Windows 10: Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info

Discus and support Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there. I had been dual-booting between win 7 and win 10. That part was working fine, but I was unhappy wth my win 10 installation. So I erased the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gallicbear, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info

Hi there. I had been dual-booting between win 7 and win 10. That part was working fine, but I was unhappy wth my win 10 installation. So I erased the partition and reinstalled it. First sign of trouble: It didn't detect my win 7 installation. But it was there (I already got files from it). I installed EasyBCD, added the entry for win 7, saved the set up, then wrote the MBR with the new entry. Went to MSConfig to doublecheck. Both entries were there.
    I restarted, and it booted straight into Win 10. EasyBCD no longer had the win 7 entry. Neither did MSConfig. Went through the whole process again. Same problem at restart. And it wasn't fastboot, I could see the BIOS entry, etc.
    What went wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.
    P.S. By Windows 10 I mean Build 10049.

:)

gallicbear, Apr 26, 2015

2. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Apr 26, 2015
  3. bradserio Win User
    Win 10 upgrade

I have a dual boot pewter. XP on one partition, win 7 on the other. If I let micropuke upgrade me to win 10, will I lose my XP partition?

bradserio, Apr 26, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info

When you wiped out Win 10, did you check if Win 7 boots up? You have to make sure that the host OS is booting up as normal before installing the second OS.

badrobot, Apr 26, 2015
  5. Thanks, badrobot. No, I did not make sure. After doing stuff like that many times with no problem, I never thought of it.

gallicbear, Apr 26, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    It's probably still there, press and hold Shift while clicking Restart to see if you get 'Chose another operating system' option.

Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 26, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    Win 10 always sets itself as a default but you can always change it in msconfig. The problem is if 7 has boot problem before installing 10, you will not get dual boot options and will go straight to 10.

badrobot, Apr 26, 2015
  8. Charlie Win User

Charlie, Apr 26, 2015
  9. Thanks, Edwin. Holding Shift with Restart got me into Startup Repair. But no, it didn't give me the option of Windows 7.

Thanks, Charlie, for the tip of repairing Windows 7. I will try that today and post back.

gallicbear, Apr 26, 2015
  10. Code: bcdboot C:\Windows[/quote] Type that in an elevated command prompt and it should take care of your boot files. Do the same with your drive letter for the other installation.

cyberrufus, Apr 26, 2015
  11. Thanks, cyberrufus. Didn't need that.
    I did what Charlie suggested, and repaired the win 7 installation. Everything is ok now.

Thank you all guys, for your tips.

gallicbear, Apr 26, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Apr 28, 2015
  13. Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info

Thanks, CountMike. If you read my original post, I had been working with EasyBCD, and it didn't solve my problem either. Even when I entered my setup in EasyBCD, it didn't help. It lost it there, too. Probably because Windows only saw one entry in the Bootloader when it started. So this wasn't fixed until I did a repair of Windows 7. From then on, EasyBCD worked with my setup.

gallicbear, Apr 28, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    EasyBCD v2.2, older one that worked on W7 doesn't work on 8/8.1 or W10 properly.
    My situation yesterday:
    Win8.1 on primary boot disk SSD
    Win10TP on secondary HDD, both bootable by themselves.
    Updated W10 and boot was screwed up royally. 5 entries at boot and only W10 would boot.
    EasyBcd was installed on primary disk too. I installed EasyBcd on W10 and set boot order and menu, it was down to two W8.1 and one W10 on the boot menu. I found executable EasyBcd file on SSD with W8.1 and run it while still in W10, set the boot order and everything came out right. Now I can BOOT thru BIOS to either of disks and get exactly same BOOT menu.

CountMike, Apr 29, 2015
  15. badrobot Win User
    This is why I got those screwless removable trays and hard drive power switch installed on my PC. We need to discnonnect all the other working OSes on the same machine before updating Win 10. Or else, boot managers will get screwed up. But you can also manually disconnect them by opening up your case. *Smile But if it is a minor update (KB updates), no need to disconnect.

badrobot, Apr 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info - Similar Threads - keeps losing dual

2. Dual Booting Win 10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting Win 10 home: Hi Im still a little confused. I would like to setup win 10 home I hope on 2 separate SSDs on 1 computer. There is an article here where some one wants to do the exact same thing. One drive for work and one for home. So it seems its possible. My question is do I have to buy a...
  3. Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10

Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10: I have problem related to setting up a dual boot. i am running Windows version 20H2 . When I tried to install windows on a partition using the latest Windows 10 USB installation, the setup continually rebooted after copying the installation files. I tried several times and...
  4. win 10 dual boot

win 10 dual boot: Running win 7 want to set up win10 in Partition. bought win 10 cd but it wants to overwrite win 7 rather then install in separate partition. I have the key etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-dual-boot/e592c47b-19de-4d84-9df2-7b9c6bb4aed9
  5. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  6. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  7. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  8. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  9. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  10. Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10

Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10: Hello Im not sure which would be the best way to do this, Google is good most of the time but I am getting nowhere apart from getting more stress and a headache. I have Win XP with SP2 already loaded and set up just right on a sata drive, Ive bought a new motherboard,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows keeps losing drivers on dual boot