a program and probably have made a mess. 1909 has reached end of support and once again I have the same issue ... I want to...
  4. System Reserved Partition too small

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition

Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition: Hi, I have a laptop that needs Windows 10 reinstalling on it, as it has some errors on it. The laptop was previously a Windows 7 unit but worked OK on Windows 10 for a while. My question is this: The laptop has a legacy System Reserved partition on it, which I assume is...
  6. Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition

Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition: I needed to do a Clean Windows installation. I used a Windows Install disc which I burnt from Windows.ISO file created by MS Creator's Tool. The reason why was because I kept getting BOOTMSG error BOOTMSG IS CORRUPTED. SYSTEM CAN NOT BOOT when booting up with both my C:...
  7. Partition is too small

Partition is too small: I am installing Windows 10 on a laptop. Everything was going fine until I tried installing on "Drive 0 Unallocated Space". It gives me the "Windows cannot be installed on this drive. When I click details it reads, "This partition is too small. Make the size of this partition...
  8. How to create a System Reserved Partition???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create a System Reserved Partition???: In my laptop, i have 2 drives,first one is 1TB HDD which is completely empty and have no System Reserved Partition but second one is 120GB SSD, in which the windows 10 is installed and it also do have 549MB System Reserved partition. My question is there any to way to create...
  9. Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?

Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?: Hi Guys, I don't think this is a big issue, rather an oddity?... I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1703 on a new PC. Single hard-disk, newlly partitioned as follows: Partition 1: 40GB, set to "Primary, Active) - This is where Windows was...
  10. Dialog box from a clean USB flash drive's installation is too small.

in Windows 10 Support
    Dialog box from a clean USB flash drive's installation is too small.: After doing the usual with the BIOS I attempted to install Windows 8.1 from a bootable USB flash drive. However, the opening W.8.1dialog box, (language, etc.) was so small I had to use a magnifying glass to read it. And more importantly I could not get it to operate when...