Windows 10: Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

Discus and support Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AllanBower1, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the activation key, and if I have to format the SSD, will I be able to re install Win 10 pro without the key.I am currently using my laptop which has the same activation key so is there some way I can access the key from my laptop?

:)

AllanBower1, Apr 21, 2022

2. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Apr 21, 2022
  3. Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD to rplace failing HDD and corrupte

How to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD that will replace a failing HDD and corrupted data files in a Laptop PC?
    There seems to be a lot of old posts that touch on various subjects that I need help with but none that lump them all together. This is a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD on a Laptop PC that was previously upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade just prior to the free upgrade becoming unavailable. About 6 months ago intermittent weird problems began to appear and with the help of various support groups and Windows Community we came to the conclusion that the HDD needed to be replaced(failed Seagate's drive test) with an SSD (My Choice) and a clean install of Windows 10(corrupted data files in the OS).
    I was given a URL to download and burn to DVD an ISO file of Windows 10 PRO 64bit OS. I purchased a 240GB Sandisk SSD. I don't need to partition this drive as the single C: partition is adequate for size and speed.
    Is there a step by step procedure listed somewhere that preps(formats?) the SSD using disk management for Windows 10 and then using the ISO file that I burned to a DVD, installs Windows 10 on to my SSD? I am not familiar with ISO files and am assuming that is something that is sent to you to boot from and install from when you order SW from MS.

RogerAttila, Apr 21, 2022
  4. Law K Win User

Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

Can windowsold.wim save a corrupt Windows 10 SSD Drive?

Q: What is the exact steps to take a corrupted Win 10 machine and reverting it back to Win 7 using the Windowsold.wim data manually?

I recently upgraded my Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bit computer to win 10. After just a few days, the computer crashed. All attempts to repair, restore or go back to Win 7 have failed. Here are the details.

The OS was installed on a Intel SSDSA, 100gb drive. Most of the data is on a separate terabyte drive. Win 10 wanted more space than what was available so I installed another SSD drive and let Win 10 use this drive (more later).

After just a few days, Win 10 did some updates. That's when the SSD drive holding the system files crashed.

I created a windows 10 disk using the media creation tool. Using the Win 10 disk, I went into every advanced repair tool, but was unable to get any positive results.

Going into the command prompt, I used the following commands:

echo list volume | diskpart

The SSD drive is now RAW. Chkdsk does not work as it cannot recognize the drive. The OS cannot be found when using this command:

bcdedit | find /i "OSDEVICE"

sfc /scannow, also does not work.

I tried several other commands they likewise did not work.

I tested the RAM and Cables as well.

Placing the SSD into another Win 10 machine was something I did early. This Win 10 machine said the SSD needed to be formatted.

I have come to the opinion that my SSD drive holding the system files is corrupt beyond repair. There is not much else to try.

I mentioned that I tried to revert back to win 7, but the win 10 repair tools could not find the files to use.

MANUALLY REVERTING BACK TO PREVIOUS WINDOW QUESTION:

As mentioned, Win 10 did not have enough space to install and prompted me to provide it. I installed another SSD hoping Win 10 would install there. Win 10 only placed temp files there.

On this second SSD, I can see the following folder:

$windows.~tmp

In a sub-folder, I see:

Windowsold.wim.

According to what I read, it is possible to use these files to restore my win 7 system files. It is just a matter of renaming and copying them over to a working HD. Everything I read shows how to do it for win versions less than 10. Please see:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/16282-windows-old-folder-restore-into-new-installation.html

Q: What is the exact steps to take a corrupted Win 10 machine and reverting it back to Win 7 using the Windowsold.wim data manually?

Thank you very much.

Law K, Apr 21, 2022
Thema:

Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

1. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD - Similar Threads - Instalation due corrupt

2. SSD replacement and clean install win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD replacement and clean install win 10: I am replacing my primary SSD as it's failed, when I come to reinstall windows 10 which was preinstalled when i bought the laptop new onto the new SSD, will the machine recognise it is authorised to reinstall it as of course I was given no product key or does the broken SSD...
  3. SSD replacement and clean install win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD replacement and clean install win 10: I am replacing my primary SSD as it's failed, when I come to reinstall windows 10 which was preinstalled when i bought the laptop new onto the new SSD, will the machine recognise it is authorised to reinstall it as of course I was given no product key or does the broken SSD...
  4. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  5. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  6. Win 10 clean install on SSD

Win 10 clean install on SSD: I’m trying to install Win 10 Pro on a new SSD. I’m using a bootable USB created with the latest Rufus utility. I’ve gotten to several places in the install screen the everything goes black. So far, as far as the windows repair facility then stalled because it says I’m not an...
  7. Win 10 corrupted.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 corrupted.: I tried to reset my PC back to it’s factory settings, but midway the power decided to cut out. Now, after the loading screen it just completely crashes and the BSOD shows up and that’s pretty much it. I can’t even access the WinRE menu! What should I do now? submitted by...
  8. Corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupt SSD: A while back, I replaced the HDD in a Sony PS3 Slim with a 480GB SSD to try to speed it up. The system said it had to be formatted, so I formatted it. The formatting stalled at about 90% and now the SSD is corrupted. I put it in an Inateck USB 3.0 drive enclosure and...
  9. Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD

Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD: I installed an SSD drive in place of my optical drive on my laptop. I wish to use this drive as boot drive. I have tried using windows media media creation tool, which recognized the new drive, to install windows 10 and it goes through the whole thing and then says my...
  10. Win 10 to SSD No free install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 to SSD No free install: Hello, I am running an unauthorized version of Win 7 64 in my PC. I have two sata hard drives using Casper to clone. I am buying a Samsung 2.5-Inch 500 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive. I want to buy Windows Ten and install it, and most of my Apps on the SSD, keeping everything...