Windows 10: Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu

Discus and support Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi! I have a laptop which came with a Windows 8 digital license. So when upgrading to Windows 10 the activation went automatically. The motherboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GormTheOld, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu

Hi! I have a laptop which came with a Windows 8 digital license. So when upgrading to Windows 10 the activation went automatically. The motherboard have a soldered Core i5, but I would like to upgrade it to a Core i7. My issue becoming that I have to change it to a motherboard with a soldered Core i7. I am wondering if it is possible to do this and keep the current license belonging to the laptop, or do I have to get a new Windows 10 license? Thanks.

:)

GormTheOld, Aug 1, 2021

2. Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware (motherboard, cpu ram)

Hello,

I have a digital license of Windows 10 that is linked to my Windows account. I've just replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram and whenever I attempt to reactivate my license the activation troubleshoot says "Unable to activate Windows, We can't reactivate Windows
    on this device, Try again later.

Prior to changing my hardware I double checked my digital license, The activation said "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

If I run 'winver' It also lists the produced is licensed to my Microsoft account.

According to this article below, All I should have to do is goto the activation troubleshooter and everything should work.

Article Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

What are my next steps?

Thanks.

JonathanTC92, Aug 1, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

Hello codebeastmode, *Smile

If this is for a retail license, then yes you could use the "Activation troubleshooter" to activate your linked digital license to your Microsoft account with the new motherboard/cpu.

*Arrow Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Be sure you link your license to your Microsoft account before changing the motherboard/CPU.

*Arrow Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Aug 1, 2021
  4. Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu

If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

Just as the title states, I'm going to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm wondering if my windows 10 pro digital license will be able to be transferred over?

In case it matters, but I'm sure it doesn't, it will be from a core2quad to an i5 8th gen, I know MS had rules/issues with upgrading hardware back in the day, not sure how it works now.

Thanks in advance! *sarc

codebeastmode, Aug 1, 2021
Thema:

Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu

1. Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu - Similar Threads - digital license upgrading

2. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  3. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  4. Untie digital license from a motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Untie digital license from a motherboard: Hello! Win 10 pro using now. So long story short: I bought a motherboard from a friend who have digital license on the motherboard that now i have. I want to untie the motherboard from that digital license and register it with my MS account. Win is now registered, but with...
  5. upgrading motherboard and cpu

upgrading motherboard and cpu: Hi, I have a question regarding upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I currently have an off the shelf gaming PC purchased a few years ago. I am looking to replace my asrock B-360M andi5-9400F with newly purchased Asus Prime Z390-A and I9 9900k. My question is in regard to the...
  6. Cpu and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cpu and motherboard upgrade: Hi im going to upgrade my system can i format the ssd in my pc without doing a fresh install just deleting the data and put my new cpu and motherboard ? submitted by /u/f9mh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k68v9e/cpu_and_motherboard_upgrade/
  7. Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware motherboard, cpu ram

Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware motherboard, cpu ram: Hello, I have a digital license of Windows 10 that is linked to my Windows account. I've just replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram and whenever I attempt to reactivate my license the activation troubleshoot says "Unable to activate Windows, We can't reactivate Windows on this...
  8. Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade: I recently installed a new motherboard for my computer as I needed to upgrade my CPU. I heard that if I linked my windows 10 license to my Microsoft account I would be able to reactivate after a hardware change. I tried to reactivate but the troubleshooter kept giving me...
  9. CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license: I changed my motherboard and CPU, and now Windows needs to be activated. My Activation tab in the system settings looks like this: [ATTACH] I am signed in with my Microsoft account. I click on troubleshoot and it shows the devices attached to my account. I select the device...
  10. If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?: Just as the title states, I'm going to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm wondering if my windows 10 pro digital license will be able to be transferred over? In case it matters, but I'm sure it doesn't, it will be from a core2quad to an i5 8th gen, I know MS had rules/issues...