Windows 10: Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?

Discus and support Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; On reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine, the Windows Defender Antivirus Service doesn't start. If I go to services.msc to start it manually, I get an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by glnz, Nov 14, 2020.

1. glnz Win User

Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?

On reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine, the Windows Defender Antivirus Service doesn't start. If I go to services.msc to start it manually, I get an error box that "The system cannot find the file specified". See screenshot:

Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix? [​IMG]

What I've discovered by right-clicking the service and looking at its Properties is that this service points to a subfolder that isn't there any more. It fails to point to a newer subfolder in the same folder.

It currently points to: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe" .

However, the subfolder 4.18.2008.9-0 no longer exists in the folder
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\

Instead, that folder "platform" has two newer subfolders with the names
    4.18.2009.7-0 and
    4.18.2010.7-0
    Both of those newer folders have the file MsMpEng.exe.

So, how can I get the Windows Defender Antivirus Service to point to one of those newer folders, ideally the (maybe) newest one with the title 4.18.2010.7-0?

Failing that, how can I create the missing folder 4.18.2008.9-0 and copy into it everything that is in the newer folder 4.18.2010.7-0? This is a heavily secure area, and the normal New Folder, Rename Folder and Copy and Paste operations are blocked even though I'm in the Administrators group on my machine.

And I also have exactly the same problem with Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service, which points to the file 4.18.2008.9-0\NisSrv.exe, except that 4.18.2008.9-0 no longer exists..

Thanks.

:)

2. Ztruker Win User

@ginz, what version of Windows 10 do you have? Start key+X. Run. Type winver and press Enter.

For instance, I have 20H2 (OS Build 19041.661)

Reason I ask is I do not have a Windows Defender Antivirus service but I do have a Windows Security Service.

I also have

You may want to try doing a Repair Install. See this tutorial by Shawn Brink:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade You should get this screen:

Ztruker, Nov 14, 2020
  3. glnz Win User

On reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine, the Windows Defender Antivirus Service doesn't start. If I go to services.msc to start it manually, I get an error box that "The system cannot find the file specified". See screenshot:

What I've discovered by right-clicking the service and looking at its Properties is that this service points to a subfolder that isn't there any more. It fails to point to a newer subfolder in the same folder.

It currently points to: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe" .

However, the subfolder 4.18.2008.9-0 no longer exists in the folder
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\

Instead, that folder "platform" has two newer subfolders with the names
    4.18.2009.7-0 and
    4.18.2010.7-0
    Both of those newer folders have the file MsMpEng.exe.

So, how can I get the Windows Defender Antivirus Service to point to one of those newer folders, ideally the (maybe) newest one with the title 4.18.2010.7-0?

Failing that, how can I create the missing folder 4.18.2008.9-0 and copy into it everything that is in the newer folder 4.18.2010.7-0? This is a heavily secure area, and the normal New Folder, Rename Folder and Copy and Paste operations are blocked even though I'm in the Administrators group on my machine.

And I also have exactly the same problem with Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service, which points to the file 4.18.2008.9-0\NisSrv.exe, except that 4.18.2008.9-0 no longer exists..

Thanks.

4. glnz Win User

Ztruker - I have Version 1909 (Build 18363.1016).
    Will the in-place upgrade keep my 1909?
    Will it delete ANY apps or files?
    Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I have apparently fixed this in a weird way.

I have a small file which lets me do things in cmd as Trusted Installer. In that role, I renamed the subfolder 4.18.2009.7-0 as 4.18.2008.9-0 since Windows Defender Antivirus Service and Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service are looking for 4.18.2008.9-0.
    (I could not do this in cmd merely Running as Administrator; I got Access Denied. I had to be Trusted Installer.)

Then, in services.msc, I was able to start both Windows Defender Antivirus Service and Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service. Yay!

Then in Settings - Update & Security, I re-ran a Security Intelligence Update that had failed to run, and this time it ran well.

Now, back in services.msc, in Properties for both Windows Defender Antivirus Service and Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service, those services are now pointing to the latest subfolder 4.18.2010.7-0 !!!! Perfect (so far).

MANY THANKS to all who posted here. Everyone's suggestions led me to this train of thought.

Wow. I deserve a day off.

Thema:

1. Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix? - Similar Threads - Defender doesnt start

2. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  3. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  4. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to fix a wrong password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how to fix a wrong password: my sister got scammed the other day and she let someone on her pc online and they went all through her pc and then set a password they used 654321 and they allowed you to try to reset it but then it asked for a reset key/ thumbstick to reset that password. so i had to use my...
  6. how to fix a wrong password

in Windows 10 Support
    how to fix a wrong password: my sister got scammed the other day and she let someone on her pc online and they went all through her pc and then set a password they used 654321 and they allowed you to try to reset it but then it asked for a reset key/ thumbstick to reset that password. so i had to use my...
  7. did restore point, now win 10 wont start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    did restore point, now win 10 wont start: Just finished a restore point. Now Dreaded blue screen. " Your PC did not start correctly" Restart just shuts down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-restore-point-now-win-10-wont-start/bca14ad7-964a-4ae3-9985-dcd2c90a7529
  8. Win 10 Only Starts In Safe Mode & Doesnt Wake

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Only Starts In Safe Mode & Doesnt Wake: This problem started a bit ago. I went to wake my PC from sleep mode and, despite the fan blowing, my screen remained black. Futhermore, it now only starts in safe mode. Ive done a clean boot and ran automatic repair, but nothing's changed. Anyone have any ideas?...
  9. Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Defender doesnt start bc points to wrong subfolder - how fix?: On reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine, the Windows Defender Antivirus Service doesn't start. If I go to services.msc to start it manually, I get an error box that "The system cannot find the file specified". See screenshot: [img] What I've discovered by right-clicking...
  10. how start again the upgrade to win 10 from point left over???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how start again the upgrade to win 10 from point left over???: Was problem less spce in reserved partition I freed space in reserved partition but after the below >>> pressing install >>> screen go light blue installing... but a small message/alert appear windows 10 can not install // is it because was connected with Teamviewer...