Windows 10: Win 10 - Great on Desktop - No good for Touch Laptop yet

Discus and support Win 10 - Great on Desktop - No good for Touch Laptop yet in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I like W10 so far - but on an HP envy Touch laptop it's no good for TOUCH - desktop mode fine but I DO actually like touch for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Win 10 - Great on Desktop - No good for Touch Laptop yet

Hi there

I like W10 so far - but on an HP envy Touch laptop it's no good for TOUCH - desktop mode fine but I DO actually like touch for some applications.

The only thing I can get working reasonably OK in Touch mode is the on screen keyboard. Apps don't start by touching the desktop icons - for example in W8.1 I can start EXCEL on the Touch notebook by simply pressing the ICON I've got on the desktop. This works whether in a VM or not and I can re-size windows etc via Touch.

W10 on the same laptop - touch only works on the onscreen keyboard. You can move the icons around and one might "randomly" start a program but Touch is definitely not at all properly implemented so far.

Now as I don't use Touch very often I'll probably leave W10 on the HP laptop - but I won't install on the Surface Pro 3 - I do use that in tablet mode.

BTW Touch is implemented "okayish" fine on Linux !!! and desktop (non touch) ones run fine too - so I hope Ms sorts this out !!!.

So if you use a lot of Touch - I'd recommend holding off for a while --for Desktop users - seems "What the doctor ordered" -- certainly for a first pass

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014
  2. Whisper. Win User

Win 10 Mail Folders

Dear John,

That is possible. I've downloaded Win 10 for my Win 7 desktop but haven't got up the nerve to install it yet. I want to play with it on the laptop for a while. I hope someone who's gone from 7 to 10 will have a definite answer for you. Good luck.

Regards,

Whisper

Whisper., Oct 3, 2014
  3. Appears new Windows 10 update has erased my computer data...?

Good morning, I just did the free Win 10 upgrade, and my desktop screen is now completely black, the only icon is the Recycle Bin, the Start button does not work, and it won't connect to the internet. The message is "The server process could not be started
    because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password. That would be great if I could get anything to work. This is a brand-new laptop, I haven't created my restore drive yet. Help..? :-(

MelanieCoffman66, Oct 3, 2014
  4. Trust_No1 Win User

Well,
    [edited]
    At first I gave this harsh comments, however after working with it for a while, it work, but the Start menu is still just a mess IMHO

I wish they would allow you to create folder in the menu (like in XP) and then drag apps into it
    I really don't like having all of my Legacy and Metro all intermixed together, I would appreciate being able to handle that more

I would also like to see a transparent taskbar and menu, and a better way to change menu option Icon spacing, text colors etc.

I wish they would have left the charms bar also, and don't know how to get out of desktop mode except to physically change it, log out and back in. That is way, way to much of a hassle.

I truly have mixed emotions thus far, it will be interesting to see where this ends up.

Trust_No1, Oct 3, 2014
Thema:

1. Win 10 - Great on Desktop - No good for Touch Laptop yet - Similar Threads - Great Desktop Touch

2. Signing In. Desktop comp good. Laptop- denied access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Signing In. Desktop comp good. Laptop- denied access: Have 2 desktop and 1 laptop. Desk I can sign into my Microsoft account. Laptop, denied everything! Changed password several times. Tried Authenticator app. Tried email and text verification. Access denied. Help please....
  3. Discussion: Is August 15-31 a good time of year to get a great deal on a new laptop with at...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Discussion: Is August 15-31 a good time of year to get a great deal on a new laptop with at...: I'll see about getting a laptop like this not over $329.99 this time next year. HP 15-dw3363st 15.6" Laptop, Intel Core i3, 8GB Memory, 256GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 4Z3A9UA#ABA Staples It is within well within 30 days of the last day of IFA Berlin 2022, after all. Maybe there...
  4. A good way to make your Windows desktop look and feel great!

in Windows 10 Customization
    A good way to make your Windows desktop look and feel great!: Hi all, this is not a question, I just felt like sharing a video which teaches us to make Windows look somewhat like Mac. Here's my desktop after doing the customisations: [IMG]It looks nice, doesn't it? Well, here's the video on youtube which tells you about this...
  5. Win 10 Security is GREAT!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 Security is GREAT!: I switched to Win 10 Security full time, about a year ago, and discontinued paying 3rd party Anti-Virus software. Of course, there is the FREE type too. I also check most every day for any Win 10 updates with having Win Pro. There are update downloads, strictly for...
  6. Windows 10 c 20H1 b 18985 is not yet so good

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 c 20H1 b 18985 is not yet so good: Windows 10 c 20H1 b 18985 is not yet so good. Many problems. Some installed applications and internal windows do not keep the default settings [eg size, screen position, etc.]. The black screen appears several times a day, sometimes two or three within an hour. It is still...
  7. win 10 without a touch screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 without a touch screen: I am trying to install Display Adapter 6E on a laptop that is not touch screen. What do I do when it says to swipe left to get to the connect display screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-without-a-touch-screen/84fa66e9-8d83-4607-a2a1-01458214a35b
  8. No Good RSS Readers in Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Good RSS Readers in Win 10: I used to use Live Mail which had a decent feed reader but there's none built into the new Mail app. I've tried a lot of reader apps from the store and they're all terrible! Either the feed doesn't work or there's ads or it just doesn't work. Anyone got a suggestion...
  9. Yet Another Font Issue in Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Yet Another Font Issue in Win 10: In the attached display snippet below you can see my problem. This is a snippet of the Display Settings screen; the different choices along the left side. Clear example of the problem is the difference in the two f characters in the word Offline Maps. The first f has a thick...
  10. Windows 10 - Cannot greate desktop shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Cannot greate desktop shortcuts?: On my Lenovo Miix 2 I cannot create desktop shortcuts. Does anyone know how to fix this? 24312