Windows 10: Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot

Discus and support Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all - New to this forum - 1st post My machine is a rather interesting triple-boot box (Win 10 Pro version 1903, Ubuntu Linux 18.04, and MacOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Malibyte, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Malibyte Win User

Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot

Hi all -

New to this forum - 1st post

My machine is a rather interesting triple-boot box (Win 10 Pro version 1903, Ubuntu Linux 18.04, and MacOS Catalina).
    Booting via UEFI. Boot manager is Clover, with GRUB secondary for Linux. Windows and Linux boot from one NvMe drive and MacOS from another. Each boot drive has its own EFI partition. There are also four other SSD drives and one spinner drive.

All has been working fine for quite some time, through multiple OS updates and hardware tweaks and upgrades.

However, recently Win10 has failed to boot, going directly to automatic repair, which fails; diagnosis fails.

Linux and MacOS continue to boot normally.

When I go into Command Prompt through Advanced options in recovery, DISKPART shows that the letter order of the partitions has been scrambled, with the Windows boot partition no longer being assigned C:. It's been assigned D: E: F: and others.

Changing the drive letters via DISKPART does not solve the problem.
    BCDEDIT | find "osdevice" finds the correct partition.

However, BOOTREC /rebuildbcd does NOT find any identified Windows installations (perhaps this is because the drives are GPT-partitioned rather than MBR??)

CHKDSK /f on the boot partition -> clean.

I restored the boot partition from a cloned copy made last week - which was working at the time - no difference, same behavior.

Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.
    Bob

:)

Malibyte, Feb 7, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

Bob,

When you boot into any recovery environment [including from the USB], you are in a different OS and it assigns drive letters according to its own rules. Those drive letters are used only while that temporary OS is in use. As soon as you are back in normal Windows your drive letters will be decided by Windows again so you'll be back to the drive with Windows on it being C:\. You do not need to take any action about this matter.

If you were activated before then the MS servers will recognise your computer when you go back online afterwards and will activate you again. There is no need for any product key or indeed any action on your part - during any reinstallation you just skip the product key step.

System restore points are only marginally more usefu than chocolate teapots. Put your faith in system images instead.

Denis

3. Malibyte Win User

Hi all -

New to this forum - 1st post

My machine is a rather interesting triple-boot box (Win 10 Pro version 1903, Ubuntu Linux 18.04, and MacOS Catalina).
    Booting via UEFI. Boot manager is Clover, with GRUB secondary for Linux. Windows and Linux boot from one NvMe drive and MacOS from another. Each boot drive has its own EFI partition. There are also four other SSD drives and one spinner drive.

All has been working fine for quite some time, through multiple OS updates and hardware tweaks and upgrades.

However, recently Win10 has failed to boot, going directly to automatic repair, which fails; diagnosis fails.

Linux and MacOS continue to boot normally.

When I go into Command Prompt through Advanced options in recovery, DISKPART shows that the letter order of the partitions has been scrambled, with the Windows boot partition no longer being assigned C:. It's been assigned D: E: F: and others.

Changing the drive letters via DISKPART does not solve the problem.
    BCDEDIT | find "osdevice" finds the correct partition.

However, BOOTREC /rebuildbcd does NOT find any identified Windows installations (perhaps this is because the drives are GPT-partitioned rather than MBR??)

CHKDSK /f on the boot partition -> clean.

I restored the boot partition from a cloned copy made last week - which was working at the time - no difference, same behavior.

Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.
    Bob

Malibyte, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Malibyte Win User

Hi, Spunk -
    Per their website, EasyBCD can't fix a non-bootable Windows install - apparently it's only for bootloader management. However, they're happy to sell you something called EasyRE for $20-40 ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Denis - thanks very much for the comeback. Much appreciated. Yes, agreed, chocolate teapots are not very functional!

Malibyte, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot - Similar Threads - losing boot partition

2. System partition is assigned a label on every boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System partition is assigned a label on every boot.: I hope you're doing well and having a great day.If I remove the label of my system partition, it is automatically reassigned on next boot. Is there a way to remove it so it doesn't get reassigned on boot?Thank you....
  3. System partition is assigned a label on every boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System partition is assigned a label on every boot.: I hope you're doing well and having a great day.If I remove the label of my system partition, it is automatically reassigned on next boot. Is there a way to remove it so it doesn't get reassigned on boot?Thank you....
  4. System partition is assigned a label on every boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned: Hello Microsoft Community, Yesterday 4/5/2021 I encountered a problem when booting Windows 10 on my PC. I saw the initial BIOS screen and after a few seconds a black screen occured. I was so surprised because on the same day morning everything was working fine and the...
  6. Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.

Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.: Basically, I've tried cloning my windows to a bigger drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant following jayz2cents' video but I think I messed it up because my EFI partitions showed up in File Explorer. I've tried a couple of solutions online like command prompt to remove...
  7. Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot: I have installed Windows 10 2004 on my new SSD leaving the old hard drive in 1903. I was under the impression that you'd be allowed to access files from the hard drive if they were in dual boot, however the hard drive doesn't show up in windows 10. When using disk management,...
  8. this is from reserved partition has a letter assigned

this is from reserved partition has a letter assigned: Windows 7 pro upgrade to Windows 10 pro failed I think this is from reserved partition has a letter assigned... I THINK RESERVED PARTITIONS DO NOT HAVE LETTER, I AM CORRECT? remove letter in reserved partition in diskpart assign letter of F: as c:/ in diskpart and try...
  9. Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition: I wanted to activate BitLocker on C: partition....But when I tried, I got this message: "BitLocker Setup requires the drive file system to be NTFS. Convert the file system and run BitLocker Setup again." This is how my drives look like: (C) - Simple -Basic - NTFS -...
  10. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...