Windows 10: Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives

Discus and support Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Win Explorer shows my network as < empty > on one of my PC's A little background info. I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops connected on my home network, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Graebeard, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Graebeard Win User

Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives

Win Explorer shows my network as < empty > on one of my PC's

A little background info. I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops connected on my home network, all running Win 10 and up until a few weeks ago, everything worked fine. Have not added any new software or changed any settings unless inadvertently. Basically, it was working in the morning and not working later in the day.

So now -
    Recently, all three other machines can see my PC as a Network drive, and can access it. However, on my PC, the Network listing shows as empty.

I've reviewed the Network and Local Services settings of one laptop and my pc but could not find anything relating to networking that was different.

I then setup some Network Locations using the " L: \\Laptop\Users " setup. This gave me an Explorer entry under My Computer as Laptop but clicking on it showed only a Default and Default.migrated folders. The URL bar showed > Network > Laptop > Users

Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives [​IMG]

Just for fun, I clicked on Laptop in the URL bar and lo and behold I had access to all the Laptop folders, which could now be navigated, AND, in the left hand pane, the highlight dropped from Laptop to Network. However, clicking now on Network said < this folder is empty >

Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives [​IMG]

So, I have a feeling that my network and sharing settings are fine, it's Explorer 11 that's acting strange.

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Graebeard, Oct 14, 2017
  2. nick_24 Win User

Net Use command does not work in Windows 10

I am running Win 10 Pro and have a NAS attached to my network.

I have a set of Net Use commands in a BAT file that fine with Win 7 and Win 8/8.1 pc's on the network

With Win 10m the BAT file executes with no reported errors, a simple NET USE from a CMD prompt shows the drives are allocated correctly, however from EXPLORER the shaed drives are not accessible.

Can anyone help? How do I successfully share network storage in windows 10?

nick_24, Oct 14, 2017
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Making a Win XP PRO 32bit SP3 into a dual boot Win XP/Win10 system

MeanSpitfire,

"When in Win 10, File Explorer shows Win 10 in F:.

When in Win XP, Windows Explorer shows Win XP in C:."

Just to reassure you - that is perfectly possible and is not an indication of a fault or associated with any faults you are experiencing. I have had a Win7-Win10 dual boot showing these same unexpected drive letters for a year without any problems [in win10,
    OS drive is F; in Win7, OS drive is C].

Tryx3, Oct 14, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are not seeing network shares on another machine, this has been caused by smb v1 and also third party security software can cause it. Double check your advance sharing permissions. This is something that has been covered in the tutorials.

bro67, Oct 15, 2017
  5. Graebeard Win User
    Thanks Bro67.

I've tried it with both SMB 1.0 and its sidekick SMB Direct On and Off with no difference. My other computers have SMB 1.0 On and the SMB Direct Off, and I tried that as well. No difference. What bothers me is that all my machines can actually connect and share files except that on my pc, I can't see the other computers under Network, but only if I go through the L: \\server\users process, then backup into the L: \\server part. That indicates to me that somehow File Explorer is missing something that it had previously.

Graebeard, Oct 15, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    You need SMB v1 turned off. You also need to check your advanced Sharing and if set with a Password, you need to use the Username and Password that you have those shares setup as. Instead of sharing between multiple Machines, it is easier to just use a NAS to keep the files up in that local Cloud. This topic is something that you will find multiple topics on an dthe Tutorials are your best source for trouble shooting.

The one way to know what shares you see is to enter the following command in a Command Window. net use

See the following on how to map network shares from command. How to Map Network Drives From the Command Prompt in Windows

We are going to run into this again when the next major update comes out.

bro67, Oct 15, 2017
  7. Graebeard Win User
    Thanks Bro67,

If you look at the pictures I had posted, you can see that my shares work just fine if I go in via the URL line. Using File Explorer like that demonstrates that Networking and Sharing is working. What is NOT working properly, is that when the Right Pane shows the folders on the remote pc, the NETWORK in the left pane shows nothing. So, File Explorer's Left and Right panes are not sync'd and that's why I'm focused on File Explorer settings and not Network settings.

