Windows 10: Win 10 keeps freezing

Discus and support Win 10 keeps freezing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Desktop 8GB Ram-64 bit Please advise what other specs I should post. After last update on 9-14-17 computer works great until I actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metrov, Sep 14, 2017.

1. metrov Win User

Win 10 keeps freezing

Windows 10
    Desktop
    8GB Ram-64 bit

Please advise what other specs I should post. After last update on 9-14-17 computer works great until I actually try to do something. For example, I ran a software program that converts video files. This program usually works very quickly, but yesterday, it took around 12 hours to do what would have normally taken less than an hour. The bigger problem is trying to copy files from my C drive to an external HD. The copy process seems to start, but then freezes on anywhere between 0 & 2 percent.My computer is completely non-functional, and I'm trying to run a business. I don't even know where to begin. I've been researching for solutions for days, and everything I find is so incredibly complicated, I just can't believe that Microsoft would release these updates that cause such problems. Any guidance much appreciated.

:)

metrov, Sep 14, 2017

2. Microsoft Edge Freezing?

My Microsoft edge keeps freezing up.. Just did the MS updates for win 10 yesterday.

Bob Christensen1, Sep 14, 2017
  3. Computer freezes with upgrading to Windows 10.

Original Title: Freezing problem with upgraded to win 10

I got a intel compute stick for my birthday And I upgraded it to win 10 and it keeps freezing two mins after start up and the I try to recover it and it says it is missing recover Element And it is making me mad need help asap

XavierPeterson, Sep 14, 2017
  4. metrov Win User

Win 10 keeps freezing

Did I post something stupid? No ideas? If I need to restate my post or something, please advise. I was hoping to get help here. Thanks again.

metrov, Sep 14, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Hi metrov and welcome to Tenforums.

Check Task manager for start to see what is slowing down computer (CPU, memory or disk activity).
    Then check device manager, if there are any yellow exclamation marks.

You can post pictures here. Copy part of the screen that shows appropriate information and pasting it into answer windows.

your question is quite general and one discrepancy in your post: installed updates on 14-9-17 and searching for days... 14.9 was yesterday *Wink

AndreTen, Sep 14, 2017
  6. metrov Win User
    Yes, I was having problems before the update... actually I hadn't had this particular machine on for awhile, so upon booting at the beginning of the week, it started doing a series of updates. I was hoping the last one on the 14th would fix everything, but alas, no. I will post my reports when I get back to my home office. Thanks so much, AndreTen!

metrov, Sep 15, 2017
  7. metrov Win User
    1 -- Ctrl-Alt-Delete to pull up Task Manager gives error message in image, plus turns screen black. In other words, couldn't open Task Manager. I was able to "esc."

Win 10 keeps freezing [​IMG]

2 -- No yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

I'm hoping the error msg is related to the lagging issue. It took over an hour to copy 1GB from hd to ext hd... something that usually takes no time at all. Thanks so much for the help.

metrov, Sep 15, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

Win 10 keeps freezing

Sorry, it's late here. But this doesn't sound good.

Restart machine and try task manager again (right click on taskbar and select Task manager)

Win 10 keeps freezing [​IMG]

Perhaps it would be god idea to download Malwarebytes and run it to check against malware.

AndreTen, Sep 15, 2017
  9. pepanee Win User
    Agreed. That screen shot of that message that you attached does not look like a valid Microsoft message. If there's an OK button on a message window, Microsoft will not state to "press Esc".

Definitely scan your computer for viruses.

pepanee, Sep 15, 2017
  10. metrov Win User
    I scanned my machine using McAfee LiveSafe which came with Win 10. No viruses found. After scan, machine seemed to be running great. Again, I tried copying large file folder from C Drive to Ext HD. It was going great until it reached 19% then simply stopped. I was able to open Task Manager, and nothing appears to be eating up CPU (total: 4%) or Memory (total 20%). Everything else now running very slow again machine-wide. Thanks again for the help.

metrov, Sep 15, 2017
  11. Have you done a scan with Malwarebytes? Or with any anti-virus prog other than the dreaded McAfee?

Look at your processes in Task Manager. Anything there that causes you to say "what the hell is that"?

Have you tried copying to that external via some other port?

Have you considered reverting to some prior state, as with Windows System Restore or perhaps a previously saved image file?

