Windows 10: win 10 login password box shows but will not accept entry

Discus and support win 10 login password box shows but will not accept entry in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have an Acer Aspire V5 laptop with Win 10. It was not used for two years. Last time it was used it was working fine. Just recently after being... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by campingshadow, Jan 23, 2020.

1. win 10 login password box shows but will not accept entry

I have an Acer Aspire V5 laptop with Win 10. It was not used for two years. Last time it was used it was working fine. Just recently after being forced out of Win 7 on my other computer I decided to use it. Windows did all the appropriate updates. Now went I turn on the machine it will get a bunch of ghost bubbles in the upper right corner of the screen. When the login screen comes up the password box is white to allow text entry and then immediately turns black. Clicking on it will momentarily change it to white. As soon as you begin to type in it, it will go black again. Sometimes it will hold one or two letters before turning black again. Takes a long time to get the letters in as you have to keep clicking on it to get it to accept a letter at a time.

After it finally logs into the computer the mouse is very erratic and any text entry acts exactly like the login password box where it will not accept an entry and immediately reverts to the desktop. Very hard to get to anything. In desperation I reinstalled Win 10. Issues remain.

I have not been able to find anything online that addresses this issue.

:)

campingshadow, Jan 23, 2020
  2. CJEditor Win User

Login screen does not show password entry box or error messages

I'm using an HP Folio 9480m running Windows 10. I have it linked to a ViewSonic monitor VA2626wm. When the monitor is not connected, the display on the laptop is fine, but with the monitor connected, the login screen doesn't display correctly. The box for
    entering the password is not there, and any related error messages are not displayed. If I float the mouse over the space where it should be, I can get a text entry icon (the cap i shape) and if I enter the password there, it works. Sometimes the entry box
    display shows for a couple of seconds and then disappears. If I enter the wrong password, the "incorrect password" message is not displayed, but the OK message is displayed.

I've checked Devices, and the correct monitor is there. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

CJEditor, Jan 23, 2020
  3. No password login box

Hi Helen,

There could be changes made with the settings on your computer that has disabled the option to have users to log in with a username and password. This should be enabled back to get again the login window.

If you're able to login to your system without using the password, please follow these steps to enable the login window during startup:

• Right-click the Windows key and select Run.
    • In the Run field, type in control userpasswords2 and hit
      Enter.
    • In the User Accounts dialog box, check the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    • Restart your computer and see if you're prompted with the login window.

In case you can't login to your system, please boot your computer in Safe Mode. Check out the link,

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    and follow the steps in From the sign-in screen. Once you're in Safe Mode, follow the steps above to enable the password prompt. Once done, restart your computer to go back to normal mode.

Update us on how it goes so we can assist you further.

Regards.

"If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to mark it as answer

to help those who are facing the same problem."

Vanessa Yar, Jan 23, 2020
  4. win 10 login password box shows but will not accept entry

windows 10 and password box

Hi Brig,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• What you mean by password box is it login screen password box or anything else?

• Screen shot of the issue?

• Is it not responsive or password is not being accepted?
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

win 10 login password box shows but will not accept entry

1. win 10 login password box shows but will not accept entry - Similar Threads - login password box

2. Windows 10 Does Not Present a Password Entry Box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Does Not Present a Password Entry Box: I'm struggling to compose this on an old Win 7 machine.My Win10/Pro x64 machine gives me the 'pretty picture opening screen.' When I select the space bar to move on to the password request, it does not appear. I discovered the small menu at the lower right corner of the...
  3. Windows 10 Does Not Present a Password Entry Box

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Does Not Present a Password Entry Box: I'm struggling to compose this on an old Win 7 machine.My Win10/Pro x64 machine gives me the 'pretty picture opening screen.' When I select the space bar to move on to the password request, it does not appear. I discovered the small menu at the lower right corner of the...
  4. Windows 10 Does Not Present a Password Entry Box

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 not accepting login password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 not accepting login password: Hoping someone can help. Installed the latest update but since then I cannot gain access to my PC. on startup I get a loading screen saying 'preparing automatic repair' it then goes to a blue screen with automatic repair stating that my PC did not start correctly. The only...
  6. Windows 10 not accepting login password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 not accepting login password: Hoping someone can help. Installed the latest update but since then I cannot gain access to my PC. on startup I get a loading screen saying 'preparing automatic repair' it then goes to a blue screen with automatic repair stating that my PC did not start correctly. The only...
  7. Windows 10 not accepting login password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. HP Windows 10 will not accept password or login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Windows 10 will not accept password or login: Hello. This notebook is 13 months old and is in good condition. I've had no problems with it until now. I turn it off each night and back on in the morning. I log in using a PIN. This morning it would not accept my PIN nor would it allow me to Reset it. It will also not...
  9. Windows 10 won't accept password at login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 won't accept password at login: When I tried turning on my desktop earlier today I was unable to login. It keeps saying my password is incorrect. Then it tells me i can reset at account.live.com/password/reset . It still didn't work. I've been searching around the internet all day and i still can't seem to...
  10. Sartup>login box>Password entry erratic.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sartup>login box>Password entry erratic.: Usually W10 works fine, get to password entry screen> enter password & Bingo, my desktop. After the latest quite large update (May not be connected) entering my PW has become erratic.: I can type it in but nothing shows in the box. I can type it in and it seems to...