Graebeard, Oct 15, 2017
  8. Graebeard Win User

Thanks Bro67 and everyone else for at least looking to help.

I found the answer in the following. Apparently a gremlin or line bump corrupted the Registry to cause the problem. I guess the ## denotes a REM and essentially hides the network computers.

=============================

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking

{ scroll down the thread several pages for this }

Check the following registry key - \HKEY)CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
    Delete anything with ## in front of it. Then restart the computer
    If I ever have an issue with disconnected drives or drives with red X's against them showing up. Deleting these keys usually resolves it.

Edited by GMTeacher Saturday, November 14, 2015 1:51 PM
    Proposed as answer by Notori0us Friday, January 22, 2016 7:24 PM

Friday, November 06, 2015 3:00 PM

=============================================

Thanks everyone

Graebeard, Oct 16, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Just remember that the method listed in the link I posted, gets you into the raw interface to find out maps. There is always SPECCY that you can use, which pulls from different areas. The other is using Policy, which writes the Registry entry for those items.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives - Similar Threads - Explorer showing Network

2. Win 11 File Explorer Showing Some But Not All of Network Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 File Explorer Showing Some But Not All of Network Drives: I have a TP-Link Deco BE85 home network. I have 6 network attached storage NAS devices connected to the network via Ethernet cables Synology DS418Play, DS620Slim1, DS620Slim2, DS620Slim3, DS620Slim4, and Lenovo IX2. Also, I have a Dell XPS 9520 laptop connected to the network...
  3. Win 11 File Explorer Showing Some But Not All of Network Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 File Explorer Showing Some But Not All of Network Drives: I have a TP-Link Deco BE85 home network. I have 6 network attached storage NAS devices connected to the network via Ethernet cables Synology DS418Play, DS620Slim1, DS620Slim2, DS620Slim3, DS620Slim4, and Lenovo IX2. Also, I have a Dell XPS 9520 laptop connected to the network...
  4. Network sidebar not showing in windows 10 explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network sidebar not showing in windows 10 explorer: i am just not able to see a network side bar in windows 10 explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-sidebar-not-showing-in-windows-10-explorer/21bfcbb7-b1db-4a75-8feb-cfca4d6151b9
  5. Network sidebar not showing in windows 10 explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network sidebar not showing in windows 10 explorer: i am just not able to see a network side bar in windows 10 explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-sidebar-not-showing-in-windows-10-explorer/21bfcbb7-b1db-4a75-8feb-cfca4d6151b9
  6. Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives?

Win 10 Explorer not showing Network drives?: Win Explorer shows my network as < empty > on one of my PC's A little background info. I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops connected on my home network, all running Win 10 and up until a few weeks ago, everything worked fine. Have not added any new software or changed any settings...
  7. Network drive Win 7 crashes files explorer Win 10

Network drive Win 7 crashes files explorer Win 10: Hello, Im trying to solve this problem for a while now. Mapped network drive Windows 7 cause file explorer to crash. The strange thing is that the problem only appears after cold start and can be solved by just restarting the computer. Also on other computers with...
  8. Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer

Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer: Why aren't Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer and how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-network-drive-not-showing-in-file-explorer/d3932ee6-2c7d-4ff5-90b6-ff7c596ddc2f
  9. Win 10 Network does not show private networked Win 7 computer

Win 10 Network does not show private networked Win 7 computer: I had two Win 7 PC on a wired homegroup network that worked well sharing files. Upgraded one to Win 10 with a clean install and then restored data and reinstalled apps. After much messing around, the PC remaining on Win 7 can see the Win 10 PC and share the proper files and...
  10. network mapping in win explorer

network mapping in win explorer: *Sad Has anyone found any fixes for the several problems with network mapping? 7185

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 cannot see network drives

2. windows 10 not showing share drives

3. win10 pro cannot see network drives

4. why wont my win10 detect my network drives,
  5. win-10-explorer-not-showing-network-drives,
  6. win 10 explorer not showing mapped drives,
  7. WIN 10 FILE EXPLORER NOT SHOWING NETWORK DRIVES,
  8. win10 file manager network drive not showing,
  9. win 10 not showing other disk drives in file explorer,
  10. explorer not showing network drives