Have you done anything to check the health of your hard drives?

ignatzatsonic, Sep 15, 2017
  12. ignatzatsonic, Sep 15, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

Win 10 keeps freezing

As he said. Point by point

AndreTen, Sep 15, 2017
  14. metrov Win User
    Have you done a scan with Malwarebytes? Or with any anti-virus prog other than the dreaded McAfee? -- Installed Malwarebytes which found 141 "threats" that McAfee missed. All quarantined. Restart. No change

Look at your processes in Task Manager. Anything there that causes you to say "what the hell is that"? -- Have looked at processes numerous times and nothing appears abnormal (wtf) or hogging resources.

Have you tried copying to that external via some other port? -- Yes, I have two different Ext HD's; same "copying" paralysis occurs with both.

Have you considered reverting to some prior state, as with Windows System Restore or perhaps a previously saved image file? -- This is great... one of the recent Win 10 updates apparently wiped out all my restore points. I didn't make image file.

Have you done anything to check the health of your hard drives? -- Did Windows disc check. Found an error on C drive which it then fixed. Still no change in issue.

whoa, what a crazy deal. Your help much appreciated.

metrov, Sep 16, 2017
  15. Malwarebytes found stuff and removed it, but that doesnt not necessarily mean that the damage is fixed, just the infection is gone.

Since it found stuff, I would run another scanner to see if there is anything it missed. Even reputable scanners can miss things now and then. Its just the nature of the game. I would recommend running SuperAntiSpyware. Ive had this one save my backside more than once when other scanners have failed. IF it finds stuff, quarantine it and restart.

After the restart, open a admin command prompt and type: sfc /scannow. You more than likely have system files that were corrupted or damaged by the infection. This will fix them. After than, run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. This will resolve any component store damage that has been done.

ArazelEternal, Sep 16, 2017
Thema:

Win 10 keeps freezing

1. Win 10 keeps freezing - Similar Threads - keeps freezing

2. Screen freeze and laptop keep shutting down on it own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen freeze and laptop keep shutting down on it own: SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎06-‎05-‎2024 18:07StatusReport sentProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: aParameter 1: fffff80e55c1a9e8Parameter 2: 2Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: fffff80655effa3aOS version: 10_0_19045Service Pack: 0_0Product:...
  3. Screen freeze and laptop keep shutting down on it own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen freeze and laptop keep shutting down on it own: SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎06-‎05-‎2024 18:07StatusReport sentProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: aParameter 1: fffff80e55c1a9e8Parameter 2: 2Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: fffff80655effa3aOS version: 10_0_19045Service Pack: 0_0Product:...
  4. Screen freeze and laptop keep shutting down on it own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer Keeps freezing when I use controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Keeps freezing when I use controller: Hey, my computer keeps freezing when I bluetooth connect my controller or even with a wire. For example when i play kbm games its fine it doesnt freeze or crash, but when i use my controller to play games like fifa it will freeze after 5 mins. Please help me fix this thank...
  6. Computer Keeps freezing when I use controller

Computer Keeps freezing when I use controller: Hey, my computer keeps freezing when I bluetooth connect my controller or even with a wire. For example when i play kbm games its fine it doesnt freeze or crash, but when i use my controller to play games like fifa it will freeze after 5 mins. Please help me fix this thank...
  7. My program in-use freezes, but sound keeps playing and all other apps are completely fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My program in-use freezes, but sound keeps playing and all other apps are completely fine.: So I have this issue with my laptop, where my program anything, even file explorer I'm currently using freezes for 5-30 seconds. The thing is, sound and other programs are completely fine.My specs:CPU: Ryzen 5 5600H + integrated GPUGPU: GeForce RTX 3060RAM: 16GB DDR4Internal...
  8. My program in-use freezes, but sound keeps playing and all other apps are completely fine.

My program in-use freezes, but sound keeps playing and all other apps are completely fine.: So I have this issue with my laptop, where my program anything, even file explorer I'm currently using freezes for 5-30 seconds. The thing is, sound and other programs are completely fine.My specs:CPU: Ryzen 5 5600H + integrated GPUGPU: GeForce RTX 3060RAM: 16GB DDR4Internal...
  9. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my mouse cursor freezes randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the cursor, and I can use the keyboard to navigate...
  10. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my mouse cursor freezes randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the cursor, and I can use the keyboard to navigate...