Windows 10: Win 10 license activation on new pc build

Discus and support Win 10 license activation on new pc build in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone I'm planning on building a new pc soon, but I'd like some reassurance before I make a start in a month or two. As I understand it if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Lewis__84, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Lewis__84 Win User

Win 10 license activation on new pc build

Hi everyone

I'm planning on building a new pc soon, but I'd like some reassurance before I make a start in a month or two.

As I understand it if I link my Microsoft account to Windows 10 which I've not done yet then my digital license I upgraded from 7 will be stored on the Microsoft servers, as such reactivation shouldn't be a problem even on a completely new pc, including mobo, is this correct?

I would also like to know if I link my Microsoft account to win 10 on my current pc can I then unlink after and the digital license will still be stored on the servers for when I do upgrade, despite unlinking? as I only want it linked long enough to make sure my licence is stored on the servers, apologies if I've not explained that very well.

Thanks in advance

:)

Lewis__84, Jan 29, 2021

2. Transfer Win 10 license to a new PC

Hello,

I bought a new PC and read that I can transfer my Windows 10 license to it and I have a few questions.

Few years ago I used Win 7 Pro license to install my two PC's.

When FREE update came I upgraded both of them to Windows 10 x64 PRO.

Yesterday I assembled a new PC which will replace one of them and I want to transfer the license to it from the one it is replacing.

The question is if I transfer the activation license will I lose the activation on the second PC or not?

What are the steps to do the actual license transfer?

Vladimir Jelovac, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Building new PC giving current PC to wife - Windows license questions.

I'm about to build a new gaming PC for myself and my wife will be taking over my current PC. As part of my new build I purchased a fresh Windows 10 home retail license/digital download and was curious as to the best way to handle my situation as far as
    Windows is concerned.

What I was thinking... please correct me if wrong or there is a better way:

1. Build new PC and install Windows 10 home via USB drive made from the official installer.
    2. Use activation key from this new Windows 10 home purchase on new PC .
    3. Reset current PC via: Start > Settings > Update and Security > Recovery.
    4. Remove my current PC from my devices via my Microsoft Account online.
    5. Have my wife create a Microsoft account and log in to current PC to take ownership.
    Is this the best practice for my situation?

On my current PC I see via: Start > Settings > Update and Security > Activation that, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". Does this mean I dont need to use the license I just purchased on my new PC build? Will
    the activation/key for my current build that will go to my wife remain with that machine?

Thanks in advance all!

TheCanisDirus, Jan 29, 2021
  4. Win 10 license activation on new pc build

Activating digital license on new PC Build

Hello,

Activation depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7/8/10 came preinstalled with the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

(Not applicable to you)

What you need to do is to grab the key using any Software like Showkey Plus, uninstall that key from older PC and use it on another computer.

Download Showkey Plus:

Ten Forums - Windows 10 Help and Support Forum...

Uninstall the keyhttps://winaero.com/blog/how-to-deactivate-windows-10-and-change-the-product-key/

Use the key by Showkey Plus on the newer computer.

Alternatively, there are two more options available other than this:

(Not applicable to you ends)

Contact Microsoft at
    http://www.support.microsoft.com/contactus
    through chat support. They would take control of your PC and activate(might need a proof of purchase)

Use the Activation troubleshooter on the new PC signed in with same MS account.

Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter.

Select I recently changed hardware on this device.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Win 10 license activation on new pc build

1. Win 10 license activation on new pc build - Similar Threads - license activation build

2. New Build PC - Activating Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Build PC - Activating Windows 10: Hello everyone,Wasn't sure how to search for this problem, but I built a new PC yesterday and I purchased a Home OEM edition key online. During the installation, it asked for the key, which I entered, then I put in my Microsoft Account information. Everything seemed fine....
  3. Win 10 not installing on new build AMD PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 not installing on new build AMD PC: Hi, my new build PC does POST and all the installed devices appear to be recognised in the BIOS.The UEFI BIOS appears to work fine and I updated the BIOS via USB flash in an attempt to fix my problem - it did not.When it boots with the Media Creation Tool created bootable USB...
  4. Win 10 license activation on new build

Win 10 license activation on new build: Hi everyone I'm planning on building a new pc soon, but I'd like some reassurance before I make a start in a month or two. As I understand it if I link my Microsoft account to Windows 10 which I've not done yet then my digital license I upgraded from 7 will be stored on...
  5. Activating Windows on a New PC Build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating Windows on a New PC Build: Hello, I am building a new computer from scratch and will not be reusing any of my old parts. I currently have Windows 10 Home installed on my SSD and it is currently linked to my Microsoft account. Am I able to use my account to activate Windows on my new computer, or is...
  6. Windows 10 Activation after new PC Build

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Activation after new PC Build: I just built a new PC and transferred my SSD with Windows 10 to it. I upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. -On the Settings>Update & Security>Activation tab, it reads that in I have Windows 10 Education. -Error reads "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has...
  7. License Transfer new PC build

License Transfer new PC build: Hello All, I'm hoping the answer is yes however I would like to check if anyone has experience of the following - I've had the same PC for quite a long time now, and have in that time switched to using an SSD, new graphics and memory, motherboard has not changed. Originally...
  8. Win 10 License activation PC dead

Win 10 License activation PC dead: I upgraded quite awhile ago to Win 10 for free. I've moved out of state and finally hooked my computer back up to find that the license needs activating (where do I get THAT code now?) and it's constantly running extremely slowwwwwwww. So I chose to turn off wifi just to...
  9. Windows 10 digital license activation on a new PC.

Windows 10 digital license activation on a new PC.: Hello, i got a free upgrade to Windows 10 on my laptop when Microsoft first announced it. That was a few years ago. I got a new PC last year and the shop i got it from had already Windows pre-installed on the device. As i discovered, it was a pirated license. It started...
  10. NEW BUILD win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NEW BUILD win 10: has microsoft released a new iso for windows 10 today 7124