Windows 10: Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement

Discus and support Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi All,The motherboard of my PC unexpectedly died on me, so I had to buy a new one. The PC wa couple of years old, so new board is differnt kind than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by IgalYaroslavski, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement

Hi All,The motherboard of my PC unexpectedly died on me, so I had to buy a new one. The PC wa couple of years old, so new board is differnt kind than the old one both run Intel i5 thoughThe new MB fails to detect boot that is located on my SSD drive windows 10, home edition.Googling the problem got me confused1. Some people claim the problem may be with the boot type on a new board is different from the boot on the SSD that was previously connected to the old board, so there's no way I can use old SSD with a new MB and I need to do a clean Win install from scratch on the same SSD loosinf

:)

IgalYaroslavski, Apr 5, 2022
  2. ceck3 Win User

Activating Win 10 after replacing Motherboard

I recently had to replace a motherboard on a Lenovo ThinkCentre due to a blown power supply. After recovering, Windows was not activated and I can't use the troubleshooter to remediate. This system was shipped with Win 7 Pro and upgraded to Win 10 during
    the free promotion offer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get Win 10 reactivated in this scenario?

Also any thoughts on why Win 10 doesn't recognize the DVD or USB ports in File Explorer?

ceck3, Apr 5, 2022
  3. Megahertz Win User
    Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice

As I understood, a Dell technician will go to your house and replace the MB and the SSD.

You must have to do some homework before he arrives.
    - Make a Disk image of both drives (SSD and HDD) and save it to an external drive.
    - As they will take the old SSD and MB, I suggest you wipe the SSD (it has many user data on it) before he arrive as it can take some hours to clean all clusters.

To wipe the SSD:
    - Disconnect the HDD from the MB.
    - Boot from a Windows installation media (USB, DVD, etc.) When the Windows setup wizard shows up, simultaneously press the Shift + F10 keys on your keyboard. It will open a CMD window. Type:

diskpart
    list disk (it will list all drives. Identify the SSD drive number)
    select disk n (replace n by the SSD drive number obtained with list disk)
    clean all
    exit (to exit diskpart)

Megahertz, Apr 5, 2022
  4. Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement

Win 10 After Dell replaces a defective Motherboard

Dell replaced my Latitude that was operating with free Win 10 upgrade after a number of failed repair attempts and suggested that I switch the old SSD harddrive to the new computer to retain my programs and files which I did. Now I see a message to activate
    windows but this tells me to go to the Win store and buy it. When I attempt to activate, I receive an error code 0x803F7001 that I cant activate Win 10 because the previous Windows wasn't activated prior to upgrading to Win 10 (Possibly because I somehow
    was able to download Win 10 to this computer this morning without knowing what I was doing or that I might be doing something wrong . In my MS account both my old and new computers appear as having Win 10 Pro. I see a bunch of things on the internet which
    suggest that I need to contact MS since I changed the Motherboard but that it is possible to have the Win 10 transferred if this change was from an original manufacturer while the product was under warranty (frankly I don't understand why Dell wont help me
    with this problem) Is there a number at MS or some other way that I can contact about how to switch and activate and if not what will happen to my computer (which is working fine now) if I donot pay the activation fee. Thankyou for your help.

CLIFFORDScharman, Apr 5, 2022
Thema:

Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement

1. Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement - Similar Threads - Home SSD fails

2. SSD does not boot with Windows 10 after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD does not boot with Windows 10 after motherboard replacement: Hello everyone. Recently I had to replace the motherboard of my computer and since then, my SSD has stopped working as I wanted. Although it is recognized in the BIOS, I cannot boot Windows from it. There is always some error when starting Windows and I need to start the...
  3. SSD does not boot with Windows 10 after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD does not boot with Windows 10 after motherboard replacement: Hello everyone. Recently I had to replace the motherboard of my computer and since then, my SSD has stopped working as I wanted. Although it is recognized in the BIOS, I cannot boot Windows from it. There is always some error when starting Windows and I need to start the...
  4. SSD does not boot with Windows 10 after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement: Hi All,The motherboard of my PC unexpectedly died on me, so I had to buy a new one. The PC wa couple of years old, so new board is differnt kind than the old one both run Intel i5 thoughThe new MB fails to detect boot that is located on my SSD drive windows 10, home...
  6. Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Home on SSD fails to boot after motherboard replacement: Hi All,The motherboard of my PC unexpectedly died on me, so I had to buy a new one. The PC wa couple of years old, so new board is differnt kind than the old one both run Intel i5 thoughThe new MB fails to detect boot that is located on my SSD drive windows 10, home...
  7. Replacing fail motherboard under win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing fail motherboard under win 10: Motherboard failed and was replaced with identical new one using the old CPU. Will windows 10 still be activated? Or will I have troubles https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replacing-fail-motherboard-under-win-10/dab855d1-8a08-4451-aa3b-81d3964157ba
  8. Replacing motherboard with same motherboard as sound failed.

Replacing motherboard with same motherboard as sound failed.: Hello, I'm just wondering if I will have to get a new Windows Product Key after replacing my current motherboard with the same Model. Rather not pay for Windows again as the only reason I need to replace the motherboard is because I've lost sound. I have the exact model of...
  9. Win 10 activation after motherboard replaced

Win 10 activation after motherboard replaced: I updated to Win 10 after 7/8 and things were great - then last week I had to replace my MoBo and now I cannot get the Win 10 to re-activate. My MS digital account does not show my Win 10 licence it does show my Office 365 subscription and an old Excel 2013 one and I think...
  10. Activating Win 10 after motherboard replacement

Activating Win 10 after motherboard replacement: I had a Windows 10 computer with a digital license that was linked to my Microsoft account. It was upgraded from a Windows 7 license. The motherboard of that PC had a defect so I had to throw it away. After that I removed that computer from the device list of my Microsoft...