Windows 10: Win 10 from Media Creation Tool is old version?

Discus and support Win 10 from Media Creation Tool is old version? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created a USB drive of Win 10 from the Media Creation tool, yesterday. All the files had a 2015 date on them and I "assumed" it was an old version. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fireberd, Aug 7, 2016.

1. fireberd Win User

Win 10 from Media Creation Tool is old version?

I created a USB drive of Win 10 from the Media Creation tool, yesterday. All the files had a 2015 date on them and I "assumed" it was an old version. I then downloaded the ISO version and and created the USB drive with Rufus and it is the 1607 version.

:)

fireberd, Aug 7, 2016
  2. netguy777 Win User

why is my windows 10 download taking four days and still counting?

I was finally able to just bypass all the old Updates and installed using the Win 10 Media Creation tool here

Windows 10 herunterladen

netguy777, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Win 10 MediaTool will not open

I can't begin to tell you how sick and tired I am of being directed back to the same old Win 10 instruction on the MS internet site.

The media creation tool does not open for my Win 7 home premium.

The Patil reply above is clearly confused. Yes, I have the IOS. It offers me ONLY a clean install. I want to upgrade my Win 7 home premium.

So, either tell me how to open it, or do not mention it again in reply to me, please.

January123, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

I downloaded Win 10 media creation tool to do a in-place repair/upgrade due to the original AUpdate making the laptop slow, it didn't fail saying it was an old version & the USB install drive created with same tool gave me the latest version of Win 10.

Bastet, Aug 7, 2016
  5. aardvark Win User
    Yep, it hasn't changed (much) but if you hover over the exe, it will show you the ISO file it is linked to:

Win 10 from Media Creation Tool is old version? [​IMG]

aardvark, Aug 7, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    As I noted all my files were 2015 dates, not 2016 using the Media Creation Tool.
    But, I got the 2016 dates with just downloading the ISO file and creating the USB flash drive with Rufus.

fireberd, Aug 7, 2016
  7. aardvark Win User
    Then you had a previous version of the media creation tool. The file size did change somewhat. If you used the old version, then you got the old ISO.

aardvark, Aug 7, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

Jack, I have the AU ISO downloaded from MSDN and all the files are dated 7/16/2016. I know that probably doesn't help you any though.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2016
  9. Did you download a fresh Media Creation Tool?

If you still have the MCT media, you can tell what version is in it:
    -> Replace W with the drive letter of the install media on your machine

DISM.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:W:\sources\install.esd /Index:1
    -- for a mounted Techbench ISO --

DISM.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:W:\sources\install.wim /Index:1

Sheesh, did it really take me an hour to type this?
    aardvark and essenbe both commented before I pressed the post button.

Slartybart, Aug 7, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The files that the particular Media Creation Tool you have downloads do not change over time. Download a Media Creation Tool in August, 2015 and it will download the exact same files in July 2016 - which are probably outdated. You have to do back to the Media Creation Tool website and download a new Media Creation Tool exe file to get the new files.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2016
  11. fireberd Win User
    That's what I was guessing, my Media Creation tool is outdated. I've used that many times on client's PC's without problems but didn't consider it needed updating.

I'll get a new version.

Thanks/Jack

fireberd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 from Media Creation Tool is old version? - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. Media creation tool for Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool for Win 10: I am trying to create a bootable Win 10 creation tool. I am using the media creation tool. I can create a bootable Win 11 tool that will boot. The Win 10 tool will not boot. Each is using the same USB flash drive. Ideas please....
  3. Media creation tool for Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media creation tool for Win 10: I am trying to create a bootable Win 10 creation tool. I am using the media creation tool. I can create a bootable Win 11 tool that will boot. The Win 10 tool will not boot. Each is using the same USB flash drive. Ideas please....
  4. Media creation tool for Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Media Creation Tool Windows 10 Version.

Media Creation Tool Windows 10 Version.: Which version or build of Windows 10 does the media creation tool is downloading? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool-windows-10-version/cbb56576-2792-474d-bea9-21e1efbc0c8f
  6. UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 >> WIN 10 USING "MEDIA CREATION TOOL"

UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 >> WIN 10 USING "MEDIA CREATION TOOL": We plan to upgrade a Win 7 desktop to Win 10 via "Media Creation Tool". We did this once before on another PC and it worked. But we would like to choose what is to be saved. Is there a prompt/option within the process where we could simply save our "User" folder with our...
  7. Win 7 Media Creation Tool

Win 7 Media Creation Tool: Is there a Media Creation Tool for Win 7? I am thinking of putting Win 7 on a separate disk to dual boot to play some games that won't play on Win 10. Still have Win 7 disks but they take forever to clean install. 102484
  8. Media creation tool - no option for Win 10

Media creation tool - no option for Win 10: I downloaded it from here: Windows 10 When I run it, I get Win8 options only, no Windows 10... Have tried on two laptops... Any ideas? Anything else I need to make it work pls? 9458
  9. What version of Win 10 is the Media Creation Tool giving?

What version of Win 10 is the Media Creation Tool giving?: Just for fun, I downloaded a copy of the Win 10 .ISO using the MCT. Some of the files (like install.esd) have today's date, 9 July 2016. I am ignorant of how to find the build number in the .ISO. Is there any chance that this is 14385, as released today? (ws.dat...
  10. Win 10 pro gone from media creation tool?

Win 10 pro gone from media creation tool?: Hello, I want to make a Win 10 pro install disc from the media creation tool. It was given as an option before the new update came out, but I don't see it anymore. Anyone else seeing this? 29733