Windows 10: Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error?

Discus and support Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all. I don't think I've seen this on previous versions of Windows; this might be a unique glitch to Windows 10? First, I want to show you a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pez, Sep 27, 2015.

1. PEZ
    Pez Win User

Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error?

Hi all.

I don't think I've seen this on previous versions of Windows; this might be a unique glitch to Windows 10?

First, I want to show you a screen-capture pic of my storage: My "C" drive (I also have a "D" drive, a separate SATA HDD); my "C" drive is a Samsung SSD. As you'll see, it has 171GB free out of 232GB:
    http://
    Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error? [​IMG]

Roughly a little over 60GB of space taken up with the Win 10 installation and the various programs I've installed since.

So, I was clicking around, and I clicked on Start/ Settings/ System/ Apps & Features; the Default seems to be that it will Sort them by Size; look at this partial screen-capture pic:

At the top of the list, you see that first program? Calibre? Perhaps some of you are familiar with it; you can use it to organize, convert, and read e-books. But do you see the red arrow pointing at its supposed size? 89.5GB?? Uhhhh....no.

Calibre is a relatively small program after installed; I checked its installation folder over in Program Files (x86), and it's 169MB....megabytes....not even one Gigabyte.

Do you see the other red arrows? GiPo MoveOnBoot? Realtek High Definition Audio? Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? None of those sizes are accurate. The only one that is accurate in that picture is the one that does not have a red arrow: Harvester by Good Old Games (GOG) is about 1.5GB installed.

I even went to the Control Panel/ Programs & Features and checked there to see if it was reporting the same; yup. Here's a partial screen-capture pic:

And ya know, especially that GiPo MoveOnBoot program; that little program isn't even one megabyte; it's 612KB!!

I mean, that first pic shows that I have 171GB free out of 232GB. Let's say - according to what's being reported - that I uninstalled the e-book program of Calibre; that would give me back over 89GB. You know what 171 + 89 is? 260GB. My total size of my SSD for the "C" drive is only 232GB.

I've rebooted by computer since discovering this "size" discrepancy-read the other day, thinking it was a fluke and would correct itself after a reboot. Nope.

And....this is a "clean" install from scratch. I had originally done the in-place upgrade to Windows 10 from my previous Windows 8.1. But then I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and put it on a USB drive. And, I didn't just install Windows 10 "over top of" my previous Windows 8.1; I deleted all partitions and, like I mentioned, did a "clean" install from scratch. As you might be aware, when you install a Windows OS over top of a previous Windows OS, when you finally boot to your desktop, in your "C" drive you'll have a "Windows.old" folder; I did not get this folder because I deleted partitions to do a clean install.

What's going on? Any ideas?

Thanks for any input,

:)

2. PezzyDude Win User

Hi all.

I don't think I've seen this on previous versions of Windows; this might be a unique
    glitch to Windows 10?

First, I want to show you a screen-capture pic of my storage: My "C" drive (I also have a "D" drive, a separate SATA HDD); my "C" drive is a Samsung SSD. As you'll see, it has 171GB free out of 232GB:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217//ThisPC_zpscwyvqazc.jpg

Roughly a little over 60GB of space taken up with the Win 10 installation and the various programs I've installed since.

So, I was clicking around, and I clicked on Start/ Settings/ System/ Apps & Features; the Default seems to be that it will Sort them by Size; look at this partial screen-capture pic:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217//Apps-Features_zpsg70zkqwm.jpg

At the top of the list, you see that first program? Calibre? Perhaps some of you are familiar with it; you can use it to organize, convert, and read e-books. But do you see the
    red arrow pointing at its supposed size? 89.5GB?? Uhhhh....no.

Calibre is a relatively small program after installed; I checked its installation folder over in Program Files (x86), and it's 169MB....megabytes....not even
    one Gigabyte.

Do you see the other red arrows? GiPo MoveOnBoot? Realtek High Definition Audio? Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? None of those sizes are accurate. The only one that is accurate in that picture is the one that does
    not have a red arrow: Harvester by Good Old Games (GOG) is about 1.5GB installed.

I even went to the Control Panel/ Programs & Features and checked there to see if it was reporting the same; yup. Here's a partial screen-capture pic:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217//ProgramsFeatures_zpswfxhn00p.jpg

And ya know, especially that GiPo MoveOnBoot program; that little program isn't even
    one megabyte; it's 612KB!!

