Windows 10: Win 10 Desktop - one folder with 30 subfolders completely gone

Discus and support Win 10 Desktop - one folder with 30 subfolders completely gone in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi & help! *cry At a total loss here. Win 10 HP EliteDesk 800 G4 about 7 months old. 1TB External backup always running. No issues with either and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Miami305, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Miami305 Win User

Win 10 Desktop - one folder with 30 subfolders completely gone

Hi & help! *cry

At a total loss here. Win 10 HP EliteDesk 800 G4 about 7 months old. 1TB External backup always running. No issues with either and about 150 folders with many more subfolders (pics, videos, business files, the usual) Don't access many business folders consistently and none since Covid started, but today needed a picture - and -- the ENTIRE business photo folder is completely gone.

Gone from the PC. Gone from the backup. Every other folder, subfolder and file is there in both places as usual. Nothing else missing. Folder was too big to not notice if I mistakenly moved or deleted. Tried searching by folder and subfolder name - nothing on either device. It could have been gone since March, or gone yesterday - no idea since I hadn't gone to look for anything in a while. It's been there prior since around 2013, though, with no issues - on the last 3 desktops I've had.

Found a handful of the missing images I had posted elsewhere and searched both devices by file name. I thankfully did find some of those in a few old phone upload folders (many hundreds of photos all in one folder direct from camera roll, nothing organized like the missing folder was.) however it did NOT appear anywhere else. It's clear that folder is just 100% gone.

I've changed to "show all files and folders" - nothing
    Looked in every other folder everywhere - nothing
    Looked on the backup drive - nothing
    Looked on every USB drive - nothing

I can't imagine how it would dissapear from both devices; even if say I deleted or moved the whole thing by mistake from my desktop (not likely) - it should have been on the backup drive!

I am stuck - any troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated before I call it lost -- then spend about 8 hours going through whatever old folders I have to pick the pictures out one by one and re create 30 replacement folders *Sad

Thanks all!

:)

Miami305, Jun 9, 2020
  2. hld2 Win User

List all file folders, followed by subfolders and files in them was in Windows 7. Is it possible to get this list in Win 10

List all file folders, followed by subfolders and files in them was in Windows 7. Is it possible to get this list in Win 10 in the same order?

hld2, Jun 9, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 9, 2020
  4. JohnCPR Win User

How to copy a list of subfolders from a folder to a system folder

I was able to copy the Documents regular folder saved on the separate drive and pasted it onto the Documents system folder in the C drive. I was advised by a Microsoft representative that the copy and paste should place the subfolders directly under the
    system folder. Unfortunately, the Documents regular folder is now a subfolder in the Documents system folder.

I would need to drag and drop each of the 30 subfolders onto the Documents system folder since I have not found a method to simply highlight all the subfolders as I would do with a list of files to do this in one operation.

Do I need to use a console command to do this or is there another way? If a console command please provide one since I have not used the console for years.

JohnCPR, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 Desktop - one folder with 30 subfolders completely gone - Similar Threads - Desktop folder subfolders

2. Desktop Folder gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Folder gone?: I recently deleted my desktop folder on accident while cleaning things out on one drive. I quickly restored it but most of my files were removed from my desktop. I tried moving the actual desktop folder form the C drive onto one drive but then I realized it didnt fix anything...
  3. Desktop Folder gone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Folder gone?: I recently deleted my desktop folder on accident while cleaning things out on one drive. I quickly restored it but most of my files were removed from my desktop. I tried moving the actual desktop folder form the C drive onto one drive but then I realized it didnt fix anything...
  4. win 11 folder subfolder issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 folder subfolder issues: I have a folder on my desktop i would like to move back into its correct place. I get a message saying, "The destination folder is a subfolder of the source folder". I can't figure out how to fix this....
  5. win 11 folder subfolder issues

win 11 folder subfolder issues: I have a folder on my desktop i would like to move back into its correct place. I get a message saying, "The destination folder is a subfolder of the source folder". I can't figure out how to fix this....
  6. Files gone but folders and subfolders still here

Files gone but folders and subfolders still here: Hi,unfortunatelly i have saved quite a lot on my desktop. Today when I started my laptop, all of the older files were gone, but the folders were somehow still here, including subfolders. Newer files that I have worked on in the past few days are also still here. So is all the...
  7. Files gone but folders and subfolders still here

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files gone but folders and subfolders still here: Hi,unfortunatelly i have saved quite a lot on my desktop. Today when I started my laptop, all of the older files were gone, but the folders were somehow still here, including subfolders. Newer files that I have worked on in the past few days are also still here. So is all the...
  8. Two Music Folders, One a Subfolder of the Other

in Windows 10 Support
    Two Music Folders, One a Subfolder of the Other: Windows 10 Version 20H2 I recently did some housekeeping in my Music folder and somehow ended up with two "Music" folders. Here's how they display in Windows File Explorer: As you can see in the screenshot, the icon for the main folder, the subfolder directly under libraries,...
  9. User folder completly gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User folder completly gone: I've changed the user name of the current windows user through an admin account. After a change in the registry and a reboot the whole data in the user folder is gone. I`ve tried to restore the data through the .bak and rename back. But it does not work. The recovery with...
  10. Personal Folder disappeared in desktop (NOT subfolders) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Personal Folder disappeared in desktop (NOT subfolders) in Windows 10: This morning my personal folder (my 'Eric' folder...my name is Eric...clever, no?) disappeared from my desktop. I've searched online all morning and all the advice's imparted are instructions to restore the SUBfolders to their default location (e.g.,documents, pictures,...