Windows 10: Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

Discus and support Win 10 disconnects external drives at random in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, This is my first post, hopefully to the right forum. Please help me understand what’s happening. I recently bought a new machine - Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Boris_85, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Boris_85 Win User

Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

Hello all,

This is my first post, hopefully to the right forum.

Please help me understand what’s happening.

I recently bought a new machine - Dell with Win 10 Pro.

All data is stored on two external USB drives, which I will name here as N: and T:.

Each drive is backed nightly on two other external drives.

From day one, drive N: would disconnect (or would be disconnected) from the system for no reason, at random times. It has never once happened while it was connected to the old machine, a Gateway with Vista.

When that happened, I Would disconnect-reconnect the power supply to the drive and the computer would recognize it instantly. Today, however, “instantly” stretched into several minutes.

Yesterday, drive T: went into coma during a backup to a new drive, at about 65%. I killed the backup process, restarted the machine. The drive was not visible, I thought it died. This morning it was plugged in, became visible, the backup resumed (!) but then stalled at 81%.

Both drives are Seagate. N: is 4.5 years old, T is almost 3. I Know they will die one day, but so far suspect the OS.

Any ideas or explanation are greatly appreciated.

Boris

:)

Boris_85, Feb 12, 2019

2. External hard drive disconnecting

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the external hard drive as it is disconnecting. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the external hard drive?
    • Are you getting any error messages in the device manager?
    Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Connect the external hard drive and perform the following methods.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Method 2: Check if you can see the device in Device Manager

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Device manager.
    • Click on View Tab, Select Show hidden devices.
    • Click on Scan for Hardware changes.
    • Check if the devices show up in Device Manager in the device list.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Feb 12, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

1. Win 10 disconnects external drives at random - Similar Threads - disconnects external drives

2. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly: Out of no where, my HDD has started disconnecting itself a few minutes after it is plugged and requires me to manually turn the external drive on and off if I want to use it again.What i've triedRestarting my PCNot using the HDD under stressful conditions and using better...
  3. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly: Out of no where, my HDD has started disconnecting itself a few minutes after it is plugged and requires me to manually turn the external drive on and off if I want to use it again.What i've triedRestarting my PCNot using the HDD under stressful conditions and using better...
  4. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting

External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting: I have a brand new device and I tried to plug in my hard drive to retrieve some of my files but the hard drive kept disconnecting from my device and I was unable to keep it open for more than two minutes at a time. Sometimes it would show the error message "a device which...
  6. External hard drive disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive disconnecting randomly: I resently bought a seagate expansion plus 4t external hard drive with the intention to download games on it and play them from there. The problem is that if I leave it going to download a game it will after a while disconnect and then reconnect leaving me with a disc write...
  7. External Hd Drive randomly disconnecting and not connecting on reboot

External Hd Drive randomly disconnecting and not connecting on reboot: Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 1903 my Seagate Backup Plus has started to randomly disconnect and sometimes it's not connected on a reboot. I unplug the Seagate and plug it back in and it show right up. Before upgrading to 1903 I was on Win 10 1809 and never had any of...
  8. Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

Win 10 disconnects external drives at random: Hello all, This is my first post, hopefully to the right forum. Please help me understand what’s happening. I recently bought a new machine - Dell with Win 10 Pro. All data is stored on two external USB drives, which I will name here as N: and T:. Each drive is backed...
  9. Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 disconnects external drives at random: Hello all, This is my first post, hopefully to the right forum. Please help me understand what’s happening. I recently bought a new machine - Dell with Win 10 Pro. All data is stored on two external USB drives, which I will name here as N: and T:. Each drive is backed...
  10. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...