Windows 10: Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge

Discus and support Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; All- I change the default browser back to Chrome at least 3 times a week. I seems like everytime someone sends me a URL in a MS app (Skype for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chris Hackett99, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge

All-

I change the default browser back to Chrome at least 3 times a week. I seems like everytime someone sends me a URL in a MS app (Skype for Business, Outlook, etc) .. and I click that link 1) The URL opens in IE or Edge .. and 2) It changes my default browser back to edge / IE.

How can I change the behavior so that links in ALL apps open in Chrome and that no other MS apps are constantly changing my default browser? It's driving me nuts.

Chris

:)

Chris Hackett99, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

There are three other ways to set your default program. In Default apps, navigate the page to find the following:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app

To manually change your default browser, follow these steps:

• Set your preferred default browser to skip Choose default apps by file type. Click
      Choose default apps by protocol then look for HTTP and HTTPS. Change them to your preferred browser.
    • After that, click Set defaults by app and wait for the new windows to load. Search your preferred browser and click it. Select
      Set this program as default and press OK.
    • Close all your browsers and check if it still asks you to set your browser.

Let us know how it goes after doing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Ann McNew Win User

Yes, just to confirm again, when I open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app - I get the pop-up to make FireFox my default browser and I check the box and confirm. If I also complete all of Erika's suggestions:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app
    Then for THAT session, everything works ok. But when I shutdown and restart, it all reverts to Edge - the default browser and all my selections for default app by file type, default app by protocol and defaults by app..

If I ONLY open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app and make it my default browser, but then click on a link within an Outlook mail - the link will open in Edge.

What confuses me about Erika's sentence: "Set your preferred default browser to skip
    Choose default apps by file type." is the part about 'set your preferred default browser to skip' is this a setting within FireFox after making it my default browser? Because I am changing default apps by file type on the Windows Settings
    page and choosing http and https to be connected to FireFox instead of Edge.

Regardless, any changes that I make are changed back to Edge after a shutdown or restart and I am completely frustrated by having to reset everything each time I start my computer.

Ann McNew, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge

Not to sound rude, but I obviously understand how to change my default browser. I have had to do it about 30 times since Windows 10 launched. The problem is that it continues to change back to Edge without me asking it to or giving it permission. I don't care
    if it's "recommended." It is simply not the app I prefer to use. I want to make it stop changing my settings.

AthenaWins, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge

1. Win 10 Keeps changing the default Browser back to IE / Edge - Similar Threads - Keeps changing default

2. Win updates seems to set my Edge browser back to default settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win updates seems to set my Edge browser back to default settings?: It's appearing as it when this win 11 updates, maybe not every update, not sure, then some, maybe all, of the settings I've changed in Edge revert back. For instance. I set Copilot to OFF and after an Windows update it's back, and same with other settings. Is this normal?...
  3. Win updates seems to set my Edge browser back to default settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win updates seems to set my Edge browser back to default settings?: It's appearing as it when this win 11 updates, maybe not every update, not sure, then some, maybe all, of the settings I've changed in Edge revert back. For instance. I set Copilot to OFF and after an Windows update it's back, and same with other settings. Is this normal?...
  4. Windows 10 keeps changing default browser

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 keeps changing default browser: [ATTACH]The beauty of the Windows 10 operating system is that you’re spoiled for choice […] This article Windows 10 keeps changing default browser first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Cannot set IE as a default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot set IE as a default browser: I want to have IE as a default browser. I am trying to set it using Chrome. I do it in the following way: select Internet Options, then Programs but the Programs tab disappears after that. I uninstalled Internet Explorer and reinstalled it again but nothing has changed...
  6. Making IE 11 the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE 11 the default browser: Our company still use IE 11 for many things and I was looking for a way to make it the default browser, anybody got some good tips on how to do this? many thx *Biggrin 125823
  7. Changing Edge as my default browser!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Edge as my default browser!: I am really annoyed: I got a message telling me that Edge would be a faster and more secure search engine; so I opted for it. However I had no idea that it would then stop me using Google Chrome! otherwise I would not have changed from the original. I am very angry to find...
  8. Edge is default but things open in IE

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is default but things open in IE: Hi. I'm using W10 and have Edge as the default browser (I also use Chrome and Firefox). Some programs are automatically opening in Internet Explorer such as when I open Google+ photos or when software updates and shows what has changed on its website. Any ideas how to change...
  9. How to change browser that email opens in from IE to Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    How to change browser that email opens in from IE to Edge?: Hello! I mistakenly chose IE as the browser for my emails to open in when I imported my mails from outlook and I wish to change this to MS Edge. How to I go about this? I've checked in the settings, but it doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. MY IE doesn't function...
  10. How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge: Hi there I can't use EDGE as my default browser as I have a few media servers and as has been pointed out that as EDGE is a universal app addresses like 127.0.0.1:8000 (i.e localhost type stuff) are no longer addressable. I need these types of addresses to use the web...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default browser keeps changing to ie

2. default browser keeps changing back

3. windows 10 default browser keeps changing

4. default browser keeps changing,
  5. my default broswer keeps changing back to internet explorer,
  6. win10 kept switching between ie and edge,
  7. windows 10 keeps switching browser back to to edge,
  8. windows 10 default browswer swithes back,
  9. win 10 default apps keeps changing back to ie,
  10. windows keeps switching default back to edge,
  11. win 10 default programs change,