Windows 10: win-10 looks very odd after new video card

Discus and support win-10 looks very odd after new video card in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello - first time on this forum. i just installed a new AMD R7360 video-card into my existing gigabyte-amd mobo win-10 machine. normally when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by edwardsmarkf, Jan 16, 2018.

1. win-10 looks very odd after new video card

hello - first time on this forum.

i just installed a new AMD R7360 video-card into my existing gigabyte-amd mobo win-10 machine.

normally when i do something like this, the box boots up into something of a "safe" looking mode until the new drivers are installed.

but this time, windows-10 booted into some odd looking mode, where all i see is a schoolhouse looking background scene with desks, and the bottom RIGHT corner has three button options:

• connection (internet)
    • ease of access
    • power off / reboot

ctrl-alt-delete does NOTHING, right-click does NOTHING. booting into safe mode didnt seem to do anything either. i thought maybe in safe-mode i could right-click the my-file and select "properties" or something like that. but that seems to lock it up in safe-mode.

all i can think of at this point is to go back to the old card, and try running the new driver4 DVD that way. or even put in a new SSD and reload windows-10, but that seems pretty drastic (especially since i originally loaded win-10 from a wun-7 upgrade.

any thoughts or suggestions?

:)

edwardsmarkf, Jan 16, 2018

2. Software, Hardware or both?

Hi,

Turned out it was the PSU after all. Although the output looked fine in bios, under load or some conditions I suppose it was dropping. This cause a very odd interaction with Win10 specifically, and with the m.2 ssd that did not exist with a lower drawing
    older video card, and normal HD win win8.1. The thing that threw me the most was how windows reacted, but seems to be fine now with a new PSU!

Thanks for your reply.

BobSmithMS, Jan 16, 2018
  3. Problems after win10 update ver 1607

There is so many problem I'm facing after update my win 10 ver 1511 to win 10 ver 1607

1. Bluetooth device on/off is vanished from settings

2. Win defender and some other logo are not seen in task bar in proportional order that looks pc os is very odd.

INDRADEOKUMAR, Jan 16, 2018
  4. win-10 looks very odd after new video card

Hi and Welcome to TenForums!

Could you please post a picture of what you see? It sounds odd.

Masterchiefxx17, Jan 16, 2018
  5. Tony K Win User
    Hello, edwardsmarkf. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

I suggest to start with the BIOS. Is it set to default?

Tony K, Jan 16, 2018
  6. when windows first starts, it looks like this:
    win-10 looks very odd after new video card [​IMG]

but after a long wait, it looks like this:
    win-10 looks very odd after new video card [​IMG]

again, nothing on the screen. ctrl-alt-delete now brings up the normal looking screen. RIGHT-CLICK on the screen does nothing at all. and when the mouse goes into the toolbar area, the cursor changes to a circular-waiting loop.

7. and no, there have been no changes to the bios.

8. Tony K Win User

win-10 looks very odd after new video card

Ok. Which edition of 10 are you running?

Tony K, Jan 16, 2018
  9. Wow that is a very interesting lock screen wallpaper....

Is that a MS wallpaper or custom? More importantly what is written on the chalk board?

Please forgive me for going a little OT but I couldn't help myself. *What

legacy7955, Jan 16, 2018
  10. apparently that is what happens when you try using a pci 3.0 video card in a pci 2.0 slot.....

you learn something new around here every day, i tell you. i am surprised it worked at all.

now, the next challenge is to get win-10 back to normal......

11. dwarfer66 Win User
    I though it was backwards compatible?

dwarfer66, Jan 16, 2018
  12. Tony K Win User
    I'll be surprised if you get it to work, if you're keeping it installed.

Yes, the other way around me thinks. A 2.0 in a 3.0 slot? Not sure.

Tony K, Jan 16, 2018
  13. win-10 looks very odd after new video card

You can put a PCIe3.0 GPU in a PCIe2.0 slot, no problems at all. You can also put a PCIe2.0 gpu in a PCIe3.0 slot, no worries there.

I think your issue is that you did not uninstall the previous GPU driver before swapping out the cards. To get rid of all GPU driver traces you need to boot into safe mode and uninstall the old driver from there, and at the same time you should uninstall the new GPU driver too, for a fresh start.

When you are back into normal Windows booting mode, it is very normal that Windows takes it's time to configure things. While this happens, usually Windows is quite unresponsive.

slicendice, Jan 16, 2018
  14. Barman58 Win User
    You can also use DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller), to fully uninstall an existing Driver, and can often get rid of those odd remnants, that a regular uninstall misses (even in Safe Mode on occasion), that often cause the problems

Barman58, Jan 16, 2018
  15. Tony K Win User
    Wouldn't think that was possible, but I'm wrong again. *Redface

Makes sense about the driver. I take it doesn't discard the old then. One would think the system would read the new card. He has it marked solved, but wonder what he did.

Tony K, Jan 16, 2018
Thema:

win-10 looks very odd after new video card

1. win-10 looks very odd after new video card - Similar Threads - looks very odd

2. Very Odd Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very Odd Crash: Was on PC, plugging in a cord, when suddenly my computer turned off. Fans and everything were off, only thing still on was the backlight on my motherboard. Tried turning it on but nothing happened. Turned off power supply, unplugged, waited 30 seconds, repluggind, turned on,...
  3. HDR is very odd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR is very odd: Im using a LG ultragear 1440p HDR monitor and when I enable HDR the screen is more yellow (even whites) and the brightness adjusts automatically based off whats on the screen. I had hulu open on half my monitor and it was full black and I minimized it and everything else got...
  4. Something very odd.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something very odd.: I went on my computer and turned on Task Manager and found a process going by "WaasMedic Agent Exe" i don't remember downloading anything yesterday. Is this something bad?[IMG]...
  5. Odd looking Win 10 Wi-Fi icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd looking Win 10 Wi-Fi icon: Any idea as to what the Wi-Fi icon with the white box over it means ? [img] 161849
  6. Looking For x64 Win 10 Driver For Quadro FX 560 Video Card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Looking For x64 Win 10 Driver For Quadro FX 560 Video Card: As a new x64 Win 10 1909 user (as of today), I can't seem to find a driver for my old Quadro FX 560 video card installed in a Dell T3500. Anyone have any suggestions for sources or experience in this area? Thanks, in advance, for any assistance. 146998
  7. BSOD after installing new video card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSOD after installing new video card: Today i installed a new video card and upon restart my system went back to IDE from RAID.Ever since it BSOD if under RAID. The BIOS recognizes all drives(1 250g SSD (OS) non raid, 1 280g velociraptor non raid, 3x 1.5TB HDD RAID5) Currently windows 10 loads under IDE ,...
  8. Looking for correct video card driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Looking for correct video card driver: I'm using Win10TP 64-bit. I'm having trouble finding a correct driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT PCIe card. The OS just lists my driver as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". I did find one link below that lists a bunch of drivers for this cards but I don't know which one to...
  9. Looking for Windows 10 Video Card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Looking for Windows 10 Video Card: I have an ATI Radeon 4870 that used to work in Windows 8.1. Drivers, Catalyst, everything. With Windows 10 upgrade. Nada. I'm running off the Microsoft drivers. So, can anyone suggest a new video card? Windows 10 compatible. 2Gb memory PCI -express 2.0 X 16 Nvidia...
  10. New Video Card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New Video Card: I have been thinking of getting an EVGA 1080 FTW video card. I currently have an Radeon R9 290 card. Would upgrading make that much difference in games like Farcry 4, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1 etc? My system stats are up to date. 77763