Windows 10: win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port

Discus and support win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently set up a new computer with Windows 10. I have a hard drive that I removed from my old (Windows XP) PC, and have connected it as an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GiffordKucsma, Jun 21, 2019.

1. win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port

I recently set up a new computer with Windows 10. I have a hard drive that I removed from my old (Windows XP) PC, and have connected it as an external drive to the new Win 10 PC using a Unitek USB 3.0 to IDE adapter. The adapter has its own power supply so it does not need to draw power from the PC's USB port.

When I plug the adapter's USB A connector into the Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 fails to detect it. The hard drive's motor does spin up, as I can feel it when it does.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to get Windows 10 to detect the external drive, a Western Digital Serial ATA drive.

:)

GiffordKucsma, Jun 21, 2019
  2. SVLingam Win User

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Klaw117 Win User
    External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

I should note that one drive is a USB 3.0 external hard drive while the other is a USB 3.1 external solid state drive. Both are being plugged into only USB 3.0 ports. The two ports that don't detect the external HDD and SSD will detect regular USB thumb drives.
    No, I have not tried different cables. However, the cables and drives work fine in other USB 3.0 ports either in the back or the front.

Nothing is listed in Disk Management.

These are getting power from the USB ports. The external HDD's LED turns on but does not spin. In other ports with the same cable, it does. The external SSD lights up too but the storage doesn't seem to be detected unless plugged into another port.

As stated above, all ports are USB 3.0.

There are no errors in the Device Manager.

Based on the questions/answers being given here. It sounds like there may be a power issue with the two USB ports. Do thumb drives and external drives have different power requirements?

Klaw117, Jun 21, 2019
  4. Janakaprd Win User

win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port

External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.

I disconnected the hard disk without safely ejecting it. Now that usb port doesn't detect the external hard drive. But it detects other usb devices. Also the external hard drive works with my other usb ports. Please help me to fix my usb port.

Janakaprd, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port

1. win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port - Similar Threads - does detect external

2. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  3. USB port not detecting external devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port not detecting external devices.: I am having a PC running Windows 11.I am trying to connect a Kobo Clara HD e-Reader to my laptop. I can see my reader is charging when connected to my PC. But I am unable to view the explorer like before to transfer files into it.This used to be working fine several months...
  4. external usb hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external usb hard disk not detected: my external hard disk not shown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-disk-not-detected/a54ed419-5284-4aff-9ac2-0168bc107bf2
  5. external usb hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external usb hard disk not detected: my external hard disk not shown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-disk-not-detected/a54ed419-5284-4aff-9ac2-0168bc107bf2
  6. USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB port only recognizes external hard drive.: One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge...
  7. External hard drive connected by USB port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive connected by USB port: I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?...
  8. External hard drive not detected (USB 3.0, SATA)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive not detected (USB 3.0, SATA): Hi. I'm trying to connect an external hard drive to my PC but it won't show up. Best I can do with it is light it up. If I connect it to a USB 2.0 port, it keeps on disconnecting as it should. But on 3.0 ports, it either lights up or doesnt light up but not show up at all....
  9. USB external drive detection

USB external drive detection: My Lenovo Yoga does not detect an external cd/dvd drive plugged into the usb port. How do I make it search for the device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-external-drive-detection/4dd6bbfd-99da-47cd-8a89-a2a521d6ac12
  10. usb port on dell XPS does not reconize my external hard drive or anything

usb port on dell XPS does not reconize my external hard drive or anything: my usb port on dell XPS does not reconize my external hard drive or anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb/fe9dfc85-4ead-4abf-99e7-6806aa34af2e