Windows 10: Win 10 does not see files on CD/DVD rom

Discus and support Win 10 does not see files on CD/DVD rom in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I performed the upgrade on Windows 10 after installation I was trying to install office 2007, the DVD rom drive is seen by win 10 because I can eject... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bobc4d, Aug 1, 2015.

1. bobc4d Win User

Win 10 does not see files on CD/DVD rom

I performed the upgrade on Windows 10 after installation I was trying to install office 2007, the DVD rom drive is seen by win 10 because I can eject the disk but no files to be seen in explorer and it won't auto start despite all the settings.. I have changed the auto start to: ask me, run always then back to auto all to no avail. I have also tried my Gigabyte disk to load the drivers for the board, same thing. I do get an occasional "directory name invalid d:" where d:\\ is he DVD rom drive.

I need the computer to load my 3D program, if I can't resolve this I will scrap win 10 and reload win 7.

:)

bobc4d, Aug 1, 2015

2. cd rom not working after update

when i updated to win 10 I lost the use of my cdrom it shows up in device manager device manager says the working properly it show up in files in my computer I have the latest update to win 10 thro the slow update.

I have another computer with the same update and cd rom works perfectly.

I have installed cdrom recorders to try and use the rom to no avail.

when i click on the cd rom in my pc with a cd installed it tells me to insert a compatable cd or dvd.

The door does not open with the button ooor either does the light come on on the dvd rom drive.

I have unistalled the rom indevice manager and restarted the computer, I have uninstalled the driver and rebooted still nothing.

Is there any hope for this rom??

BernardHiggins_677, Aug 1, 2015
  3. himelj Win User
    DVD drive not recognized

Win 10 does not see the CD-ROM . Running troubleshooting did nothing. Device Manager does not list the

cd-rom. Windows 10 chat has a minimum 180 minute wait. Come on Microsoft - WAKE UP !!!!!

himelj, Aug 1, 2015
  4. bobc4d Win User

I solved my issue, this worked for me found it on drivers.com

• Click on Start -> Run
    • Type regedit to open Registry Editor
    • Navigate to following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
    • Right-click on atapi and Select New->Key
    • Type Controller0 and press Enter
    • Right-click on Controller0 and select DWORD (32-bit) Value
    • Type EnumDevice1
    • Right-click on EnumDevice1 and click on Modify
    • In the Value Data box, type 1
    • Click on OK
    • Exit Registry Editor

bobc4d, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Where did you find the info to do that?

Ztruker, Aug 2, 2015
  6. bobc4d Win User
    bobc4d, Aug 2, 2015
  7. cjlister Win User
    Thanks BOB it works fine for me.

cjlister, Aug 19, 2015
  8. caylar Win User

My first time editing the registry; and it wasn't difficult.

If I could add to Bob's instructions, however, Line 6 should include New; it should read

6. Right-click on Controller0 choose New and select DWORD (32-bit) Value

I had finished my message by saying that it worked for me. Well, it did once after a Restart. But only once. Changing back to 0, or even to 2 or 3 (I was just guessing) brought no benefit. The machine will read videos and audios but not data files.

What is clear and consistent on my machine is that starting in Safe Mode allows any DVD to be read. But that is a crazy way of resolving the issue.

Any suggestions?

J

caylar, Feb 21, 2016
  9. I had exactly the same issue. Trying to open an Office 2007 on a Windows 10 machine. Your solution worked a treat. Thanks ever so much!

RedcarMike, Jan 10, 2017
  10. SusanC Win User
    I had the same problem and I was able to fix it.

My question is - Why doesn't Microsoft fix the problem in an update? Or is there a good reason that they haven't?

SusanC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 does not see files on CD/DVD rom - Similar Threads - does files DVD

2. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Rom: On My Windows 10 Dell Computer My CD/DVD Don't Work No CD's Or DVD's Will Play Is There A Driver Missing What Can Be The Problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-rom/6e54509b-68b3-4134-aa08-365459368b93
  3. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD/DVD Rom: On My Windows 10 Dell Computer My CD/DVD Don't Work No CD's Or DVD's Will Play Is There A Driver Missing What Can Be The Problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-rom/6e54509b-68b3-4134-aa08-365459368b93
  4. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. dvd/cd-rom

dvd/cd-rom: Ever since 2/4/21 I have not been able to use my disc drive. Says operating normal but it wont open and I can hear it spinning. Have got a lot of error codes,,,, 2, 7023, 642, 257, 7030,215, 318,10010, 1534, 10002,...
  6. DVD/CD-ROM

DVD/CD-ROM: windows 10 does not find my DVD/CD-ROM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom/2ea72ae2-a716-44c5-86f7-a654e1dd0074
  7. dvd cd rom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dvd cd rom: I had to get an external cd rom my laptop does not have on built in. I need help connecting it with my laptop. I know there is something I have to download in order for it to work but I don't know what that is. a vlm or vlc or something. can anyone help me please...
  8. DVD CD/rom

DVD CD/rom: DVD player not downloading program. Info says its working properly but it aint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-cdrom/e62e51e6-54ed-4c70-b2b2-be00e465b118
  9. DVD/CD ROM

DVD/CD ROM: my DVD/CD ROM missing some drives doesn't read blank discs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom/cf6ec6ea-3c4d-4f3f-889c-c1abe759469a
  10. DVD/CD rom

DVD/CD rom: My DVD/CD player is constantly running. I have hundreds of irreplaceable pictures on it and I'm afraid to eject the DVD for fear of losing all these pictures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvdcd-rom/dc8fdc32-ac8b-4d00-8a14-953fe64eb3f6