Windows 10: Win 10 desktop startup issue

Discus and support Win 10 desktop startup issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Upgraded to Win 10 a couple of months ago on Toshiba laptop. All was well until about 3 weeks or so ago, after an OS update. Windows will still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 11290, Nov 14, 2015.

1. 11290 Win User

Win 10 desktop startup issue

Upgraded to Win 10 a couple of months ago on Toshiba laptop.

All was well until about 3 weeks or so ago, after an OS update. Windows will still startup to the desktop however a couple of seconds after the desktop screen appears, the default browser (Firefox in this case but did not matter which one is checked as default - have Edge, Chrome and FireFox) opens to an MSN homepage. Not really a HUGE problem as I can click and close it out but it is just an annoying issue. Have been virtually everywhere in the system and cannot find anything that will stop this. Have checked plugins, searched for malware, looked at task and startup manager and can find nothing that will stop.

Any help / ideas would be appreciated.

:)

11290, Nov 14, 2015

2. Win 10 desktop icons keep moving left after startup

Win 10 desktop icons keep

moving left after startup

Plymouth Bubba, Nov 14, 2015
  3. DonKnight Win User
    Win 10 loads as far as desktop then reboots

Win 10 downloaded and startup goes as far as desktop then reboots continually.

DonKnight, Nov 14, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Have you checked out Task Scheduler?

Or Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Start-up? (Talk about well buried!).

5. 11290 Win User
    No, did not even know that existed. It sure is buried. Did not find anything there although honestly, I could not really figure out what some items there were.

11290, Nov 14, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    Maybe you should record here what is in startup?

There are two registry locations that should be checked as well.
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    And the same again except it starts with HKCU (HKEY_CURRENT_USER)

linw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 desktop startup issue - Similar Threads - desktop startup issue

2. Win 10 Desktop startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Desktop startup: Helloon my desktop I used to get amazing pictures from around the world whenever I started my windows 10, now I only get the same picture, any idea how to get that fixed. my laptop seems to display these amazing photosThanks...
  3. Win 10 Desktop startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Desktop startup: Helloon my desktop I used to get amazing pictures from around the world whenever I started my windows 10, now I only get the same picture, any idea how to get that fixed. my laptop seems to display these amazing photosThanks...
  4. Win 10 Desktop startup

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Win 10 Desktop PC Boot up issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Desktop PC Boot up issue: Hi, my desktop PC suddenly stop working last week and now when trying to boot up it says there is an issue and just keeps trying to fix itself. It just keeps going round in circles and won't get past. I have tried opening in safe mode and still get the same issue. I suspect...
  6. Win 10 startup question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 startup question: I just got a refurb'd Dell 9020 w/win 10 pro 64. I generally prefer win 7 and would like to get 10 to look & run like 7 as much as possible. On startup, the OS opens with a pic, then you hit enter & have to enter the PW. I'd prefer the PC just open to the desktop, no pic 1st,...
  7. win 10 startup issue locks up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 startup issue locks up: I downloaded a win 10 upgrade from win 7 32 bit but am having startup issues. I tried several avenues thru dos prompt and now i get a slow bootup but then it locks up. I cant do anything else but restart. Can you please help me fix this issue? I may be able to get back to dos...
  8. Win 10 Startup hangs at desktop screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Startup hangs at desktop screen: I recently reinstalled Win 10 completely because of the issue described below. I have only installed a couple of my regularly used applications, and now the same issue has recurred. I think the reinstall was version 1907 but I Can't check that. Startup appears to be quite...
  9. Win 10 startup slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 startup slow: I can log-in. Though time is slow to complete. Once logged in I have about 2 min before an auto reset. Screen says it cannot access sense serrvice. I need help to sort this out. 73062
  10. Win 10 stalls on startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 stalls on startup: Upgraded Hp Pavillion Dv7 laptop from windows 7 Ultimate to windows 10 Pro. Now when computer turned on gets to screen showing 4 section window and rotating circle of dots. After about 6 seconds dots stop, hard drive light goes out and then nothing. Have left computer set for...