Windows 10: Win 10 Home default app choices missing

Discus and support Win 10 Home default app choices missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Been searching for a simple answer for this but haven't found one. I'm trying to change the default program for opening certain file types. When using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rich19061, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Rich19061 Win User

Win 10 Home default app choices missing

Been searching for a simple answer for this but haven't found one. I'm trying to change the default program for opening certain file types. When using the 'default apps' in settings, the programs I would like to use (installed on my computer) are not an option, and selecting 'look in the app store' is, of course, useless. This used to be a simple task in previous versions. Strange thing is that one particular program (Photoshop) shows up on some obscure file types, but is not an option on basic picture file types. Is there not an easy solution for this?

:)

Rich19061, Oct 18, 2018
  2. Victek Win User

Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder though if the issue actually has anything to do with the Adobe Reader? When I first observed the problem Edge was showing as the default PDF reader in Outlook's drop down list. It was possible to select Adobe Reader from the list, but even though we put a check in the box for Outlook to remember the choice it didn't. After setting the Adobe Reader as the default in Control Panel/Default Programs/ the icon on PDF files changed to the Adobe Reader icon and it replaced Edge as the first app in Outlook's drop down list, however Outlook continues to ask and doesn't save the choice.

One thing I wanted to try was repairing Microsoft Office, but strangely there is no entry in Programs and Features. I wonder if there's a way to run the repair from the command line?

Victek, Oct 18, 2018
  3. trog100 Win User
    latest win 10 upgrade.. a default app has been reset..

has anybody else been getting this message..

every so often it pops ups since the last win 10 update.. i have read about it.. but oddly for me i get the message but all my defaults apps remain the same.. he he

trog

trog100, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Win 10 Home default app choices missing

Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the default apps on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you using Microsoft account?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access defaults apps on Windows 10.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files. Let us try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if you are able to access the apps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 Home default app choices missing

1. Win 10 Home default app choices missing - Similar Threads - Home default app

2. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?: I would like to set the default for a file type to prompt me to choose which app I want to use. I have two apps that use the same file type and want the ability to choose between them on the fly. How do I do this? I also have a problem that the file type .ris does not show up...
  3. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?: I would like to set the default for a file type to prompt me to choose which app I want to use. I have two apps that use the same file type and want the ability to choose between them on the fly. How do I do this? I also have a problem that the file type .ris does not show up...
  4. How to set a default app to prompt for a choice?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Home edition "Switch Users" choice is missing

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Home edition "Switch Users" choice is missing: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home. There are two user accounts on the PC, both Administrator accounts. When the computer is started, only a single account shows up for login. When I've logged into that account and go to the start menu, there is no Switch User setting....
  6. Wifi choice missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi choice missing: In my settings, Wifi is missing from the Network & Internet menu. I cannot install a wireless printer. This is strange since I already have a different wireless printer and it works perfectly. When I click "show available networks", the wireless adapter does not show....
  7. Missing icon choices.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing icon choices.: I want to change the icon on my shortcut folders on my desktop. When I click change Icon, there used to be all sorts of options, now there is none and the "look for icons in this file:" is blank. I have no idea how to fix this....and browse button only made me more...
  8. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Changing Default program in Win 10 home: When going into setting/apps & features/set default by app; I don't see the installed app that I prefer to use; specifically I want to use AVS4YOU media player to auto-play mp4 files and the like. I cant locate it under programs/default to choose it. I am likely missing...
  9. Win 10, Threshold 2 won't keep default applications choices

Win 10, Threshold 2 won't keep default applications choices: I know that this came up before, at least with Acrobat (I run Acrobat 11 Pro). However, Win 10 also reverts other chosen default app choices to the MS app that handles the file type. JPG graphics are an example. My custom settings stick, even with Acrobat, until I reboot or...
  10. Win 10 Home default storage locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home default storage locations: I started using a new PC with Win10 Home installed. After a couple of days, I received a message saying my OneDrive space was almost full. When I looked into this I found the default location for my photos is a OneDrive folder. This was set automatically. When I try to change...