Windows 10: Win 10 display driver update causes permanent black screen before and after login

Discus and support Win 10 display driver update causes permanent black screen before and after login in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, have had this problem since 21/2/19 and am tearing my hair out trying to resolve it. Can anyone help? Windows 10 Home edition 1809 gives me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OldAxMan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. OldAxMan Win User

Win 10 display driver update causes permanent black screen before and after login

Hi,

have had this problem since 21/2/19 and am tearing my hair out trying to resolve it.

Can anyone help?

Windows 10 Home edition 1809 gives me black screen before login, after the system HP logo splash screen.

Booting in safe mode lets me use the default MS VGA driver and the screen works fine.

Prior to the latest driver update, the machine has worked fine.

I can access the PC when the black screen problem is there using realVNC server and client from a tablet. No errors displayed, don't know where to look for driver / update error logs if any.

Hardware is HP Pavilion 550-253na desktop with external Samsung S22D300 monitor.

Graphics device is shown as Intel HD Graphics 530 in device manager.

Windows 10 Home 1809 ver 17763.316

Got the feature update to 1809 on 11/2/19, with a quality update on 21/2/19.

The driver that causes the black screen seems to be

Intel Corporation - Display - 11/19/2018 12:00:00 AM - 25.20.100.6446

Which Windows Update wants to reinstall as soon as I remove it.

I have used DDU utility to completely remove the Intel display driver from my system in safe mode, and the system works in normal mode with the default MS VGA driver.

I have now prevented Windows automatically replacing the VGA driver by setting my active hours as long as I can, and turning the PC off outside those hours. I have also set "I will decide" option for Manufacturer's software in System properties.

As this is a Home edition, there doesn't seem anyway to actually disable or postpone driver updates.

If I let Windows Update reinstall the above driver, I get immediate black screen during the update and then permanent black screen until I go into safe mode and remove the driver.

If I simply uninstall the bad driver in device manager using realVNC remotely while black screen is there, the black screen problem returns AFTER login as soon as Windows 10 (Not Update) finds a local "better driver" and reinstalls the bad one.

I have tried uninstalling updates as far back as the quality update and everything since and it makes no difference.

I have followed the steps in Microsoft's "solving black screen issues" support article, and it makes no difference.

I have referred this to HP support and am getting nowhere.

They have a later driver, 25/2/2019 25.20.100.6577, but that also causes the black screen problem. They have so far referred me back to HP, who don't seem engaged.

The latest driver on the HP site is the failing 6446 one, which it lists as being for build 1803. Nothing listed for 1809.

The Intel site has information about changing to new DCH drivers, which may be something to with this, but I don't know what drivers I would need to install to get a matching set, as it were, if Windows 10 can't achiever that.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to put as much information in to see if anyone can resolve this, or at least identify what the likely cause is.

Help?!

:)

OldAxMan, Mar 4, 2019

2. Black screen cause by the driver in Windows 10.

Hello Rares,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you check if similar issue persist in Safe mode?

• Does the issue occur randomly or when you run a particular application?

I suggest you to update the display drivers manually by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.

• Expand Display Adapter option.

• Right click on the graphics display driver and select
      Update option.

• Restart the computer and check if the changes are effective.

Also download and install the latest display driver from the manufacturer website to check if the issue is resolved.

Refer to the suggestion by Sharath Srinivasa from the link below and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/black-screen-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/cf3b4559-67d8-40e0-9cf2-ebf4528e1e78?auth=1

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 4, 2019
  3. after login black screen

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that after updating, you’re getting Black screen after login. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I would like to know a few information:

•Did you install all pending Windows Updates and also updated all device drivers after installing Windows 10 Technical Preview?
    •Did you try to boot the computer in Safe Mode? If yes do you get the display screen?

Also, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to refer to the following article and check if it helps:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Method 2:

Further, if you are able to get the display on the screen, then you may update the display drivers from the Device Manager to check if this helps.

Follow these steps to update the display driver:

•Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

•Expand “Display Adaptor”.

•Right click on the video driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information helps.

Please provide us the required information to search more about this and understand the issue more clearly and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ankit Rajput, Mar 4, 2019
  4. Win 10 display driver update causes permanent black screen before and after login

win 10 update leaves vertical pink line on screen

today i applied latest win 10 update and now i have a vertical pink line on screen, it remains on every screen. i have tried these fixes

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan,
    System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.
    Step 2: Also, I suggest you to update the display drivers and check.

Steps to Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + Xkey when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software
    BUT i still have the line on screen.

tinacaston, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 display driver update causes permanent black screen before and after login

1. Win 10 display driver update causes permanent black screen before and after login - Similar Threads - display driver update

2. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  3. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  4. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login: I was recently doing a system restore after my computer started acting wonky, however, the restore got hung up, so after about 10 hours or so, I gave up and did a hard shutdown. Now when I’m booting up my laptop, i get the Acer splash screen, however, after that I just get a...
  5. Black screen before log in after win 10 updates

Black screen before log in after win 10 updates: After updating win 10 on acer aspire 7535G laptop, I cannot log in to windows. Just get a black screen and no matter what I do nothing works. I cannot get into safe mode to troubleshoot or repair. I was speaking to a Microsoft technician but was cut off after about 15 mins....
  6. Black screen before log in after win 10 updates

Black screen before log in after win 10 updates: After win 10 updates yesterdaymay have been interupted cannot log in on Acer Aspire 7535G. This laptop has not been used for a few months but was working before the updates. I have tried turning the on off switch 3 times. I have tried control/alt del also Win+ctrl+shift+b....
  7. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen before login: Hi, I have a desktop PC, about 6 years old, running Windows 10. In the last few days, it was coming up with a black screen showing the curser only, randomly, after being used for a short while nothing specifc seemed to trigger it, I was just browsing the Internet or...
  8. Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login

Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login: I get a blank screen before login after Windows 10 1903 update. What do I do next (see below for what I have done): Like many, I recently got the ultimatum that I must update my Windows 10 if I want to continue to receive support updates. So I scheduled the update for 2...
  9. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...
  10. Display driver causing black screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display driver causing black screen: Dear helpful people, On the weekend I eagerly put together my new PC. Progressed through the windows 10 installation smoothly, and proceeded to install drivers for all of my hardware and periferals. During the process my screen went black, and I assumed it to be resetting...