Windows 10: Win 10 licences question

Discus and support Win 10 licences question in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all, My computer is currently using Enterprise Win 10 but I have not been able to update since 1803 build as it keeps spitting errors at me and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/timchenw, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Win 10 licences question

Hey all,

My computer is currently using Enterprise Win 10 but I have not been able to update since 1803 build as it keeps spitting errors at me and now I have run into a situation where a software I am using requires the latest 1909 build that I still cannot install.

Just in case that I need to go the nuclear option and downgrade my windows to a standalone professional edition (assuming that is the problem and not some other), I do have a few questions I am hoping I could get help on:

1. I currently have English version of windows 10 installed, but I live in Taiwan, will a Taiwanese product key work or would I need to get my hands on an English key/install a Taiwanese copy of Win 10?

2. Would an OEM key work or would I need to use full retail version key?

3. Is it possible to downgrade Enterprise to Win 10 Home or can I only downgrade to win 10 pro?

Thanks

submitted by /u/timchenw
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/timchenw, Nov 24, 2019

2. Win 10 licence question

I own a retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium, for which I still have the DVD and licence key. I upgraded to Win 10 during the free period. I am building a new PC, and am trying to work out if I can transfer the licence for Win 10 from my old PC to the new build.

I have three separate answers from Microsoft support chat, depending on which customer support person I speak to:

1. Yes, I own a Win 10 licence which may be transferred between machines.

2. My Win 10 licence is tied to a single machine. I can install Win 7 on the new machine, but not 10.

3. I can transfer Win 10 to a new machine, but only if my old one is ‘broken’ (how would MS even verify this?). I told customer support I would be happy to snap my old motherboard, but he did not seem amused.

Advice on various Internet forums is also conflicting. Has anyone done this succesfully, and if so can you point to a set of instructions?

I’m reluctant to just go ahead with the build, install Win 10 and see what happens, because my new machine will canibalise some parts from the old, and it would be painful if I have to rebuild the old machine to attempt some form of de-activation.

HungryQuant, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Kol12 Win User
    Get Windows 10 with a Win 7 licence.

Is it still possible to get a free Windows 10 licence with a legitimate Win 7 licence? Somebody I know wants Win 10 put on their notebook. This How to Geek article suggests it is but I'm unsure if it's still current and whether it can be done with the Win 10 1903 installation media...

You Can Still Get Windows 10 for Free With a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Key

Kol12, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Win 10 licences question

Questions on Windows 10 and licencing/upgrading

I had Windows 8.1 Pro N on my computer, with a serial, that was from the MSDNAA programm. I was able to reserver Win 10, and when it came out, I put the ISO on an USB stick, because I didn't want to upgrade. I wanted a fresh install (I just like fresh installs). Now, I couldn't use my Win 8.1 key, which sucks!

I'm getting the message, that something is not right with the key. So what I did was buying a Win 7 Professionel version. Now, when it arrives, can I enter the licence key directly in Win 10 or do I have to install Win 7, reserve the upgrade, upgrade, and then do a clean install?

Is it even possible to upgrade from Win 7 to 10 when I have a key, that gets activtated AFTER the first day of the Win 10 release?
    Many questions need answers! Thanks in advance for your help.

Musterknabe, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 licences question

1. Win 10 licences question - Similar Threads - licences question

2. A question about licence of microsoft fonts in windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A question about licence of microsoft fonts in windows 10: Hello everyone,I used a font from microsoft font in a project with a client, It is Bahnschrift font and my windows 10 virsion is not activited• Is my use correct?• If it isn't correct -- how to contact with microsoft customer service to tell them that I use it before I know...
  3. A question about licence of microsoft fonts in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about licence of microsoft fonts in windows 10: Hello everyone,I used a font from microsoft font in a project with a client, It is Bahnschrift font and my windows 10 virsion is not activited• Is my use correct?• If it isn't correct -- how to contact with microsoft customer service to tell them that I use it before I know...
  4. A question about licence of microsoft fonts in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Defender for Office 365 licence question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender for Office 365 licence question: Hi!We have Microsoft 365 Business Standard licences for 43 users and we bought Microsoft Defender for Office 365 licences plan 1 for 2 users two weeks ago.Now it seems to us that all Defender plan 1 settings are available for our all 43 users. Am I right? We bought only 2...
  6. quick question. How do i buy just a windows 10 licence key?

quick question. How do i buy just a windows 10 licence key?: i just need the licence key for my new desktop i already have a bootable usb flash drive for it i just need the key for it to fully activate it....
  7. Reinstalling Windows and a Digital Licence Question

Reinstalling Windows and a Digital Licence Question: I am experiencing issues with my HP ZBook running Windows 10 Pro build 1909 , several Microsoft apps or functions hang when called. This is despite going through a reset of Windows after trying several other fixes first. The key aspect of my situation is I cannot link my...
  8. Question about digital licences

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about digital licences: I was wondering how digital licences work in this scenario: PC1 has W10 activated with microsoft account (digital licence tied to account) with harware info from PC1 on the server. First question: Can I remove the microsoft account used to activate Windows? If so, what...
  9. Windows 10 licence install question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 licence install question: Hi, I have a question regarding Windows 10 installs but I am struggling to find the best way to word the issues, so I hope that I have made myself clear – if not, please accept my apologies. My basic question is… do I actually NEED to have 2 different Windows 10 licences to...
  10. Windows 10 Partition and Licence question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Partition and Licence question: I thought I had set my laptop up for a lifetime of data use but it's obviously caught up with me now. I attach a screenshot of my partitions below and have a few questions: 1. I don't understand what the 'Disk 0 Partition 3' is? 2. If I wanted to hypothetically reduce C...