Windows 10: Win 10 & Linux - which is best to install first on new SSD?

Discus and support Win 10 & Linux - which is best to install first on new SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks Title of post says it all really. Trying to breathe new life into a 12 y.o. laptop (just. don't. ask. okay?) Got a brand-new Crucial MX500... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArthurDent, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Win 10 & Linux - which is best to install first on new SSD?

Hi folks

Title of post says it all really.

Trying to breathe new life into a 12 y.o. laptop (just. don't. ask. okay?)

Got a brand-new Crucial MX500 SSD to this end (which I can use elsehere if needs be).

Which is best to install first - Windows 10 then Linux Mint or Mint first and then Windows??

Thanks in anticipation.

All the best for 2021

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Dec 28, 2020
  2. zalophus Win User

New SSD for Win 10

Thanks for good suggestions. Yes-cloning old ssd to new ssd and then installing 10 is what I planned. Keeping Win 7 on separate drive hadn't occurred to me, and is something for me to consider.

BTW-I assume that I could not install win 10 directly onto the new ssd w/o cloning win 7 onto it first? If not, then I may do a clean install of WIN 7 onto the new drive, leaving everything on the old SSD till 10 is installed.

zalophus, Dec 28, 2020
  3. A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD

Win 10 & Linux - which is best to install first on new SSD? [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I do think that is my problem, but I couldn't find a way to remedy it. Sorry for the screenshot being in Hungarian, if you need I can translate it. And don't mind the 500 MB partition, I tried to do a fix from a similar thread which suggested creating it, but later steps didn't prove successful.

giorgioblues, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Win 10 & Linux - which is best to install first on new SSD?

win 10 and new ssd

I found similar queries but not the answer i quite need. I'm thinking of buying a new ssd and then installing win 10 to it as my current 1TB hdd is running low on space. I'm currently running win 10 on the hdd so the question is 3-fold.

1)how do i proceed to install win 10 on the new ssd

2)how do I remove win 10 from my hdd after installing it to my new ssd

3(can i do all this without having to wipe my hdd as it took nearly a week to re-install all my games and programs last time when I upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and it wiped my HDD.

chadpalmer1313, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 & Linux - which is best to install first on new SSD?

1. Win 10 & Linux - which is best to install first on new SSD? - Similar Threads - Linux best install

2. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  3. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  4. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Best Linux distributions which look like Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Best Linux distributions which look like Windows: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Once you have understood the pros and cons while shifting from Windows to Linux and decided in favor of the latter, the tougher part would be adjusting with the new environment. Thankfully, there are a few distributions of Linux which [...] This post Best...
  6. Which is Best for SSD and USB 3.0 Performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which is Best for SSD and USB 3.0 Performance: Hi All Is Standard ATA controller best, or is it best using the Intel 100/200 Serial ATA controller, my usb 3.0 transfer rate doesn't seem that fast, and transfers from my Secondary storage drive to my new USB 3.0 flash drive Clean Install of System other night right now...
  7. between win 10 enterprise and win 10 pro which is the best

between win 10 enterprise and win 10 pro which is the best: between win 10 enterprise and win 10 pro which is the best https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/between-win-10-enterprise-and-win-10-pro-which-is/79bfe9ef-c442-4b7f-94e7-17095207f881
  8. Whats the best way to install WIn 10 on a new PC?

Whats the best way to install WIn 10 on a new PC?: I was looking around and it seems very confused. Because it's a new PC it needs the cheaper OEM software, but this seems to be only supplied on disc. Rather odd considering many builds don't even have a disc player now. I see I can just download the source to create an...
  9. What is the best approach to install windows 10 to new SSD

What is the best approach to install windows 10 to new SSD: First, let me say that last night, out of the blue,my PC crashed. Long story short, my Kingston 240gb SSD abruptly died. I'm not sure how long I had it, but it was no more than three years old. The system itself was built in 2011, but I changed the original Intel 120GB SSD to...
  10. Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro?

Best to Upgrade Win 7 or a new installation of Win 10 Pro?: I did pass on the free upgrade to Win 10 last year or so. But now feel it might be best to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. At this point in time I would like to do 3 computers. And 2 others after the first of the year. Each has Win 7 Pro (64 bit). Also after reading a lot of...