Windows 10: WIN-10 files, permissions and backups

Discus and support WIN-10 files, permissions and backups in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was forced to upgrade from 1607 to 1903 because my hard drive fried. The computer is loaded but my bat files wont run and I am trying to debug the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dixr_at_Hotmail, Oct 5, 2019.

1. WIN-10 files, permissions and backups

I was forced to upgrade from 1607 to 1903 because my hard drive fried. The computer is loaded but my bat files wont run and I am trying to debug the problems. Most of my backups are done with ROBOCOPY. There are three versions that I have been running: an hourly or daily backup of only files with the ARCHIVE attribute set, and a full that is run every 3-4 days that clears the archive attribute.

The first problem is that the ARCHIVE attribute is set on what appears to be ALL of the system files and I cant clear it. I may get a "Access Denied" (most common), "Not resetting hidden file" or "Not resetting system file" error message. How can I manually clear ALL the ARCHIVE attributes on the whole computer, then I need to set permissions such that the ROBOCOPY will either backup only the files with the attribute set, or backup everything then clear the archive attributes.

The second problem is that when I try to run my ROBOCOPY I get an error that I don't have the proper rights: "Error : You do not have the backup and Restore Files user rights. You need these to perform Backup copies (/B or /ZB)."

I am not running as an Administrator because if I do, then the files are not found: "\\drive\share\" type drive specifications (I forget what those are called). I can not use the "C:\" type file specifications, these routines are used on multiple computers where it fills in parts of the path of the files from parameters from the computer itself.

SO, in summary: How do I get permissions to use ROBOCOPY for my backups? and how do I get permissions to clear the ARCHIVE attribute?

The bat file worked just fine before the Windows upgrade and I need help with the 'new' windows. Both before and after are Windows PRO

:)

dixr_at_Hotmail, Oct 5, 2019

2. Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 5, 2019
  3. PM_47th Win User
    Denied Permission Access to Restored Files from Backup

I think that you have exceeded my limited IT knowledge with that question (it wouldn't take much to do that!)

Suffice it to say that the only thing that I have done is 1) bought a new PC, 2) restored files from a Western Digital backup drive, and 3) found that I could not open files that I had restored due to lack of permission rights.

I can get permission to each file individually by using a method similar to what you suggested: Properties/Security/Advanced and adding my name as a Principal in the list along with System and Administrators.

But I cannot do this for a group of files or a folder.

When I open the Security tab, it says that I "must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object"

It also lists "Owner: Unable to display current owner"

Does that imply that there is an ownership problem, and that I need to globally take ownership of the files somehow?

PM_47th, Oct 5, 2019
  4. WIN-10 files, permissions and backups

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

WIN-10 files, permissions and backups

1. WIN-10 files, permissions and backups - Similar Threads - files permissions backups

2. Permission error to open/copy backup files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission error to open/copy backup files: Hello, I'm Sihyun Park.I have used Windows 10, But upgraded to Windows 11 automatically.After several months, I wanted to go back to Windows 10, But I couldn't.I could go back to Windows 10 only for 10 daysThe only way to go back to Windows 10 was "Reinstall Windows 10".So I...
  3. Permission to backup files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission to backup files: When trying to back up certain files on idrive, I get a backup failure notice with some files marked:[Information] [12/01/2021 8:45:10] [[C:\ProgramData\Documents\][There is no permission to backup the folder]][Information] [12/01/2021 8:45:10]...
  4. Permission to backup files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission to backup files: When trying to back up certain files on idrive, I get a backup failure notice with some files marked:[Information] [12/01/2021 8:45:10] [[C:\ProgramData\Documents\][There is no permission to backup the folder]][Information] [12/01/2021 8:45:10]...
  5. Win 10 Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Backup: I would like to know how I can set the Win 10 backup to a specific folder. I am able to have the backup set to a network drive but cannot see how to set it for a specific folder on the drive. I would appreciate your assistance....
  6. win 10 backup

win 10 backup: I reformatted the hard disc which was full and now I cannot acses backup cycle to start a new backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-backup/c68dd6c7-dc58-42fd-b016-55895e7c351b
  7. File History Backup Win 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup Win 10: I have read many articles over the last 10 years extolling the use of the built in Windows File History facility. Many years ago whilst using Windows 7 I became suspicious of its value as an effective file backup regime when I could not find a few files in the history backup....
  8. Win 10 backup

Win 10 backup: Why does win 10 backup not happen when scheduled https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-backup/8837fd0f-be09-4b5f-ae97-29da44c97fd4
  9. backup win 10

backup win 10: ok I am going to reset the pc and want to know how do I backup my all settings after reinstalling and how do I restore when needed 2.microsoft edge frequently creates problem of not loading any site why so? I restarted pc and it works why...
  10. Win 10 Backup

Win 10 Backup: Using "Backup and Restore (Windows 7) on my Windows 10 System on my Lenovo Laptop, I received the error message. Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\defaultuser0\Contacts. Error:(STATUS_WAIT_2 (0x80070002)) Backup encountered a problem while backing...