Windows 10: Win 10 Documents Folder Problem

Discus and support Win 10 Documents Folder Problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have what appears to be a very difficult problem. I used LapLink PC Mover Professional to move my files and programs from my desktop PC to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobMackenzie, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Win 10 Documents Folder Problem

Hi,

I have what appears to be a very difficult problem. I used LapLink PC Mover Professional to move my files and programs from my desktop PC to my Surface Pro 3 laptop. In the process my This PC>Document folder became locked up with the OneDrive > Mucic folder in that a subfolder in that Music folder is another Documents folder [OneDrive>Music>Documents]. It is identical in content to This PC> Documents.

Snip1

Win 10 Documents Folder Problem ccfade2d-9ca4-4a95-8839-6a151d45ebd3?upload=true.png

Snip2

Win 10 Documents Folder Problem fd4a11bb-8f3b-4471-9549-d7d827319965?upload=true.png

If I delete the OneDrive>Music>Documents folder to the Recycle Bin, the This PC> Documents folder is no longer accusable. I get a rather long error message that the location no longer exists. (I didn't capture the exact error message and hesitate to do the delete again for fear of really messing things up. But, I can do so if necessary.)

If I restore the folder from the Recycle Bin to the OneDrive>Music folder, the This PC Documents folder is functional again.

I could just leave everything alone, but I don't know the long term effects. And I would like to have a proper folder construction.

I did set the proper values to stop OneDrive from being able to store files in the future.

Anything you can do to help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

:)

BobMackenzie, Dec 3, 2018

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Win 10 Documents Folder Problem

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 Documents Folder Problem

1. Win 10 Documents Folder Problem - Similar Threads - Documents Folder Problem

2. Documents Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder Problem: New computer with Windows 11. I do not want to use OneDrive and I fooled around and moved my Documents folder no, I'm not sure what I did but now some of my software that's supposed to write to the Documents folder isn't working. Can you help me untangle the mess I made?Anita...
  3. Documents Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents Folder Problem: New computer with Windows 11. I do not want to use OneDrive and I fooled around and moved my Documents folder no, I'm not sure what I did but now some of my software that's supposed to write to the Documents folder isn't working. Can you help me untangle the mess I made?Anita...
  4. Win 11 File Explorer Document Folder problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 File Explorer Document Folder problems: I had to do a clean install of Win11 due to some problems running programs. After the installation and restoring of my personal files from the cloud, I've been having problems with my Documents and Pictures folders showing in File Explorer. I am having trouble keeping them...
  5. Win 11 File Explorer Document Folder problems

Win 11 File Explorer Document Folder problems: I had to do a clean install of Win11 due to some problems running programs. After the installation and restoring of my personal files from the cloud, I've been having problems with my Documents and Pictures folders showing in File Explorer. I am having trouble keeping them...
  6. document folders win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    document folders win 11: On my previous win 10 computer I had 8 external drives attached, I redirected the DOCUMENT folder to a folder on one of these externals to save space on my main drive c:. drive, That computer "died"; I bought a new win 11 and attached all the external drives to it--win 11...
  7. document folders win 11

document folders win 11: On my previous win 10 computer I had 8 external drives attached, I redirected the DOCUMENT folder to a folder on one of these externals to save space on my main drive c:. drive, That computer "died"; I bought a new win 11 and attached all the external drives to it--win 11...
  8. Problems with Files in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with Files in Documents Folder: I have noticed that in my Documents folder some of the files have an "X" over the icon. This may be indicating some files that I have not opened in a while or that are older. I attempted to open a Word document with the "X" and I am not allowed to open it.Is this a feature of...
  9. Problems with Files in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Files in Documents Folder: I have noticed that in my Documents folder some of the files have an "X" over the icon. This may be indicating some files that I have not opened in a while or that are older. I attempted to open a Word document with the "X" and I am not allowed to open it.Is this a feature of...
  10. Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10: Hi all, MS Windows 10, Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.746) Hoping someone can help me solve a frustration I'm having... I installed Win 10 just around a year ago and I'm sure I somehow managed to move the location of my documents folder. Not much of a problem as it still...