Windows 10: Win 10 CU (not FCU) stutters and freezes a lot with various operations

Discus and support Win 10 CU (not FCU) stutters and freezes a lot with various operations in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get momentary freezes and stuttering with a range of Windows menu operations. *sarc These are the ones that are top of mind but I'm sure there are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Nov 10, 2017.

1. x509 Win User

Win 10 CU (not FCU) stutters and freezes a lot with various operations

I get momentary freezes and stuttering with a range of Windows menu operations. *sarc These are the ones that are top of mind but I'm sure there are others. Win 10 Pro 64, up to date on patches.

• Xing out a FireFox tab
    • Click on FILE menu (drop down is delayed)
    • FILE > Print (printer list or print menu is delayed)
    • Selecting a higher level on the file path in the SAVE menu
    • Search menu at bottom of Windows
    • Typing in many situations.

Any suggestions? Or this this a known problem in Win 10? I've had this problem for some time, but lately it has gotten me really PO'ed.*Confused

:)

2. Macros_1 Win User

Computer freezes when I open task manager.

I've had this issue for at least 6 months now. Happened on CU and also FCU. System will stutter and will eventually freeze when task manager is open. First indication is that the mouse gets wonky and doesn't move correctly (moves slowly and delayed).

The few times I've gotten lucky and closed task manager when the issue started happening, everything cleared up right after task manager closed.

i7 w/ 16GB RAM.

SFC and DISM are clean. Happened on CU and now FCU. Did a complete system reload on CU and FCU was a fresh install. Issue came back after each. Saw it on a Surface Pro 3 that I had before I got a new machine for the reload on CU.

Hopefully someone has an idea how to fix this.

Macros_1, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Still on 1607/Anniversary Update, missing 1703/CU and 1709/FCU

Hello Greg.

Thank you for great info!

I have used both the Media Creation tool and the Update Assistant on different systems with success in the past (some upgrades also to FCU).

However, for the described system I thought I should try to just let Windows Update do the job (which also has worked great on various systems before). So, I am wondering why Windows Update has not offered CU or FCU on the system in question? What can be
    the reason(s) why Windows Update holds back updates (to both CU and FCU)?

If the reason is some kind of compatibility problem it would be interesting to know. Also, the system currently works OK and has little software installed (in addition to Windows itself). The hardware is also quite standard (no special adapters etc.). See
    list above.

Jørgen

JørgenJohanson, Nov 10, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Try a Clean Boot. If this works, then add one startup item or Service at a time, rebooting each time until the strange behavior starts again, then you will know the problematic device.

spunk, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Win 10 CU (not FCU) stutters and freezes a lot with various operations - Similar Threads - FCU stutters freezes

2. Windows 10 freezing a lot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 freezing a lot.: This started either in October or August of 2021.Ever since then, there will be a 3 or 4 day period when Windows explorer freezes. I can tell this has happened because the clock is stuck at an old time.When this happens, sometimes I can still use some apps for a little while...
  3. Windows 10 freezing a lot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezing a lot.: This started either in October or August of 2021.Ever since then, there will be a 3 or 4 day period when Windows explorer freezes. I can tell this has happened because the clock is stuck at an old time.When this happens, sometimes I can still use some apps for a little while...
  4. Windows 10 freezing a lot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Various BSOD crashes Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Various BSOD crashes Win 10: For a few months now I have been experincing intermittent bsod errors which over the past few weeks have become unbearable at times often causing upto 10 crashes within the space of an hour or two, then will run fine for 12 hours or so. The main culprit is SYSTEM SERVICE...
  6. Windows 10 stutter/freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stutter/freeze: hi, specs: i7 2600k 3.4ghz stock gtx 1060 16gb ddr3 1600mhz windows 10 gigabyte z68ap-d3 temps are fine, and all components are under 50% usage. im experiencing a weird stutter thats seemingly random, the best way i can describe it is the video freezes and the audio cuts out...
  7. Mail & Calendar App in Win 10 CU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail & Calendar App in Win 10 CU: The windows app will not launch when accessed. Below is what I get: [img] I go to the store as directed and get this: [img] Then I get this over and over and over: [img] I ran Sfc /SCANNOW and the results are below [img] The only way to...
  8. Win 10 FCU shutdown issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 FCU shutdown issue: Does win 10 FCU shutdown in a different manner as compared to previous ones? Because both of my PCs, one with a HDD and another with SSD is shutting down slowly after the updates. Please share your opinions 101063
  9. Win 10 CU update Quirk

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 CU update Quirk: Hello Guys and Gals, after updating to Win10 CU i cannot align my icons even with the task bar, i was able to do this before the update, is anyone else having this issue ? , is it possible to resolve it Thanks in advance 81203
  10. Windows 10 Stuttering / Freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Stuttering / Freeze: Hi to everyone, first of all, sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language. Windows 10... where to begin? Since now it disappointed me a lot, hope you can change my mind solving my problem. Long story short: I kept my windows 8.1 since a week ago, when I...