Windows 10: Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery

Discus and support Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently bought a new laptop and decided to upgrade my older laptop Win7 to Win10. I have the complete Win10 USB as I had installed it on the Win7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Airdale, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Airdale Win User

Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery

I recently bought a new laptop and decided to upgrade my older laptop Win7 to Win10. I have the complete Win10 USB as I had installed it on the Win7 machine several years ago, but went back to Win 7. Now I decided to re-upgrade the Win7 Pavilion to Win 10.

During the install process I elected to format the target drive Drive0, a Seagate 1TB hybrid drive. The installation then failed, tried again and no joy. So I decided to use the recovery media to restore Win7 on the Pavilion so as to be able to once again install Win10. The computer went through the entire process only to say the recovery had failed.

I managed to get into safe mode at a command prompt, did a CHKDSK /F, but it could not find the HDD.

Tried to install from a Win7 complete OS disk, and it prompted me to install the HDD driver, which I tried to find as a download, but none were accepted by setup. Tried running Win10 USB setup again and got the BSOD, shown below.

My thinking is that I need to get a driver for the HDD installed as I do not believe the drive itself has failed; it is only two or three years old, has worked perfectly and there is no reason to believe it has failed.

Anybody have any ideas about this as I would hate to toss a perfectly good laptop because I somehow messed up the HDD>

Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery d9d8a891-6b1b-47a3-93cf-be7c4cacc728?upload=true.jpg

:)

Airdale, Apr 3, 2021

2. Win 10 Recovery when HDD fails

Hi there, starting to roll out Windows 10 across our 20 Windows 7 laptops for various reasons and thought about recovery for any of these at a later stage?

If I may ask a few questions?

1 - If I have software or malware issues and need to recover using the 'reset' option would this roll back to Win 7 or the newly installed Windows 10?

2 - If a HDD fails & needs replacing, I am guessing the 'reset' option is gone, would I need to install Windows 7 then upgrade to Win 10 again?

3 - On Win 8 machines that would mean installing Win 8, upgrading to Win 8 Pro with product key originally purchased, then upgrading to Win 10, is that correct?

4 - Is there a built in method (without extra purchase) to allow me to image the machine as is, then restore that onto new HDD, I am guessing there would be authentication issues, but don't believe MS haven't thought about this?

5 - What happens after year 1 if option 2 or 3 above occurs, would I then need to purchase Win 10?

Many thanks

Gary

garybrett1703, Apr 3, 2021
  3. Win 7 sys. recovery partition

Ok everytime I install an OS I reformat the hdd and delete all partitions. When Win 7 is fully installed it creates it's own "system recovery" partition. But this time it didn't*Confused Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery :confused: I know how to create partitions, so can I create one for the recovery and will the os recognize it as a recovery partition?

t77snapshot, Apr 3, 2021
  4. Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery

The system image restore failed. The post-recovery operation to install drivers in the offline operating system failed. (0x807800B8)".

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to start Volume Shadow Copy service
    and set it to Automatic.

Steps to Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Volume Shadow Copy service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.
    Note: You may lose the restore points when you stop the VSS.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict and check.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

I also suggest you to refer to the section creating a recovery drive in below article.

Repair & recovery

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Reference: I also suggest you to refer the below article for more information about Recovery options in Windows 10.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Recovery options in Windows 10

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 3, 2021
Thema:

Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery

1. Win 10 Installation fails to find HDD. Cannot perform a system recovery - Similar Threads - Installation fails find

2. I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...: I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD and now my data is lost. Please advise on how to get data back?...
  3. I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...: I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD and now my data is lost. Please advise on how to get data back?...
  4. CANNOT GET MICROPHONE TO PERFORM IN WIN 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CANNOT GET MICROPHONE TO PERFORM IN WIN 10: After a recent Windows 10 reinstall on my HP PC, I find that I am unable to allow the microphone to work. In SOUND settings, I selected "RealTek Microphone"., and the "Disable" box is unticked. In PRIVACY settings, microphone access is allowed for all apps. However, when I...
  5. CANNOT GET MICROPHONE TO PERFORM IN WIN 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CANNOT GET MICROPHONE TO PERFORM IN WIN 10: After a recent Windows 10 reinstall on my HP PC, I find that I am unable to allow the microphone to work. In SOUND settings, I selected "RealTek Microphone"., and the "Disable" box is unticked. In PRIVACY settings, microphone access is allowed for all apps. However, when I...
  6. System Misreporting HDD Performance?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Misreporting HDD Performance?: Hi all,I've been having this bizarre issue where task manager reports my HDD read and write speeds as around 15KB/s with average response times often going up to 3000ms. The HDD performance looks terrible on task manager, but it loads and runs games just fine. Normally this...
  7. Windows 10 cannot find my HDD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 cannot find my HDD: I have an SSD and a HDD, and Windows 10 cannot find my hard disk drive. When I go to This PC, it does not show up. Device Manager doesn't show it, either. This could explain why Windows is taking about a full minute to boot up. How do I get Windows to find my HDD again?...
  8. WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN 10 recovery drive cannot find system image on second internal PC SSD: I create a system image each night of the C: drive and store it on a 1TB secondary internal DL: drive in the PC. If I boot to a USB recover drive it cannot find the system image on the 1TB D drive to recover back to the C drive. What should I do?...
  9. Windows 10 FRESHLY installed - FAILED to restore image the system cannot find the file...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 FRESHLY installed - FAILED to restore image the system cannot find the file...: Just re-installed windows 10 after upgrading to a raid 0 m.2 set up with dual Evo 960 1TB SSDs. After troubleshooting all the issues of actually getting windows to recognize the raid, and also HAVING BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS THE BACKUP IMAGE BEFORE WHILE REINSTALLING WINDOWS 10 -...
  10. Added HDD, cant find OS system recovery BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Added HDD, cant find OS system recovery BSOD: So i added an WD 2TB HDD to my computer, and removed an old ATI Sapphire HD 5450 GPU. When i booted up, my computer was unable to find an OS, and it said to remove any HDD that does not have an OS, and so i did. Then i t said reboot and choose device, but when o rebooted, it...