Windows 10: Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files

Discus and support Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Win 7 File Explorer, when you copy files and there are conflicts, it shows a dialog box with the two files with dates and times AND it flags which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sunnyshine, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files

In Win 7 File Explorer, when you copy files and there are conflicts, it shows a dialog box with the two files with dates and times AND it flags which one is newer. This last feature is something that has made life drastically easier for me and is not available in Win 10. Instead I am required to make an extra click in order to compare the two files and then I have to evaluate the date and time of the two files myself, which takes a lot longer and could be prone to error. In Win 7 File Explorer I was able to readily see the "newer" flag and could whiz through any conflicts.

The font in Win 10 File Explorer is tiny, spindly and grey, with hard-to-see highlights for selections, so I have been looking for an alternative File Manager. Without downloading a dozen of options and trying each one, I have seen no mention of the File Conflict (newer) feature that was offered in Win 7. Any suggestions for a file manager with a white background (not black) that might have that feature, be able to sort by filename, date, etc., and be easier to read?

Thank you for your assistance.

:)

sunnyshine, Jan 24, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files

Delicieuxz, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files

1. Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files - Similar Threads - File Explorer limitation

2. Issues copying files through File Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues copying files through File Explorer: Some how windows file explorer copying files is not working as it used to... If I copy and past a large block of files, it starts reading the block and then closes. Thank you for your Support. ***Modified title from: Windows File Explorer***...
  3. File Sharing - Problem Copying Files With File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing - Problem Copying Files With File Explorer: With Win7 support gone, I finally got 2 Win10 x64 Pro v1909 machines up and running. Like so many other Win10 users, I have struggled to get network sharing to work. I have Googled, read and followed countless procedures and suggestions over the past few weeks, ad nauseam....
  4. "Do this for all conflicts" when copying / moving files using Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Do this for all conflicts" when copying / moving files using Windows Explorer: When I copy files using Windows Explorers and the same files already exist in the target folder I get a dialog that says "There is already a file with the same name in this location." At this point I have two options: "Copy and replace" or "Don't copy", with a checkbox at the...
  5. How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to fix Windows 10 File Explorer slowdown when copying files?: Hello! This is my first ever post on this website, so please excuse me if I accidentally don't follow some of the traditions/rules of this site. Anyway, so here's why I'm asking about this. On Sunday night of this week I left with my family for a trip to the college my...
  6. Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10 Copy path or Copy as path will copy the full path of selected items (files and folders) wrapped in quotes to the Clipboard so you can paste the full path(s) of the item(s)...
  7. Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy: I have a new clean install of Win 10 but it only allows me to open one copy of File Explorer. My understanding is that you can open as many File Explorer as I like. I choose Start and File explorer and after the first open file nothing happens. BUT Just found out that if...
  8. Latest build -- file explorer not showing progress when copy files

in Windows 10 Support
    Latest build -- file explorer not showing progress when copy files: Hi there big big problem --latest (preview) build - file explorer not showing progress when copying / moving files. This - unless fixed soon will cause me to revert to previous build. Anybody else got this or is it just something with my update. (W10 Pro X-64)....
  9. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  10. Copying / moving files form Win Explorer not possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying / moving files form Win Explorer not possible?: When I try to copy / move a file or folder from the Win Explorer (as admin) to another program this sign is shown, transferring is not possible: [img] How could I make it work? 72751