Windows 10: Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed

Discus and support Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Got a new laptop with HDD added a NVMe SSD. Cloned HDD onto SSD and set boot configuration in BIOS I think. Didn't remove Windows from HDD. Computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by J B Horne, Mar 5, 2020.

1. J B Horne Win User

Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed

Got a new laptop with HDD added a NVMe SSD. Cloned HDD onto SSD and set boot configuration in BIOS I think. Didn't remove Windows from HDD. Computer boots faster but slows to a crawl once the background screen is reached. Is there a conflict between the two OS's? I wanted to preserve the old copy of Win 10 because I've had SSD's fail on me the second cost me work files. The laptop has a 10th generation CPU even though the clock is only 1 GHz I was expecting performance better than a 4th gen CPU. Thus my confusion as to a successful BIOS boot sequence reset. How can I preserve a copy of my boot drive if I must remove the original files from the HDD? I don't mean an ISO image. I want a clone. Does this mean software to clone to a external drive?

:)

J B Horne, Mar 5, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Cannot clone original install

Are you dragging and dropping the partitions? The destination drive should be unallocated (clean). Then you click on Clone this disk under the source disk you want to make the clone of. Then you click on Select the disk to clone to in the bottom pane of the next window. Then you click on the destination drive that you want to clone to. Then you drag and drop the partitions you want to clone from the top (source drive) pane to the unallocated space on the bottom (destination drive) pane. You can click on the dropped partitions in the bottom pane and select partition properties to resize the partition when it is cloned. Once you get the destination drive looking the way you want to, click on finish.

Step 1: select Clone this disk under the source disk:

Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed [​IMG]

Step 2: Select destination disk

Step 3: Drag and drop partitions

Step 4: Select partition and select cloned partition properties to change the size

Step 5: Everything in desired place and desired size, click Finish

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2020
  3. cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Mar 5, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Wondering about a second hard drive and installing Vista on it and also a ..

iv'e had too many problems to list like that, thats why i suggested disconnecting the original drive(s) and using the BIOS to choose what drive to boot from.

Mussels, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed - Similar Threads - cloned second drive

2. Cannot create recovery drive usb from Win 10 OS on new cloned ssd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot create recovery drive usb from Win 10 OS on new cloned ssd?: I have been trying to create a recovery drive for my Asus 703 laptop running win 10. I cloned the previous 256 gb ssd to a new samsung 500 gb ssd and wanted to create a recovery drive and cannot stalls or get message recovery files not there so want to repair the win 10 OS on...
  3. Cannot create recovery drive usb from Win 10 OS on new cloned ssd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot create recovery drive usb from Win 10 OS on new cloned ssd?: I have been trying to create a recovery drive for my Asus 703 laptop running win 10. I cloned the previous 256 gb ssd to a new samsung 500 gb ssd and wanted to create a recovery drive and cannot stalls or get message recovery files not there so want to repair the win 10 OS on...
  4. Cannot create recovery drive usb from Win 10 OS on new cloned ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive: I have windows 10 pro on my laptop. I need to replace the OS drive where win10 is installed.(current solid state drive is Samsung 850 EVO, new drive is Samsung 860 pro, windows 1o pro 64 bit, OS build 19041.746 )1) How do Clone my old drive to the new drive ? What do I use to...
  6. Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive: I have windows 10 pro on my laptop. I need to replace the OS drive where win10 is installed.(current solid state drive is Samsung 850 EVO, new drive is Samsung 860 pro, windows 1o pro 64 bit, OS build 19041.746 )1) How do Clone my old drive to the new drive ? What do I use to...
  7. Cloning OS drive

Cloning OS drive: I'm running 10 on a refurb'd Dell which came with 10 on an SSD. I would like to make a bootable clone of the OS on a 2nd SSD of the same size (128 gig). I've used Macrium in the past to clone a 7 OS disk, worked fine, but I have read a few threads online where a user has...
  8. Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure

Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure: I've read up on creating dual boot setups, and for a while had a second system on a partition of my only hard drive. Gave that up as unwieldy and installed a second disk for backups. I propose to install a copy of my OS on the new disk as a partition. Couple of questions:...
  9. cloning win 10 os disk

cloning win 10 os disk: Evening folks. I have a win 7 pc which I clone with Norton Ghost 15 on boot cd which gets me out of trouble regularly especially when trying new software out. I also have a win 10 laptop which does not work with NGhost, presumably because of the UEFI file system or...
  10. Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue: So I have a laptop with two 500 GB hard drives in it. I was going to clone these two drives using a Wavlink USB 3.0 dual bay docking station , and clone them onto a pair of 2 TB drives. Some how my two source drives have become not boot able. I have connected...