Windows 10: Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA)

Discus and support Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi We have 15 win 10 tablets that read and format a PCMCIA card, this is used for data transfer from helicopter health monitoring system. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AirMech, Oct 13, 2016.

1. AirMech Win User

Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA)

Hi

We have 15 win 10 tablets that read and format a PCMCIA card, this is used for data transfer from helicopter health monitoring system.

After the latest update have Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 (LBA) when formatting the using the normal Format.com in windows. This can our helicopters not read.

We are running the format from the command prompt (batch program)

We have talked to Microsoft support – they acknowledge our problem – “but they are unable to help”
    Microsoft suggest update the helicopter – that is not an option.

We have now searched the net for another format program that can run under win 10, but have until now been unable to find one that works, any good ideas?

Best Regards,

Peter

:)

AirMech, Oct 13, 2016

2. Maximum Capacity of External Memory Nokia 6280 & 6230i

Hiya People,

O have a 4GB (3. 68GB) Micro HCSD Memory card in a SD adapter,Itr is not readby the Nokia 6230i in FAT3, when I follow instructions and format in FAT16 with 64 kilobyte allocation unit size, it is not reccognised by the Nokia 6230i.

When I format in FAT16 with 32 kilobytes allocastion it says unable to format!

When I format in FAT16 with 16 kilobytes allocastion it says unable to format!

When I format in FAT16 with 8192 bytes allocastion it says unable to format!

When I format in FAT16 with 4096 bytes allocastion it says unable to format!

When I format in FAT16 with 2048 bytes allocastion it says format complete and it is read by the Nokia 6230i but says not formatted..... When I say Yes to format it says "Operation Failed"!

When I format in FAT16 with 1024 bytes allocastion it says unable to format!

When I format in FAT16 with 512 bytes allocastion it says unable to format!

CAN ANYONE HELP???????

Maybe HCSD Cards are not supported if normal SD card at 4GB is supported at 64kilobytes allocation??

Would appresiate any responces

Cheers

Dave

DaveUK81---01, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Is 9500 replacement model coming?

no, you get a few different types of FAT, Win 98SE ect uses FAT32 this lets you use drives/memory over 2gb. FAT16 limits you to drives/memory to up to 2gb. you also get FAT12 which is what i think some phones like the 6230 uses, this limits you to 16mb

you will notice now that windows uses the NTFS format, this is totally different and is the reason why some people knacker their cards when using a card reader, nokia phones dont understand NTFS or FAT32 only FAT16. So as long as you dont ever format with FAT32
    or NTFS you will be fine (note that win xo will only ever show FAT when you format it, not FAT16 or 32).

i think its best to stick with formatting the card on the phone myself, but if you need to do it on windows your gonna have to use a tool to choose FAT16 - something like partition magic or disk man to manually choose to use FAT16

seraphim---01, Oct 13, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

In Windows go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Disk Management window Right click the PCMCIA cards drive letter and choose Format, Choose FAT and under Allocation unit size, you can take the drop down arrow and choose whichever cluster size the helicopter reads.

spunk, Oct 13, 2016
  5. AirMech Win User
    Hi Spunk

Thank you, but it was not the solution. The prefix there works is 0x06 FAT16 where 0x0E FAT16 (LBA) don't.

We have tested with a old win 8 and it works. But we don't like the idea to replace all the tables, some of them are in Africa....

AirMech, Oct 13, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Disk Management is on the Right-click of the Start button as are several other items such as Device Manager and Command Prompt.

Do the Notebooks/Tablets have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win10? The 64-bit does have issues with FAT16.
    When I want FAT16 or to format a larger HDD such as 250GB to FAT32 I boot to a GPARTED LiveCD to do it. It runs a custom version of Linux. Windows FAT32 has a limit of 32GB.
    I have an External USB DVD drive that works with my 11" 2-in-1 Tablet/Notebook but would have to use an OTG/On The Go adapter for my 8" Dell Venue tablet.
    If using a Desktop computer and doing it frequently I'd add something like this adapter:
    Amazon.com: SEDNA - PCI To PCMCIA / Cardbus Adapter (SE-PCI-PCMCIA): Computers Accessories

Berton, Oct 13, 2016
  7. AirMech Win User
    Hi Berton

We have the hardware in place, and everything thing was working until Microsoft changed the format type.

So what we are looking for is a software program that can format in the old 0x06 FAT16 from the command prompt because we have a batch file that runs when the PCMCIA card is inseted in the reader.

