Windows 10: Win 10 freeze/hang then reboots after build 1809 (feature) update on legacy hardware...

Discus and support Win 10 freeze/hang then reboots after build 1809 (feature) update on legacy hardware... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As the title states, I am encountering some sort of glitch causing my system to hang/lag, then fully freeze 1-2 min later, then automatically reboot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by arkyson, Aug 9, 2018.

1. arkyson Win User

Win 10 freeze/hang then reboots after build 1809 (feature) update on legacy hardware...

As the title states, I am encountering some sort of glitch causing my system to hang/lag, then fully freeze 1-2 min later, then automatically reboot itself 2-3 mins after that. This problem seems to occur at random times when I am doing simple work with OneNote/office, browsing the web, etc (ie, not performance/resource heavy), but I've noticed it seems to happen a bit sooner/slightly more often while gaming (Quake Live via steam - which is not a resource heavy game either, and my video card is a GeForce GTX260 which is plenty for that game). Interestingly when this happens the system doesn't full freeze right away, the taskbar, task manager, and edge browser, usually start acting funny (like they are half way not responding), then after 1-2 min the computer is gets fully frozen, then in another 1-2min it automatically reboots.

Microsoft support has tried to troubleshoot by remote access, and cleared the temp files from windows a few times, but this has not fixed the problem.

I suspected there is some sort of diver issue with my legacy motherboard (XFX nForce 680i LT) because after the build 1809 update there were 2 new "unknown device" entries in my device manager. The Microsoft tech simply uninstalled them, and they never came back after scanning for hardware changes...so I don't know what that could be.

When this problem first emerged a week or two ago, I was unable to troubleshoot, so I did a clean install of Win 7, used it for a couple days, did not experience this issue, so I upgraded to Win 10 pro (not sure of the version, but prior to the 1809 update) and used this for about a week with out having this issue. With in an hour of finishing the1809 update this issue came back exactly the same as it was before I tried the fresh win 7 install.

I've also checked the Event Viewer program in windows which shows a long list of errors, and occasionally "critical" errors from the source "Kernel-Power" that state "system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset." and another "system had rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly". These are preceded by an error from source "HAL" stating "system watchdog timer was triggered". THERE ARE ALSO many several repeated error entries by source "DistributedCOM" stating "application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID Windows.SecurityCentre.WscCloudBackupProvider and APPID unavailable"...but there are other error too....I don't know what to make of it.

I have also monitored everything with HWiNFO64 - and everything seems completely normal. Odd thing is I cant see an entry for the +12v rail of my powersupply, and SpeedFan shows the 12v entry running at 9.8volt, but I think this is wrong because when I check in my BIOS, it says its functioning at 12.16v

This is my system specs (first page from msinfo32):

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name ARKYS-PC
    System Manufacturer XFX
    System Model XFX Nforce 680i LT
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2403 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 1/22/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer XFX
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17134.1"
    User Name arkys-PC\arkys
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 4.94 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 12.8 GB
    Page File Space 8.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions No
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

:)

arkyson, Aug 9, 2018
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. Win 10 and Legacy Hardware

How do I configure Win 10 pro to see a legacy NAS server?

I_Claudius, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Win 10 freeze/hang then reboots after build 1809 (feature) update on legacy hardware...

Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 freeze/hang then reboots after build 1809 (feature) update on legacy hardware...

1. Win 10 freeze/hang then reboots after build 1809 (feature) update on legacy hardware... - Similar Threads - freeze hang reboots

2. Win 10 Hanging / lagging / Freezing periodically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Hanging / lagging / Freezing periodically: Hi, I am currently experiencing a weird issue that I still have not been able to resolve. I got a custom PC about 3-4 months ago and the PC will routinely hang or freeze for 1-2 seconds. This does not stop video or audio but all games, file explorer etc will freeze for a...
  3. Windows 10 hangs on startup after update reboots!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 hangs on startup after update reboots!: Windows 10 Pro (current build fully updated) hangs on startup after update reboot, before displaying the Logon UI! I resolve this by interrupting startup twice to force Windows to perform automatic startup repair, the I select Advanced startup option > Troubleshoot > Startup...
  4. No sound after Win 10 1809 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound after Win 10 1809 update: Every time I boot up in my account, I have no sound. The usual method of repair, uninstalling the sound drivers and rebooting, works, but only once. I have to do this each time I turn on my computer. So far there is no permanent fix. IDT High Definition Audio CODEC is what I...
  5. Random reboots after 1809 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random reboots after 1809 update: Hello everyone! Last weekend (14th/16th) I received the 1809 update which many people seem to be having problems with. Obvioulsy I am now one of them ... After the update my computer performs random reboots as if I was hitting the reset button. It's happening in idle,...
  6. Windows Build 1809 is Freezing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Build 1809 is Freezing: Microsoft Support took control of my computer. They stopped some .msc services then "FORCED" a download of the update. Does this mean my computer is broken? Or does this just happen? Sometimes the windows updates need manually forced? Should I be concerned there is a...
  7. After windows 10 Feature update to 1809 new items added to the startmenu are going after reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    After windows 10 Feature update to 1809 new items added to the startmenu are going after reboot: It seems that since I installed the recent feature up date to version 1809 that anytime I pin a new item to the start menu, after I reboot it it is gone from the start menu. Does anyone know how to fix this problem ? Thanks tkinkley...
  8. Windows 10 1809 update hangs on reboot, then hangs on recovery

Windows 10 1809 update hangs on reboot, then hangs on recovery: When I try reboot my PC to install update 1809, it stays stuck forever on the blue shutdown screen, with the spinning blue dots and the counter at 0%. Here's the output from the last operations in Panther\setupact.log: 2018-10-06 01:29:33, Info SP...
  9. Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1809 hanging

Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1809 hanging: Update page says "Requires restart to finish installing" but a restart doesn't finish the upgrade. Is there a place where the upgrade can be manually downloaded?...
  10. Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279: After a clean install of Build 14279, then reinstalling several programs, I'm getting occasional and random freeze-ups. Blutos Cousin posted the following: I've been having random freezing in 14279 rs1 where the mouse pointer disappears and turns into something that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hangs on reboot

2. 1809 freeze after the first reboot

3. win 10 1809 hang on reboot

4. windows 1809 update freeze after install,
  5. windows 10 update 1809 hang,
  6. system freezes after 1809 build,
  7. win 10 build 1809 cant see nas in network