Windows 10: Win 10 Host File and Full URL

Discus and support Win 10 Host File and Full URL in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi, I was just reading about your host blocks and followed the directions to a T. but, I'm still having issues even after clearing DNS cache. So, if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lance77tour, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Win 10 Host File and Full URL

hi, I was just reading about your host blocks and followed the directions to a T. but, I'm still having issues even after clearing DNS cache.

So, if I try and block https://signup.mathmedia.net that pops up from another webpage it changes its full URL after ".net" each time.

How do you account for the after ".net"

Currently, it still opens to this page full URL and if I try and go back with the back button in Chrome it just goes back to each "/" in URL so I have to click/hold back button to get to the previous site.

Example: 2 attempts

*signup.mathmedia.net/en/html/sf/registration/eone.html#&sf=eone&lng=en&ref=5074544&prod=1&_sign=2475ee35213c537e413cf825ce52533d&_signt=158343654 7*

*signup.mathmedia.net/en/html/sf/registration/eone.html#&sf=eone&lng=en&ref=5074544&prod=1&_sign=9b626fe33fda8ec5bc4b151c265f5152&_signt=158343656 4*

In this case, as I misspoke earlier. It doesn't open a new tab, reopens in the same tab. Although, I do have those webpages that open up a new tab.

Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657)

:)

lance77tour, Mar 6, 2020

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, Mar 6, 2020
  4. vexen Win User

Win 10 Host File and Full URL

Good file hosting/uploading site?

Comparison of file hosting services - Wikipedia

Take a look at this list maybe...

However, if you're somewhat serious about these videos, and a price like 5-10$ is something you can afford, I'd suggest that you invest it and save yourself a headache. Good and free doesn't rhyme these days. It's hard to find a service that offers the bandwidth and the speed, free.

vexen, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 Host File and Full URL

1. Win 10 Host File and Full URL - Similar Threads - Host File Full

2. Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...: 1. When I search a .url internet shortcut file name inside a folder, it will not shown in the drop list below the search result field.2. When I search a docx txt and xlsx file name, they will be shown in the drop list below the search result field.3. Then I change the url...
  3. Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...: 1. When I search a .url internet shortcut file name inside a folder, it will not shown in the drop list below the search result field.2. When I search a docx txt and xlsx file name, they will be shown in the drop list below the search result field.3. Then I change the url...
  4. Windows 10 Explorer Search not populating .url files under search box and .url files...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. .url files not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .url files not working: hello there, I am trying to use a .url file but it is not working. it keeps showing me the target location and some other text. I created the .url using the windows shortcut creator built-in. refer the image I copied the URL it showed and it did go to the proper website but...
  6. How to display full URL in Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    How to display full URL in Edge?: I have disabled 2 flags, but it seems to work only on some webpages, not on http? Code: #edge-omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-scheme #edge-omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-trivial-subdomains The problem is that I block port 80, so I need to add "s" to open it. HTTPS redirect...
  7. Pasting URLs into Mail App for Windows 10 but show full URL hyperlinked

Pasting URLs into Mail App for Windows 10 but show full URL hyperlinked: By default, when I paste a website's URL copied from the browser address bar to a Mail app message, it will hyperlink the URL make it clickable but change its text to the title of the webpage... this can be a problem for someone not sure of what the link is actually for if...
  8. .url files

.url files: so for apps like steam, to open games on the desktop, the file is a .url file. i have the latest version of windows insider build, and it just will not open. how do i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/url-files/c9e99cac-8564-4868-bbe0-3ced22fe6671
  9. .url file problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .url file problem: this all started when I was trying to play some steam games and I must have selected open with note pad instead. I went to the properties of one of my games and changed the opens with setting to steam client bootstrapper because it is the only steam related option I could...
  10. Win 10 A Host of Erratic Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 A Host of Erratic Issues: About a week ago my system started acting up. I've scanned for viri but haven't found any. Various issues: 1. In main menu, all apps: rapid, uncontrolled scrolling. 2. In Chrome and Win Explorer, scrolling limited to one page per click. 3. Occasional drop down...