Windows 10: Win 10 freezes

Discus and support Win 10 freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My father in law has a Dell Inspiron 24-3455 all in one with the following key specs: CPU: AMD A6-7310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, 2000 Mhz, 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by up2trix, May 13, 2020.

1. up2trix Win User

Win 10 freezes

My father in law has a Dell Inspiron 24-3455 all in one with the following key specs:
    1. CPU: AMD A6-7310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, 2000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    2. DRAM: 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1 + 2GBx1)
    3. Hard Drive: now a SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"
    4. OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 10.0.17763.678

He has complained to me several times over the last year that his computer is prone to freezing. When it freezes, he can move his mouse and see the cursor move, but there is no response when he clicks on something. If he types something on the keyboard (e.g. ctrl-alt-delete), it does not respond to that either (e.g. by opening Task Manager).

This problem used to occur maybe once a month, but recently has been happening more frequently, sometimes a couple times a day.

There are only 2 ways that he knows to get it working again. The first is to hard kill it (e.g. unplug it). The second is to simply wait: surprisingly, he has seen many times that the computer suddenly unfreezes after ~10 minutes! He knows when it unfreezes because it will suddenly start to respond to the last couple of mouse clicks he did when it was frozen!

This behavior is very hard for me to remotely diagnose (I live 100s of miles away, and now with WuFlu, cannot visit at all).

So, I would greatly appreciate if you guys have any suggestions on what the issue could be.

I have one guess: his computer's 6 GB of DRAM is low. Could Windows have gotten low on DRAM, but then is taking forever to free up DRAM?

I am not sure if this is related, but the reason why he is running that now old build of Win 10 is that because both times that I tried to update his computer to the latest version, the update process has failed. It was several months ago when I last tried, but my recollection is that the update process simply stalled and did not complete after many hours. Infuriating...

:)

up2trix, May 13, 2020
  2. x509 Win User

Win 10 CU (not FCU) stutters and freezes a lot with various operations

I get momentary freezes and stuttering with a range of Windows menu operations. *sarc These are the ones that are top of mind but I'm sure there are others. Win 10 Pro 64, up to date on patches.

• Xing out a FireFox tab
    • Click on FILE menu (drop down is delayed)
    • FILE > Print (printer list or print menu is delayed)
    • Selecting a higher level on the file path in the SAVE menu
    • Search menu at bottom of Windows
    • Typing in many situations.

Any suggestions? Or this this a known problem in Win 10? I've had this problem for some time, but lately it has gotten me really PO'ed.*Confused

3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Windows 10 Computer Randomly Freezes

Hi,

Listed below are some possibilities why the computer keeps on freezing:

• Outdated drivers.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.

We suggest performing the steps on this article that can help resolve the issue.

Get back to us if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, May 13, 2020
  4. HopefulB2 Win User

Win 10 freezes

Freezes Win 10

I bought a Win 10 Home in Dec 2016. Had a bit of trouble replacing my XP version. Got help from Microsoft. Win 10 now on PC but every now and again just freezes. Have to reboot. Annoying! Have tried a number of the suggestions but nothing seems to work.
    What now.

HopefulB2, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 freezes

1. Win 10 freezes - Similar Threads - freezes

2. Lenovo Ideapad 5 15ARE05 constantly restarting, freezing and blue-screening randomly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo Ideapad 5 15ARE05 constantly restarting, freezing and blue-screening randomly.: This has been going on for a little while and I still don't understand what the solution is. No matter, what I do, even cleaning the dust out of PC, it will still randomly restart for no apparent reason. However, there are a few errors that I found in both "Application" and...
  3. Lenovo Ideapad 5 15ARE05 constantly restarting, freezing and blue-screening randomly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo Ideapad 5 15ARE05 constantly restarting, freezing and blue-screening randomly.: This has been going on for a little while and I still don't understand what the solution is. No matter, what I do, even cleaning the dust out of PC, it will still randomly restart for no apparent reason. However, there are a few errors that I found in both "Application" and...
  4. My laptop freezes when updating windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop freezes when updating windows 10: My laptop freezes when updating windows 10 and I force it to turn off by pressing the power button until it dies and when it starts up again it can't play valorant with error code VAL 5 and the laptop can't be shutdown, when I want to shutdown it will turn on again and so on....
  5. My laptop freezes when updating windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop freezes when updating windows 10: My laptop freezes when updating windows 10 and I force it to turn off by pressing the power button until it dies and when it starts up again it can't play valorant with error code VAL 5 and the laptop can't be shutdown, when I want to shutdown it will turn on again and so on....
  6. My laptop freezes when updating windows 10

7. .NET Framework 3.5 Issue: Searching For Required Files & Freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .NET Framework 3.5 Issue: Searching For Required Files & Freezing: Hi, I bought myself a Lenovo Legion a couple months ago and one of the few games I've wanted to play, like Fallout 3, requires the .NET Framework 3.5 Download. Every time I try to download it it would be stuck on "searching for required files" for over an hour or barely make...
  8. .NET Framework 3.5 Issue: Searching For Required Files & Freezing

.NET Framework 3.5 Issue: Searching For Required Files & Freezing: Hi, I bought myself a Lenovo Legion a couple months ago and one of the few games I've wanted to play, like Fallout 3, requires the .NET Framework 3.5 Download. Every time I try to download it it would be stuck on "searching for required files" for over an hour or barely make...
  9. Change Default App freezes in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default App freezes in Windows 11: I have a brand new HP laptop. Every single time I attempt to change the default app to open a file, either through the system settings or right-click > Open with, my system freezes, usually requiring a reboot or at least a 5-10 minute wait.I don't have any extra anti-virus...
  10. Change Default App freezes in Windows 11

Change Default App freezes in Windows 11: I have a brand new HP laptop. Every single time I attempt to change the default app to open a file, either through the system settings or right-click > Open with, my system freezes, usually requiring a reboot or at least a 5-10 minute wait.I don't have any extra anti-virus...