I mean, that first pic shows that I have 171GB free out of 232GB. Let's say - according to what's being reported - that I uninstalled the e-book program of Calibre; that would give me back over 89GB. You know what 171 + 89 is? 260GB. My
    total size of my SSD for the "C" drive is only 232GB.

I've rebooted by computer since discovering this "size" discrepancy-read the other day, thinking it was a fluke and would correct itself after a reboot. Nope.

And....this is a "clean" install from scratch. I had originally done the in-place upgrade to Windows 10 from my previous Windows 8.1. But then I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and put it on a USB drive. And, I didn't just install Windows 10 "over
    top of" my previous Windows 8.1; I deleted all partitions and, like I mentioned, did a "clean" install from scratch. As you might be aware, when you install a Windows OS over top of
    a previous Windows OS, when you finally boot to your desktop, in your "C" drive you'll have a "Windows.old" folder; I did not get this folder because I deleted partitions to do a clean install.

What's going on? Any ideas?

Thanks for any input,

Pez

PezzyDude, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error?

Hi Pezzy,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I like to inform you that; the screenshots, which you have attached is in unsupported portal.

Refer to the below link, to see how to attach screenshots in the thread.

How to include a screenshot in your post

Meanwhile you may try running System File Checker (SFC) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Sep 27, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Pez,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Your problem is not BSOD related.

Please create a new thread at either the General Discussion section or the Performance and Maintenance section.
    I am not sure which of the 2 sections this belongs.

Thema:

1. Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error? - Similar Threads - File Size Read

2. Error reading or writing history file error!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error reading or writing history file error!!!: How to fix this? I am using Powershell 7. Thank you.Error reading or writing history file 'C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\PowerShell\PSReadLine\ConsoleHost_history.txt': Access to the path...
  3. Cannot read UDF file with Win dvd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot read UDF file with Win dvd: DVD media player not working properly distorted pictere https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-read-udf-file-with-win-dvd/895ee8fb-2e16-4a43-90d6-fe1c7d93b3bd
  4. All Win 10 files and folders set to read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Win 10 files and folders set to read only: All the files and folders on my laptop are set to readonly even new ones I've created myself. There are a number of questions about this on the forum already and I've followed the instructions for setting permissions at admin level and ensuring all folders inherit the...
  5. Error of win 10 desktop icon size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error of win 10 desktop icon size: icon size is too large and takes a lot off the screen. Hope everyone can help me thanks [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-of-win-10-desktop-icon-size/7adb1fb4-b91f-4b1e-8527-438ad502907c
  6. Win 10, v1909, SFC Errors, Reading CBS.log

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10, v1909, SFC Errors, Reading CBS.log: -------------- Background ------------------- I deleted a number of the APPS Microsoft installed (and NOT wanted) when I upgraded from Win-7 to Win-10. After this I noticed a few issues such as: 1) UTube progressive bar slider on videos does not show. 2) Firefox Font icons...
  7. Reading File Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reading File Error: Hi every body, Sorry for my poor English. I have a Program 32-bit from time of Windows XP. In Windows 8.1 it is working normaly, no issues at all. In Windows 10, with UAC Enabled, the Programm starts but when I try to read/save its configuration file therre comes a error...
  8. Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10/ File Size/ Read-Error?: Hi all. I don't think I've seen this on previous versions of Windows; this might be a unique glitch to Windows 10? First, I want to show you a screen-capture pic of my storage: My "C" drive (I also have a "D" drive, a separate SATA HDD); my "C" drive is a Samsung SSD....
  9. Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ?: In Win 7 the default hibernate file size is 75% of RAM. I have 6 GB RAM, dual boot Win7-x64 and Win10-x64. 6 GB RAM shows as installed in both OS's (it's not a hardware reserved issue). Win10 set the hiberfil.sys to 2.39 GB. Win7 set the hiberfil.sys to 4.49 GB. Is...
  10. Win 10, not reading DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10, not reading DVD: My DVD driver is not reading that a DVD is present. Windows Media Player says the drive is empty when it has a DVD inside. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver (E) but nothing has changed. I'd like to watch movies again. Any suggestions? 18550