Windows 10: WIN 10 incorrectly identifying monitors

Discus and support WIN 10 incorrectly identifying monitors in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a dual monitor setup. A Philips 32 inch is my main screen and a HP 27 inch my secondary. In display my No.1 monitor(Philips) is selected as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BobGHW, Sep 11, 2020.

1. BobGHW Win User

WIN 10 incorrectly identifying monitors

I have a dual monitor setup. A Philips 32 inch is my main screen and a HP 27 inch my secondary.

In display my No.1 monitor(Philips) is selected as main display but when I click Identify it shows my secondary monitor(HP) as No.1

All my apps, games open on my secondary monitor.

I have a Radeon R9 380 graphics card and it shows my main display as the secondary monitor. I cant change the display in the Radeon app it just opens up the windows 10 display window.

I have tried disabling my secondary monitor rebooting opening a couple off apps then connecting my second monitor. The apps that I opened then move to the secondary monitor??

Changing the main display to secondary and back to primary doesn't change anything.

Any help appreciated.

:)

BobGHW, Sep 11, 2020
  2. RDLouks Win User

Hardrive identified incorrectly

I also am experiencing the same problem. In Defrag Windows 10 is incorrectly identifying my Raid 1 drive(s) as Solid State instead of normal Hard Disk Drive. Will not allow me to perform a Defrag. Please help.

RDLouks, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Extending monitors or cloning Problems win 10

Hi Brad,

It seems the it was not identified yet as to which monitor should be the main display or the secondary display. For us to sort this out, let's ensure that your PC monitor is set as the primary or the main display. Follow these steps:

1. Make sure to plug in both monitors (HP monitor and 4K HDTV).
    2. Once done, navigate to Settings > System > Display.
    3. Click the Identify button to display the number of the monitors to match with the display.
    4. Once identified, set your PC monitor as the main display.

Now, if your HP monitor still shows up as display 2 even if it's already set as the main, then it has something to do with the ports where the monitors are connected. There's a possibility that it's not connected to the NVIDIA graphics card. You may have
    to unplug it and move it to the port where your TV is currently connected and vise versa. Once done, check your display settings again and see if your HP monitor now appears as display 1.

With regard to the resolution, there's a possibility that your NVIDIA graphics card can only throw the maximum resolution shown on the options. I suggest that you use the maximum or the recommended. For more information about the resolution the graphics
    card can support, you may get in touch with the NVIDIA support for assistance.

Looking forward to your reply.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 11, 2020
  4. WIN 10 incorrectly identifying monitors

External Monitor Not Identified (Windows 10)

Fix was simple. I had to restart my computer a couple of times, so that it could run the full list of updates. After this, my PC identified the monitor and other peripherals just fine.

JonCochran, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

WIN 10 incorrectly identifying monitors

1. WIN 10 incorrectly identifying monitors - Similar Threads - incorrectly identifying monitors

2. Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager: After cloning the C: drive in my Windows 10 computer Ryzen 7 5800X3D and RTX 3080 I installed the new SSD and a new RTX 4090. I then found that the Control Panel utility for setting up touchscreen monitors and the Settings utility for calibrating displays and touchscreens...
  3. Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager: After cloning the C: drive in my Windows 10 computer Ryzen 7 5800X3D and RTX 3080 I installed the new SSD and a new RTX 4090. I then found that the Control Panel utility for setting up touchscreen monitors and the Settings utility for calibrating displays and touchscreens...
  4. External Monitor scaling incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Monitor scaling incorrect: I have a laptop connected to a docking station with two external monitors. I'm running Windows 10 v21H2 OS Build 19044, 1503.I have the scaling set up as "recommended":Laptop: 125%Ext. Monitor 1: 100%Ext. Monitor 2: 100%On Monday everything was displaying fine. I was jumping...
  5. External Monitor scaling incorrect

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor scaling incorrect: I have a laptop connected to a docking station with two external monitors. I'm running Windows 10 v21H2 OS Build 19044, 1503.I have the scaling set up as "recommended":Laptop: 125%Ext. Monitor 1: 100%Ext. Monitor 2: 100%On Monday everything was displaying fine. I was jumping...
  6. External Monitor scaling incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Incorrect monitor resolutions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incorrect monitor resolutions: For several years I've been using a 2 monitor setup: a Samsung SE790 3440x1440 and an ASUS VS247H-P 1920x1080 Sapphire RX5600XT GPU for reference. For a couple months I had to move from my usual space and connect to a television, during which time I had to reinstall Windows...
  8. Incorrect login email for Win 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Incorrect login email for Win 10: When I start up my Win 10 laptop, somehow the email address has changed. The first part of it is correct, except that the end of the email address has now changed from @hotmail.co.uk to @ hotmail.com and so I cannot log on to my laptop. There is no option to change the email...
  9. BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable: BitLocker incorrectly identifies two of my internal SATA hard drives as removable drives on Windows 2012 Server. I noticed Windows Server also shows these drives as removable when I use the SYSTRAY icon for ejecting USB drives. If you look at the properties of those disks, in...
  10. Windows incorrectly identifies optimal resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows incorrectly identifies optimal resolution: I'm experiencing a blurry/small display for text (and some images) across a wide variety of apps and the desktop. Using Alienware x51 R2. Basically this started about a month ago after installing Witcher3. So I'm not sure if driver updates caused some problem, playing the...