Windows 10: Win 10 file system crashes

Discus and support Win 10 file system crashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just got a Dell i7 6700 laptop. The file system just crashes with 2 seconds of black screen and then the desktop comes back with no files on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SherlockOhms, May 12, 2017.

1. Win 10 file system crashes

I just got a Dell i7 6700 laptop. The file system just crashes with 2 seconds of black screen and then the desktop comes back with no files on the screen. It does it more when the computer is busy. VPN, Chromecast, anything else and it crashes when I move folder files around on the screen.
    MY old ASUS i7 6500 did a similar thing. If I was looking at a folder with a lot of files. Every once in a while it would just reset to the first file in the folder. My Dell is only a week old and I am disappointed with the performance. Any ideas? I got a message from MS that a big new update is coming. I hope it cures this.

:)

SherlockOhms, May 12, 2017

2. How to schedule Windows Update Downloads.

Ok, have follwoowed most of this but how do I share these files here? have put in Onedrive folder...

Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

mjm win 10 crash app log.evtx

mjm win 10 crash log.evtx

MJM win 10 crash.txt

Thanks

Millendollar IFA, May 12, 2017
  3. Phantom files preventing sync of files in Sync Centre

Why are you referring a Windows 10 user to a page which says "repair missing or corrupted system files in
    Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash. "? Clearly
    inappropriate.

This is the second case where this inappropriate advice has been given. The system is Win 10 and the page about SFC refers to different OS. Secondly, this is not a case of Windows crash or "some Windows functions may not work". Thirdly, this is a fresh,
    new upgrade of Win 10 on Win 7 Pro so I doubt files would have been corrupted in less than a week. No issues were reported by Win 10 during the upgrade process. Lastly, the phantom files were there before upgrading to Win 10.

Please escalate this to someone who knows about Sync Centre and Network Shares.

Mike300ZXna, May 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Win 10 file system crashes

Hello, if I understand this correctly, your file explorer is restarting.

This is not Windows per se, and this is not normal behaviour. It is most likely related to something installed.

So, a process of elimination.

1. Boot to Safe Mode. Try this for 'long enough' - longer than the time in which you'd typically see a crash. Do you observe any?
    2. Now do a clean boot. (You can configure this from Safe Mode).
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    part 1

When logged in - again, give it enough time to see if there are any crashes.

You can use this time to look at
    a. Your Reliability History (type Reli in Cortana's search bar).
    Look at the red X's- click there and look at reports related to explorer.
    Post a screenshot of anything that looks helpful.

(Use icon 'Insert Image' to the left of the video icon above your post to do that).

b. Also check your event log.

Note: When you do experience an explorer crash, note the time, as you can use the time stamp in the event log to find the right place to look.

3. If you are still experiencing file explorer crashes, download and install Shellexview (free).
    Run that, hide all MS extensions, disable all other shell extensions (things added to explorer).

Now see if you have any file explorer crashes.

Note: some people find the next build upgrade introduces new problems. I've not seen reports of it fixing old ones that I can recall.

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  5. I will try this ans let you know. Thanks for the detailed answer!!!

SherlockOhms, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 file system crashes

1. Win 10 file system crashes - Similar Threads - file system crashes

2. Will the Win 10 C: drive get affected if the system crashed? If the GPU crashed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will the Win 10 C: drive get affected if the system crashed? If the GPU crashed: Hi,I was In the process of changing the TDR values of my laptop, Which I knew could cause the system to crash.I was backing up my folders but I thought about the C driver. Will it get affected?Thanks....
  3. Will the Win 10 C: drive get affected if the system crashed? If the GPU crashed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will the Win 10 C: drive get affected if the system crashed? If the GPU crashed: Hi,I was In the process of changing the TDR values of my laptop, Which I knew could cause the system to crash.I was backing up my folders but I thought about the C driver. Will it get affected?Thanks....
  4. file explorer crash on win 10 + win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer crash on win 10 + win11: Hello,in the last 2 times I used windowswhile I'm browsing some of my folders especially photos folders, file explorer get crash hence lose all the open windows/tabsit happens a lot , it happens daily I saw that issue on win 10 then also on win 11so what's the problem and how...
  5. file explorer crash on win 10 + win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer crash on win 10 + win11: Hello,in the last 2 times I used windowswhile I'm browsing some of my folders especially photos folders, file explorer get crash hence lose all the open windows/tabsit happens a lot , it happens daily I saw that issue on win 10 then also on win 11so what's the problem and how...
  6. Network drive Win 7 crashes files explorer Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network drive Win 7 crashes files explorer Win 10: Hello, Im trying to solve this problem for a while now. Mapped network drive Windows 7 cause file explorer to crash. The strange thing is that the problem only appears after cold start and can be solved by just restarting the computer. Also on other computers with...
  7. File system crashes then computer crashes

File system crashes then computer crashes: Windows explorer freezes up randomly and stops me from accessing my files. This is always followed by a hard crash of my entire computer with the error code "driver_power_state_failure"...
  8. Win 10 thumbnail filing system

Win 10 thumbnail filing system: How do I get thumbdrives to show filing format NTFS or FAT32 in Win 10 Home Version 2004 File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-thumbnail-filing-system/6aaffbc8-484e-4f04-ac2e-b76ff8aa3e25
  9. File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10: Week ago File Explorer started to crash. It hapens all the time when I open two windows with different folders. Here is the problem description: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application...
  10. Reinstall Win 10 on a crashed system.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Win 10 on a crashed system.: With my good PC, I used the MS tool (Media Creation Tool 1803) to create a USB drive that will install win 10 to a different PC. According to the web site, it should boot up to the “install Windows” page. After setting the bios to boot from USB, it booted up into the media...