Windows 10: Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network

Discus and support Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have tried to describe this in Win 8 forum as well because I don't know if it's a Win 8 or Win 10 matter. On 2/22 I did a reinstall of Win 8.1 on a HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pogo, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Pogo Win User

Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network

Have tried to describe this in Win 8 forum as well because I don't know if it's a Win 8 or Win 10 matter. On 2/22 I did a reinstall of Win 8.1 on a HP 1504 desktop to allow install of NET 4.8. Previously that desktop, a Win 10 HP laptop & a Win 7 Toshiba laptop could all connect & share files/printers just fine. After the reinstall of Win 8.1 on the desktop, the HP laptop needed network ID & password to connect with the desktop, but three days later it can not even see the desktop in the local network listing. The Toshiba laptop can still connect with the desktop if network ID & password are provided ( again, this was not needed previously), and can connect to the HP laptop as well. Meanwhile, the desktop can connect to either laptop just fine without need for ID & password. I have triple-checked that all possible sharing settings are enabled & password sharing is disabled. All three machines can access the internet through a Nighthawk R7000P router. This problem seems to have begun with the reinstall of Win 8.1, but maybe other issues have crept in as well.Suggestions?

:)

2. mbc320 Win User

Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC.

I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way.

Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Desktop is OK.

Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 Laptop is NO GO.

I do not know whether it is a Win 10 Laptop or a Win 7 Desktop problem. All use the same Homegroup. I am the only user; there are no other accounts on any of the machines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

mbc320, Feb 27, 2020
  3. Keith_O Win User
    Upgrading from WIN 8 to Win 10

hello,

I have a desktop running Win 8

Can anyone provide a step by step upgrade path/instructions to delete Win 8 and load/run Win 10..

thanks

Keith_O, Feb 27, 2020
  4. adoornik Win User

Win 7 and Win 10 on network

I have home network with separate modem, router, and WAP's. My Windows 7 computer does NOT list the Windows 10 computers on network computer list but the Windows 10 computers network list DO list the Windows 7 computer.

Turned off firewalls, gave permissions, shared drives. Nothing allows Win 7 computer to access the Win 10 computers.

Any suggestions for a fix?

adoornik, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network - Similar Threads - laptop cannot find

2. Would like to network win 10 Pro laptop to Win 10 Home desktop for full access to programs...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would like to network win 10 Pro laptop to Win 10 Home desktop for full access to programs...: The Desktop computer Win 10 Home in my office is currently connected to my ISP via ethernet cable on my 4 port router. Just got a Laptop Win 10 Pro and it is connected to the same router by wifi and is on the internet. I am signed on as the Administrator on both computers....
  3. Would like to network win 10 Pro laptop to Win 10 Home desktop for full access to programs...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Would like to network win 10 Pro laptop to Win 10 Home desktop for full access to programs...: The Desktop computer Win 10 Home in my office is currently connected to my ISP via ethernet cable on my 4 port router. Just got a Laptop Win 10 Pro and it is connected to the same router by wifi and is on the internet. I am signed on as the Administrator on both computers....
  4. Would like to network win 10 Pro laptop to Win 10 Home desktop for full access to programs...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices: I am currently running a home network with 3 Windows 10 computers. If I upgrade one device to Windows 11, will network access and file sharing still work across all the devices?...
  6. home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    home network with Win 10 and Win 11 devices: I am currently running a home network with 3 Windows 10 computers. If I upgrade one device to Windows 11, will network access and file sharing still work across all the devices?...
  7. home network win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    home network win 10: Prior questions here have led to no answer. 2 computers on the same wifi network need to access each other. Computer that i need to access shows up on File Explorer - Network. But attempts to access give this: [ATTACH] I have tried all of my passwords, looked for something...
  8. Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop: Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares and connect to them. The win 7 desktop can see the win 10 tablet in the network but any attempt to access the laptop...
  9. Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity

Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity: I have two desktop computers on an Ethernet Home Network. Computer 1 is a Dell Inspiron 530 (April 2009) running Windows 7, Network: L: \\INSPIRON530A Computer 2 is a Dell XPS 8920 (July 2017) running Windows 10 (build 1803), Network: L: \\DESKTOP-Q01G00A Home Networking did...
  10. 2 win 10 pro laptops cannot see win 10 home desktop on wireless LAN

2 win 10 pro laptops cannot see win 10 home desktop on wireless LAN: Have set up wireless LAN at home with 1 xp laptop, 2 win 10 Pro laptops and 1 win 10 home desktop. xp laptop not visible to win 10 computers, win 10 home not visible to 2 laptop Pros. None of the win 10's are allowed to set up homegroup. Desktop is file server for LAN. Would...