Windows 10: Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window

Discus and support Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This has been happening to me for some time now, maybe 2 years on and off, it seems to go through phases. Example 1 - The other day I had Adobe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DaveSumner1, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window

This has been happening to me for some time now, maybe 2 years on and off, it seems to go through phases.

Example 1 - The other day I had Adobe Bridge open on my left screen in fullscreen mode and MS Excel 2016 on the right screen. I was typing in Excel and suddenly everything closed down and a minimised File Explorer Window opened on my desktop.

Example 2 - I was playing Sniper Elite 4 and the game closed for no reason and a File Explorer screen opens minimised on my desktop.

Example 3 - I was browsing the internet, I had several Chrome browser pages open, they all just closed and I was looking at a minimised file explorer screen on my desktop.

When everything closes, they all just run back up again, the system doesn't crash, there are no BSD's and nothing in the event log. I have tried looking at the dump files and there is nothing there and I have tried Appcrash programs and they report nothing. I have looked at scheduled events in the scheduler and found nothing, I have stopped nearly all startup programs, just MS Essentials running now. I have 16GB of RAM so it isn't a memory issue, I don't get any memory errors. I have tried graphics drivers, a new graphics card, I have done all of the pointless SFC checks and still nothing. I have moved my swap file to an SSD but that also didn't change anything.

Can someone at Microsoft please shed some light on what is causing this please?

:)

DaveSumner1, Feb 17, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 17, 2020
  3. AliceZ Win User
    Win 10 closing and open programs

When I close my Win 10 there are a few "open" items showing but they are visible for less than a second and I cannot see the names of the program(s) that is still open and then Win 10 closes. With my Win 7 if there is a program open when I closes Win 7,
    it will show me the open program(s) and ask me if I want to same them, force close, etc. However, Win 10 doesn't do this because the file name goes away very quickly for me to make note of the name. How can I tell which program was open when I close Win 10,
    if I can't read the name(s)?

I believe one program was "Program Manager" but not sure because it went off the screen so quickly.

I wonder why Win 10 doesn't have the same closing notification which I can read as my Win 7 has?

No one else using Win 10 have this "problem" when closing and a program is still open?

Is this something to worry about? I don't need any more worries as I am still trying to discover what I like about Win 10 over Win 7.

AliceZ, Feb 17, 2020
  4. rdwray Win User

Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window

Close File Explorer Window

This code did list the Explorer windows, but I ran the "close" shell as Administrator with two Explorer windows open and it did not close either.

rdwray, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window

1. Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window - Similar Threads - Closes Running Programs

2. Open File and Close Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open File and Close Explorer: Is there something like a context menu option to open a selected file and close File Explorer Windows Explorer at the same time? Sometimes I know that I have no further need for Explorer after selecting a file.Thanks!...
  3. Open File and Close Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open File and Close Explorer: Is there something like a context menu option to open a selected file and close File Explorer Windows Explorer at the same time? Sometimes I know that I have no further need for Explorer after selecting a file.Thanks!...
  4. Win 10 suddenly won't open any programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 suddenly won't open any programs: My desktop PC was on , and had been working OK, left it for a short while and when I came back to it, could not open any windows programs from the taskbar or start panel or desktopCould open Malwarebytes, ran a scan, no problems in terms of virus etc. and CoH game and File...
  5. Win 10 suddenly won't open any programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 suddenly won't open any programs: My desktop PC was on , and had been working OK, left it for a short while and when I came back to it, could not open any windows programs from the taskbar or start panel or desktopCould open Malwarebytes, ran a scan, no problems in terms of virus etc. and CoH game and File...
  6. Win 10 suddenly won't open any programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Close Running Programs

Close Running Programs: Because Windows Live Mail stopped downloading emails from the server Earthlink after I did the Feature upgrade to Windows 10, version 2004 on 9/16/2020, I have to close all running programs for the fix I found. I am not sure how to do that so want to find out the correct...
  8. Windows 10 - File Explorer file opening and closing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - File Explorer file opening and closing: When I open a file in File Explorer and then close it, after the close File Explorer does not return to File Explorer, but to some other app I have open. How can I set this to return to FE upon file close....
  9. Can't run any programs or open any files after disk repair.

Can't run any programs or open any files after disk repair.: Got a notification that windows needed to restart after solving a disk error (I don't remember the exact wording). After the restart and entering my PIN, it got stuck on the welcome screen, loading, for over 2 hours. I fixed this with a suggestion from another post on here,...
  10. windows 10 files explorer is closing randomly when network drive is open is there any...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 files explorer is closing randomly when network drive is open is there any...: Hi windows 10 files explorer is closing randomly " it could be happening when network drive is open" is there any solution for this issue thanks...