Windows 10: Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations

Discus and support Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; There are several filetypes which I do NOT want associated with ANY specific application. How do I do this? I have read several items which proport to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by King Lears, May 24, 2020.

1. Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations

There are several filetypes which I do NOT want associated with ANY specific application. How do I do this? I have read several items which proport to explain how to do this but none of them are accurate so a detailed step-by-step example would be useful. E.G., remove Photoshop from association with .jpg, .jpeg, and .tif filetypes and not replace it with anything.

:)

King Lears, May 24, 2020
  2. mario_tvn Win User

N95 Filetype association?

Hello everyone,

I'm having N95 V11.2.009 and got one question for you. How can i associate file types in N95?

For example, i have few .avi and .flv files on my N95 memory card and i would like associate .avi with Smartmovie player and .flv with emTube so that if i select any of these filetypes in File Manager then they directly open with their associated programs and
    not throw the error "Unable to open. File type not supported".

Thanks & Regards,

Vasu

mario_tvn, May 24, 2020
  3. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 24, 2020
  4. michaelFT Win User

Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations

Opening files from File Explorer and File Association not working

Hi, I'm having some problems with opening some filetypes in File Explorer. There are a few different cases which has made it hard to narrow down exactly where my problem is, and my Google-fu is failing me.

If a filetype is not associated with any program, double clicking or "right click > open " either doesn't do anything, or comes up with a message telling me to associate a program with the file. If I go into "control panel > default programs > associate
    a file type... " and then find the filetype and click on "change program", no window pops up to let me select a program.

In addition to the unassociated files not working, with files with a known association, double clicking only works if their is only one program associated with the filetype. If there are multiple programs, it will not choose the default program but will
    do nothing, I must choose a program from the open with context menu manually to open them. Additionally, the "open with > choose another app" button does nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions to fix the whole thing or any individual part, thanks in advance.

Cheers, Michael.

michaelFT, May 24, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations

1. Win 10 Home Remove filetype program associations - Similar Threads - Home Remove filetype

2. How to remove old programs from file associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove old programs from file associations: Hi folks, I wonder if someone would know how to remove these old programs from the list below..I removed Winamp and Media Monkey a while back but they've never fully disappeared from my system.If anyone can help that'd be great, my OCD is going into overdrive haha...
  3. How to remove old programs from file associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove old programs from file associations: Hi folks, I wonder if someone would know how to remove these old programs from the list below..I removed Winamp and Media Monkey a while back but they've never fully disappeared from my system.If anyone can help that'd be great, my OCD is going into overdrive haha...
  4. Home Insider Program Removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Home Insider Program Removal: How to remove Windows Insider Preview Program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-insider-program-removal/487ac409-5d79-4c7c-a875-8169d6160d6a
  5. broken .exe filetype association

in Windows 10 Customization
    broken .exe filetype association: I can't open any .exe programs. I've looked around in the forums and the solution seems to be to fix the registry keys, however I can't open regedit. I also can't open command prompt or task manager. Another solution was to tweak the registry without opening regedit either...
  6. Associate a Program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Associate a Program: I have Ashampoo Burning Studio. When I had this program in my Win 7 O/S, I would insert the blank disk and I would get a menu asking which program I would like to use. when I installed Windows 10, I no longer get the menu. Instead I get a Message stating - "This file...
  7. Failed to set default program for a .sai filetype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Failed to set default program for a .sai filetype: Hello, I don't know why but every time I set the default program (sai.exe) to open a .sai file, it doesn't applied. The file type is still unknown to windows and need to use "Open with" every time I want to open it. I checked the "default program by file type" in the...
  8. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Changing Default program in Win 10 home: When going into setting/apps & features/set default by app; I don't see the installed app that I prefer to use; specifically I want to use AVS4YOU media player to auto-play mp4 files and the like. I cant locate it under programs/default to choose it. I am likely missing...
  9. Unable to remove Program Associations

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to remove Program Associations: After not being able to open links from Steam or Skype using Chrome, I tried to remove the program associations for Chrome. However, it appears that I cannot unselect boxes currently selected. [img] This bug also persists to other programs. For example, if I try to...
  10. Win 10 "This file does not have a program associated with it for perfo

Win 10 "This file does not have a program associated with it for perfo: this is NOT the first time win 10 has given this issue for me when it updates: " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. ....." it is NOT my fault that i can no longer open folders via right click or double click! (as that's what...