Windows 10: Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer?

Discus and support Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Win 10 computer (legal upgrade from Win 7) that gives me terrible problems booting up, re-starting, or shutting down. I would repair the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ssscott, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ssscott Win User

Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer?

I have a Win 10 computer (legal upgrade from Win 7) that gives me terrible problems booting up, re-starting, or shutting down. I would repair the install but I'd lose all/many of my other programs. So what I want to do is have a fresh Windows 10 bare install on a second hard drive while leaving this problem version where it is and have a pop-up menu asking me to decide which version I want to use when it boots up. Is this possible? How do I get the menu asking me to select a version? Also, since this is a legit version, can I use the same Windows license for the two versions on the same machine? Third, I've read that on a re-install/repair that Windows will verify the license automatically so I won't need a license key (which since it was a free upgrade I don't have.) Is that true? Thanks.

:)

ssscott, Feb 11, 2019

2. Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Feb 11, 2019
  3. kajson Win User
    Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer? ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Feb 11, 2019
  4. rk3066 Win User

Win.10 won't boot after installing Win.7

Hi,

So i installed Win.10 via the UEFI and after installing Win.7 on Legacy Mode onto a different HDD i can't boot into Win.10 (I believe can only because Win.10 was installed via UEFI)

I tried installing the BCD Software but nope. I even tried to select my HDD but say Winload.exe error

Even tried going into the USB and try repairing but the same thing happens

rk3066, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer? - Similar Threads - install different drives

2. Two Listings for Same Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two Listings for Same Drive: I didn't see a section for Storage so I guess I post here. I just installed an external hard drive on a friends computer. I find the drive is listed twice. Same drive letter, same contents. What do I do about this? 163993
  3. Two Partitions With Same Drive Letter on Same Disk; Explores shows differently, Disk...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Partitions With Same Drive Letter on Same Disk; Explores shows differently, Disk...: Here are the snippets of it! [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-partitions-with-same-drive-letter-on-same-disk/f97e5b00-bc14-47f2-b280-47aad31caa71
  4. Two keys in the same PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two keys in the same PC: Hello everyone. I have bought a PC with Windows 10 home. After few months, I bought a Windows 10 pro Key and i've done the upgrade. But everytime I reinstall Windows, by default, It activates the home edition, so i have to to insert the pro Key manually. How can I fix that?...
  5. Installing Windows 10 on two different drives on the same computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 on two different drives on the same computer: To confirm powering up one hard drive with W10 on it, shutting down that hard drive and powering up another hard drive with the same W10 installation disk on the same computer will not work? So there is no way to use two hard drives, powering them up separately, using the...
  6. Two WIn 10 machines on same network with different network speed test results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two WIn 10 machines on same network with different network speed test results: I have two machines running Windows 10 1903 connected via Ethenet to the same Ehtenet switch. Until recenlty, running a network speed test on both machines would yield essentially the same results as long as the same server was being used. It didn't matter what speed test...
  7. Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key: I upgraded mine from Windows 10 Home, to Windows 10 Pro. Windows was oringally installed as fresh on both computers. Bother computers had their own product key. I have two Windows 7 Ultimate key, which I used to upgrade my Windows 10. Yesterday, while working on my Sister's...
  8. Win 10 - Same login - different computers - different mouse settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 - Same login - different computers - different mouse settings: Good afternoon, I have Windows 10 on two computer with the same login profile. On one computer, I have a left handed mouse on it with the buttons switched. On my laptop, it has a normal touch pad. The issue is that my left button on my Desktop is switched so it is back to...
  9. Install Win 10 on two hard disks, same computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Win 10 on two hard disks, same computer: Good day everyone The reason why I want to install Windows 10 on each of my two hard disks is because the Win 10 on my first disk is for my job, where I need to install software provided by my employer. The second Wind 10 on my second hard disk is for my personal use, where...
  10. Win 10 Pro and Win 10 EDU installation on same SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro and Win 10 EDU installation on same SSD: I'm a member over at eight forums and have just registered here, hello! Windows 10 Pro was/is my default operating system - I've just installed Windows 10 EDU on a different partition on the same SSD. (One install needs Java 6 update 6 where my work systems use them. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i install windows 10 on 2 hard drives with same key