Windows 10: Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge

Discus and support Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; All- I change the default browser back to Chrome at least 3 times a week. I seems like everytime someone sends me a URL in a MS app (Skype for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chris Hackett99, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Chris Hackett99 Win User

Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge

All-

I change the default browser back to Chrome at least 3 times a week. I seems like everytime someone sends me a URL in a MS app (Skype for Business, Outlook, etc) .. and I click that link 1) The URL opens in IE or Edge .. and 2) It changes my default browser back to edge / IE.

How can I change the behavior so that links in ALL apps open in Chrome and that no other MS apps are constantly changing my default browser? It's driving me nuts.

Chris

:)

Chris Hackett99, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

There are three other ways to set your default program. In Default apps, navigate the page to find the following:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app

To manually change your default browser, follow these steps:

• Set your preferred default browser to skip Choose default apps by file type. Click
      Choose default apps by protocol then look for HTTP and HTTPS. Change them to your preferred browser.
    • After that, click Set defaults by app and wait for the new windows to load. Search your preferred browser and click it. Select
      Set this program as default and press OK.
    • Close all your browsers and check if it still asks you to set your browser.

Let us know how it goes after doing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Ann McNew Win User

Yes, just to confirm again, when I open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app - I get the pop-up to make FireFox my default browser and I check the box and confirm. If I also complete all of Erika's suggestions:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app
    Then for THAT session, everything works ok. But when I shutdown and restart, it all reverts to Edge - the default browser and all my selections for default app by file type, default app by protocol and defaults by app..

If I ONLY open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app and make it my default browser, but then click on a link within an Outlook mail - the link will open in Edge.

What confuses me about Erika's sentence: "Set your preferred default browser to skip
    Choose default apps by file type." is the part about 'set your preferred default browser to skip' is this a setting within FireFox after making it my default browser? Because I am changing default apps by file type on the Windows Settings
    page and choosing http and https to be connected to FireFox instead of Edge.

Regardless, any changes that I make are changed back to Edge after a shutdown or restart and I am completely frustrated by having to reset everything each time I start my computer.

Ann McNew, Oct 11, 2018
  4. AthenaWins Win User

Not to sound rude, but I obviously understand how to change my default browser. I have had to do it about 30 times since Windows 10 launched. The problem is that it continues to change back to Edge without me asking it to or giving it permission. I don't care
    if it's "recommended." It is simply not the app I prefer to use. I want to make it stop changing my settings.

AthenaWins, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge - Similar Threads - Keeps changing default

2. Colours in Windows 10 Calendar keep changing back to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Colours in Windows 10 Calendar keep changing back to default: Hello, I'm having a bit of a minor, yet still frustrating, issue with Calendar. I have my Google calendar synced and am enjoying using the Windows App but I don't like the default colours it chooses to represent my different categories. I would just get rid of Google...
  3. Edge is default but things open in IE

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is default but things open in IE: Hi. I'm using W10 and have Edge as the default browser (I also use Chrome and Firefox). Some programs are automatically opening in Internet Explorer such as when I open Google+ photos or when software updates and shows what has changed on its website. Any ideas how to change...
  4. edge browser emulates IE -not a fan anymore

in Browsers and Email
    edge browser emulates IE -not a fan anymore: since after the recent upgrade to win10, edge browser received additional addons like lastpass. i though oh great news.. however, edge has been behaving quite like IE. page loads freeze. get popup "page unresponsive" so much so, i would have to close it and use an alternative...
  5. Default browser change to Cyberfox

in Browsers and Email
    Default browser change to Cyberfox: Only Firefox is listed in Windows 10 browser change options - would I be able to change to Cyberfox which I prefer. If so, how, please? 10843
  6. How to Change the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to Change the default browser: Hi everyone. I want to share this video tutorial that i make, It teaches you how to change the default browser in Windows 10 *Smile [MEDIA] oULwD72rlWE Bye! 34695
  7. How to change browser that email opens in from IE to Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    How to change browser that email opens in from IE to Edge?: Hello! I mistakenly chose IE as the browser for my emails to open in when I imported my mails from outlook and I wish to change this to MS Edge. How to I go about this? I've checked in the settings, but it doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. MY IE doesn't function...
  8. Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App Source Keeps Changing Back to Default: My default sources keep changing from the sources that I choose. Also, the photos app keeps recreating the pictures library in the C:\Users\UserHere directory even though I changed it over to another drive. I've also already tried uninstalling the photos app via Windows...
  9. how to change the win 10 search bar default web browser

in Windows 10 Support
    how to change the win 10 search bar default web browser: hi i was playing about with the new search bar located on task bar for windows 10 and i cam across something odd i search for something on the bar and then a menu popped up asking me what i wanted to search through (firefox, google chrome, edge). when it popped up i didnt...
  10. How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge: Hi there I can't use EDGE as my default browser as I have a few media servers and as has been pointed out that as EDGE is a universal app addresses like 127.0.0.1:8000 (i.e localhost type stuff) are no longer addressable. I need these types of addresses to use the web...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge microsoft