Windows 10: Win 10 Home, Version 1803 - Unidentified Network - Wired only using switch and static IP's

Discus and support Win 10 Home, Version 1803 - Unidentified Network - Wired only using switch and static IP's in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings all, I have read so many posts my eyes are bleeding...lol. Anyway, I am currently working on a separate wired network only using switch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Yukula, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Yukula Win User

Win 10 Home, Version 1803 - Unidentified Network - Wired only using switch and static IP's

Greetings all,

I have read so many posts my eyes are bleeding...lol. Anyway, I am currently working on a separate wired network only using switch with static IP addresses assigned to the switch and all other connected computers. I am not using this network to connect to the internet, its only providing a LAN for share drive/media access.

Once connected to this network, windows treats this connection as an unidentified network and automatically treats the connection as public. Since its listed as unidentified, I am unable to switch it to Private in all areas including Registry. The only solution I found was to use a router instead, configured only for LAN and enabling DHCP. This is quite frustrating.

I am hoping there is a proper way or solution for this issue. I am aware of one work around where you assign an alternate IP to one adapter and then use that IP as a DHCP server address...but that seems like a poor workaround and I have not yet tested this.

That said, I am hoping someone may enlighten me on the proper way to setup and manage a LAN using only a switch. The switch is managed and I can setup static IP's.

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Gonna go back to digging a deeper snow cave for now...lol

:)

Yukula, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Ross068 Win User

Static IP Not Working with Windows 10 Home

I have a home network (192.168.0.x) with several computers running various versions of Windows. I've always used static IP addresses for all my computers with no problems. My Windows 7 Home and Ultimate work perfectly with static IP addresses. Also, after
    a couple of difficulties Windows 10 Pro also works with a static IP. However, neither of my Windows 10 Home computers will network with a static IP address. A friend of mine with even more computers has the same problem. Most of my computers including one
    of the Windows 10 Home computers are hard wired. The second Windows 10 Home computer is a HP Laptop which connects via WiFi. I've checked the Web and none of the suggestions work such as reinstalling network drivers, etc work. I am a former Computer Systems
    Officer for a small network and am fully familiar with computers running Windows and networking and know how to set up networking and dynamic versus static IP addresses. The problem appears to be a bug in Windows 10 Home. Any suggestions?

Ross068, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Static IP on Lumia 950.

Hi,

Follow the steps below and check if the features to apply static IP is available in your device.

• Navigate to settings.
    • Search or navigate to “Wi-Fi”.
    • Scroll all the way down and tap “static ip”.
    • Turn on “Configure network settings manually”.
    • Key in the IP address, subnet mask and other details

Note: Do remember that your router / DHCP should support allocating static IP for this feature to work.

If the above feature is not available then your model may not support the same.

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 13, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Win 10 Home, Version 1803 - Unidentified Network - Wired only using switch and static IP's

DaveM121, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 Home, Version 1803 - Unidentified Network - Wired only using switch and static IP's - Similar Threads - Home Version 1803

2. "Unidentified network" "Invalid IP configuration"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Unidentified network" "Invalid IP configuration": ————————————————————————–NOTE: I am using LAN, i can't connect wirelessly.————————————————————————–Im boooting up, trying to browse YouTube for some videos, but there i don't have Internet connection. When i check the "Networks" tab i forgot what's it called on the bottom bar...
  3. "Unidentified network" "Invalid IP configuration"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Unidentified network" "Invalid IP configuration": ————————————————————————–NOTE: I am using LAN, i can't connect wirelessly.————————————————————————–Im boooting up, trying to browse YouTube for some videos, but there i don't have Internet connection. When i check the "Networks" tab i forgot what's it called on the bottom bar...
  4. "Unidentified network" "Invalid IP configuration"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Static ip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Static ip: i've had a static ip for 10+ years and now when i set it it says i have an unidentifiable network and it wont connect at all, ive had windows diagnose the problem and fixes it by saying the DHCP is disabled, any help would be appreciated. im useing nord vpn if that helps at...
  6. Static ip

Static ip: i've had a static ip for 10+ years and now when i set it it says i have an unidentifiable network and it wont connect at all, ive had windows diagnose the problem and fixes it by saying the DHCP is disabled, any help would be appreciated. im useing nord vpn if that helps at...
  7. Windows 10 Home - Static / Fixed IP problem

Windows 10 Home - Static / Fixed IP problem: I am sure this issue has been reported already but I am not sure if a permanent fix was found, but hopefully someone can assist me here. I have my PC running Windows 10 - Home edition, it has a fixed static IP of 192.168.0.3 and a gateway of 192.168.0.1 (subnet mask of...
  8. Unidentified Network, ip configuration is invalid, 169 IP address

Unidentified Network, ip configuration is invalid, 169 IP address: I cant connect to the internet i tried everything online nothing works help!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/unidentified-network-ip-configuration-is-invalid/55cb42e1-df20-449c-8f48-7d18bd9dbb8e
  9. Network issue on Win 10 Home version

Network issue on Win 10 Home version: We have 5 HP all in one Desktops all purchased about 8 months ago, the desktop I use is causing problems with networking, all the desktops run on the same network, my desktop is unable to see networks via the file explorer in the "This PC" Section but if I us the "quick...
  10. Static IP with a specific Network

Static IP with a specific Network: Hi. Sometimes, i need use a static IP in a network at the office. With my android phone, the specific network as configured to get static IP. All other networks gets automatic IP's. So, when i need connect windows 10 to this network, i open control panel, select network...