Windows 10: Win 10 hard drive full, can't boot, can't delete files in recovery mode or remove write...

Discus and support Win 10 hard drive full, can't boot, can't delete files in recovery mode or remove write... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am stuck on how to get my PC to boot.I thought the installation might be corrupted but I read that if your hard drive is full then it can cause... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WasaqatAcc, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Win 10 hard drive full, can't boot, can't delete files in recovery mode or remove write...

I am stuck on how to get my PC to boot.I thought the installation might be corrupted but I read that if your hard drive is full then it can cause Windows 10 to not boot. Low and behold I have 2048kb left of space on my SSD.I made a recovery USB and was able to get into an administrator CMD prompt but cannot delete files as it is write protected.I cannot remove the read-only attribute from the hard drive either. I read that if a HD is full that the HD can become write protected itself. How to I delete files so I can see if that fixes my Windows booting? I'm totally stuck.The HD is also an M.2 s

:)

WasaqatAcc, Aug 12, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Aug 12, 2021
  3. Melvis Win User
    Best hard drive recovery data program?

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know from you all what would be the best recovery program to use to get files off a dying hard drive? The files arnt lost, or deleted etc, its just that the HDD is in poor shape and windows cant access the drive fully, it can see the drive but no access it, so i was wondering what's a good program that can just list all the files on the drive so i can back them up?

Im current using "Recover my files" but it only seems to get file's that have been deleted, not helpful, im also going to try Norton Ghost, that might work?

Thanks in advance *Toast :toast:

Melvis, Aug 12, 2021
  4. vnktrmn Win User

Win 10 hard drive full, can't boot, can't delete files in recovery mode or remove write...

Wiped hard drive partitions keep coming back on Win10 Recovery disc

Thanks all for taking the time to review my case.

I guess my description was misleading.

I meant I am unable to wipe hard drive`s partitions. Not the virtual drive ones.

Step 1 - Boot error on normal startup saying a recent hardware or software change could be the cause

Step 2 - Repair disc. Attempts to do startup repair but fails saying it could not do so.

Step 3 - New OS installation. On partition delete, I attempted to delete existing partitions. Fails with message we couuldn`t format the drive.

Step 4 - Launched command prompt repair and attempted clean. Though t says clean is successful, contents are still undeleted.

Step 5 - Used partition manager within recovery cd, to format the hard drive of my tab. (32gb). Format says successful but the contents on hard drive came back.

Step 6 - tried to convert partitions to MBR. No luck. Same issue.

I am able to read my hard drive contents through to command prompt. So I am presuming no hard drive crash.

Also virtual ccd works fine. So no processor issue I guess.

I am damned for now unable to figure ouit what is the issue.

vnktrmn, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

Win 10 hard drive full, can't boot, can't delete files in recovery mode or remove write...

1. Win 10 hard drive full, can't boot, can't delete files in recovery mode or remove write... - Similar Threads - hard drive full

2. Can't delete a pdf file from external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete a pdf file from external hard drive.: In Windows 10, how do I delete a pdf file from my external hard drive. I cannot move, delete or rename the file by conventional methods in Windows, nor in safe mode, nor by command prompts like del. I believe the file may have been synced to OneDrive because the same file was...
  3. Can't delete a pdf file from external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a pdf file from external hard drive.: In Windows 10, how do I delete a pdf file from my external hard drive. I cannot move, delete or rename the file by conventional methods in Windows, nor in safe mode, nor by command prompts like del. I believe the file may have been synced to OneDrive because the same file was...
  4. Can't delete a pdf file from external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't delete system files from extra hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete system files from extra hard drive: I installed an extra hard drive in my laptop from an older laptop I used in 2020, I gave it to my little brother and installed Windows 8.1 on it in 2021, now I installed that hard drive on my laptop and I can't delete the system files. I've deleted most files, but I need to...
  6. Can't delete system files from extra hard drive

Can't delete system files from extra hard drive: I installed an extra hard drive in my laptop from an older laptop I used in 2020, I gave it to my little brother and installed Windows 8.1 on it in 2021, now I installed that hard drive on my laptop and I can't delete the system files. I've deleted most files, but I need to...
  7. Can't Access files on hard drive windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access files on hard drive windows 10: I have the following problem.When I reinstall Windows on a computer following a non-booting issue, I normally plug the hard drive into my other computer to backup any required data before wiping it. I then reinstall Windows on the hard drive, and then plug the hard drive back...
  8. Can't Access files on hard drive windows 10

Can't Access files on hard drive windows 10: I have the following problem.When I reinstall Windows on a computer following a non-booting issue, I normally plug the hard drive into my other computer to backup any required data before wiping it. I then reinstall Windows on the hard drive, and then plug the hard drive back...
  9. Can't delete a EFI file on my hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete a EFI file on my hard drive: I had installed Ubuntu on a separate hard drive and it didn't install as expected. This hard drive is separate from my SSD on which Windows is booted. During the Ubuntu installation, an EFI partition was created and I tried deleting it using cmd diskpart-delete command. But,...
  10. Can't Delete Write Protect from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Delete Write Protect from USB Drive: Hi. I have a HP flash drive, which had a recovery drive on it sent to me by HP. Since it didn't work properly when I tried to reinstall my Windows 10 OS recently, I want to format it and install a new recovery drive on it. Unfortunately, it is write protected. I have used the...