AirMech, Oct 13, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

It just dawned on me that our voting machines use the PCMCIA card. I haven't been able to get in touch with the IT person for the county that maintains them so don't have any particulars as to the OS or the card's formatting. How large are the cards? FAT/FAT16 has limits.
    Maybe some help:
    Format PCMCIA card with FAT16 format for MICB upgrade - Nortel: CS1000 (Meridian) systems - Tek-Tips
    software to format pcmcia as fat16 at DuckDuckGo
    Just for kicks I plugged in a 256MB Thumb drive and found that File Explorer chose FAT for formatting it, other options were FAT32, NTFS and exFAT. FAT16 is pretty much limited to 2GB partition size. The use of LBA/Logical Block Addressing was generally by the BIOS in setting up HDDs.
    File Allocation Table - Wikipedia
    Logical block addressing - Wikipedia

EDIT: Just found a 2GB Thumb drive in my parts box and checked, Win10 File Explorer shows it will indeed format 2GB as FAT [FAT16]. Bottom line: looks like using a Linux machine would work if wanting FAT16 over 2GB. I just checked the drive on my Linux Mint 17 and it has GPARTED installed [by default] and it can format 2GB as FAT16 so the main thing is how large the capacity of the PCMCIA card is.

Berton, Oct 13, 2016
  9. AirMech Win User
    Hi

The card is on 64 MB.

As your link to "File Allocation Table - Wikipedia" are there different types of the: FAT16 the one we need is 0x06

AirMech, Oct 14, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2016
  11. AirMech Win User
    AirMech, Oct 14, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    Is that program Windows-based? Should be able to run its .exe/executable file from a Command Prompt by first changing into the program's Folder. But a Windows-based program relies on other support files and usually can't run from the command line of Operating Systems such as MS-DOS. There are Portable programs but they are coded to run without actually being installed such as from Thumb drives.

Berton, Oct 14, 2016
  13. Adalwar Win User

Well, at this point I am asking "why lose time with MS and its funny people"?
    I suggest you to UNINSTALL those Updates, that will probably put the Devices back to the Original Win Release.
    If you really need the "updates (downgrades)" , look at Windows Catalog and look for the last Update that still works and install it.
    After that, DISABLE Windows UPDATE!
    MS may be think we are Slaves , and they can do what they want.

Adalwar, Oct 14, 2016
  14. AirMech Win User
    Hi

I agree that this is a possible solution, but we will like to do the updates, and if we can find a program that can format the cards is it easier than to remote control all the tables and remove the update one at the time.
    The batch file can be updated one place and it will be copied to all automatically.

Best Regards
    Peter

AirMech, Oct 14, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    Why do you have to Format the Drive every time it is inserted ? once it is partition type 0x06 (using MTPW or win8.1) , is it not possible to just remove the contents of the CARD and write the new data to it with the batch file?

KB

Kbird, Oct 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA) - Similar Threads - Format FAT16 FAT16

2. Windows 10 on FAT16! Post-OOBE, UWP working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 on FAT16! Post-OOBE, UWP working: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SevoosMinecraft [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1bjgn7x/windows_10_on_fat16_postoobe_uwp_working/
  3. How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?: Hi,I tried to format a PCMCIA card to FAT16CHS in Win10 PC. The Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 LBA when formatting the using the normal Format.com in windows. I have now searched the net for another format program that can run under win 10, but have until now...
  4. How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?: Hi,I tried to format a PCMCIA card to FAT16CHS in Win10 PC. The Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 LBA when formatting the using the normal Format.com in windows. I have now searched the net for another format program that can run under win 10, but have until now...
  5. How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. MBR FAT16 READ WRITE

MBR FAT16 READ WRITE: Hi, I am running Win 10 VS 2013 dev environment. I have a USB 25MEG SSD that is bootable. I want to read the MBR from one USB 25MEG SSD then write the MBR to another. Any recommendations? I don't mind writing my own utility, but where to start. Boyd...
  7. How do you convert a micro SD card from FAT16 to FAT 32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you convert a micro SD card from FAT16 to FAT 32: Long story short, I was going to plug a 256gb micro sd card on my router to share with my household. I have a USB adapter so I can plug it there. But it won't appear in file explorer. When I plugged it back in my computer, it doesn't show. I checked in router settings, at it...
  8. Hey, does anyone know some easy way to format drive to fat16 (0x06) instead of fat16 (lba)...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hey, does anyone know some easy way to format drive to fat16 (0x06) instead of fat16 (lba)...: submitted by /u/Eldojosh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eo13da/hey_does_anyone_know_some_easy_way_to_format/
  9. How Can I Format an SD Card with FAT16 using Win10?

How Can I Format an SD Card with FAT16 using Win10?: I need to format a 2G SD card in FAT16. Can I do that? It is a card for an old Canon A520 which only takes 2G cards and the only cards I can find don't work with it: gives 'memory card error'. These are not HD cards so they should work. I suspect the problem is they are...
  10. put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?: I work with HAAS CNC lathes and mills, which only accept FAT16-formatted USB drives. I ahve an old 2gb drive that is starting to fail so I got a new drive. problem is the smallest size I could find is 8GB, which is too big for FAT16. I tried using Disk Management but the...