Windows 10: Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?

Discus and support Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine, the Windows Defender Antivirus Service doesn't start. If I go to services.msc to start it manually, I get an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by glnz, Nov 13, 2020.

1. glnz Win User

Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?

On reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine, the Windows Defender Antivirus Service doesn't start. If I go to services.msc to start it manually, I get an error box that "The system cannot find the file specified". See screenshot:

Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix? [​IMG]

What I've discovered by right-clicking the service and looking at its Properties is that this service points to a subfolder that isn't there any more. It fails to point to a newer subfolder in the same folder.

It currently points to: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe" .

Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix? [​IMG]

However, the subfolder 4.18.2008.9-0 no longer exists in the folder
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\

Instead, that folder "platform" has two newer subfolders with the names
    4.18.2009.7-0 and
    4.18.2010.7-0
    Both of those newer folders have the file MsMpEng.exe.

So, how can I get the Windows Defender Antivirus Service to point to one of those newer folders, ideally the (maybe) newest one with the title 4.18.2010.7-0?

Failing that, how can I create the missing folder 4.18.2008.9-0 and copy into it everything that is in the newer folder 4.18.2010.7-0? This is a heavily secure area, and the normal New Folder, Rename Folder and Copy and Paste operations are blocked even though I'm in the Administrators group on my machine.

And I also have exactly the same problem with Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service, which points to the file 4.18.2008.9-0\NisSrv.exe, except that 4.18.2008.9-0 no longer exists..

Thanks.

:)

2. Mayra Aqu Win User

win 10 defender issues

Hi,

Windows Defender helps in making your computer secure from any viruses or malware. Listed below are some reasons why the program will not work properly:

• Software conflicts (usually cause with other anti-virus application)
    • Virus and malware infection
    • Corrupted system files

To help you with the issue, we suggest following the steps provided by
    PrashantKumar96
    on this thread
    that can help in running your Windows Defender successfully.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Nov 13, 2020
  3. window defender

• You will want to print these instructions for offline reference -
    IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP perform all Steps in one uninterrupted session - If a Step says to reboot
    reboot.

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Pləase let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains.

• `~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Nov 13, 2020
  4. yahanna Win User

EMERGENCY - Boot Loop After Win Update

Hi zbook,

I already answered him that "Fix VSS Problems" doesnt fix the problem. What do you suggest?

yahanna, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix? - Similar Threads - Defender doesnt start

2. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  3. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  4. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to fix a wrong password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how to fix a wrong password: my sister got scammed the other day and she let someone on her pc online and they went all through her pc and then set a password they used 654321 and they allowed you to try to reset it but then it asked for a reset key/ thumbstick to reset that password. so i had to use my...
  6. how to fix a wrong password

in Windows 10 Support
    how to fix a wrong password: my sister got scammed the other day and she let someone on her pc online and they went all through her pc and then set a password they used 654321 and they allowed you to try to reset it but then it asked for a reset key/ thumbstick to reset that password. so i had to use my...
  7. did restore point, now win 10 wont start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    did restore point, now win 10 wont start: Just finished a restore point. Now Dreaded blue screen. " Your PC did not start correctly" Restart just shuts down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-restore-point-now-win-10-wont-start/bca14ad7-964a-4ae3-9985-dcd2c90a7529
  8. Win 10 Only Starts In Safe Mode & Doesnt Wake

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Only Starts In Safe Mode & Doesnt Wake: This problem started a bit ago. I went to wake my PC from sleep mode and, despite the fan blowing, my screen remained black. Futhermore, it now only starts in safe mode. Ive done a clean boot and ran automatic repair, but nothing's changed. Anyone have any ideas?...
  9. Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?: On reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine, the Windows Defender Antivirus Service doesn't start. If I go to services.msc to start it manually, I get an error box that "The system cannot find the file specified". See screenshot: [img] What I've discovered by right-clicking...
  10. how start again the upgrade to win 10 from point left over???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how start again the upgrade to win 10 from point left over???: Was problem less spce in reserved partition I freed space in reserved partition but after the below >>> pressing install >>> screen go light blue installing... but a small message/alert appear windows 10 can not install // is it because was connected with Teamviewer...