Windows 10: Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot

Discus and support Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all - New to this forum - 1st post My machine is a rather interesting triple-boot box (Win 10 Pro version 1903, Ubuntu Linux 18.04, and MacOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Malibyte, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Malibyte Win User

Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot

Hi all -

New to this forum - 1st post

My machine is a rather interesting triple-boot box (Win 10 Pro version 1903, Ubuntu Linux 18.04, and MacOS Catalina).
    Booting via UEFI. Boot manager is Clover, with GRUB secondary for Linux. Windows and Linux boot from one NvMe drive and MacOS from another. Each boot drive has its own EFI partition. There are also four other SSD drives and one spinner drive.

All has been working fine for quite some time, through multiple OS updates and hardware tweaks and upgrades.

However, recently Win10 has failed to boot, going directly to automatic repair, which fails; diagnosis fails.

Linux and MacOS continue to boot normally.

When I go into Command Prompt through Advanced options in recovery, DISKPART shows that the letter order of the partitions has been scrambled, with the Windows boot partition no longer being assigned C:. It's been assigned D: E: F: and others.

Changing the drive letters via DISKPART does not solve the problem.
    BCDEDIT | find "osdevice" finds the correct partition.

However, BOOTREC /rebuildbcd does NOT find any identified Windows installations (perhaps this is because the drives are GPT-partitioned rather than MBR??)

CHKDSK /f on the boot partition -> clean.

I restored the boot partition from a cloned copy made last week - which was working at the time - no difference, same behavior.

Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.
    Bob

:)

Malibyte, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot

1. Win 10 "losing" boot partition - assigning wrong letter - can't boot - Similar Threads - losing boot partition

2. assign boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    assign boot drive: I have installed Samsung SSD and successfully cloned. I managed to bring the SSD online, but cannot delete or change drive name of C: drive. I removed SATA data cable on HDD, the SSD booted fine. But if connected both, HDD are always booted and become drive C:, SSD become E:...
  3. Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management: Hi, I Have An External Hard Disk and For Some Reason One Of Its Partitions Did Not Show Up In The Explorer So I Researched And Found Out That It Was Because There Was No Letter Assigned To It. I Opened Up Disk Management And Tried To Assign A Letter To It But There was An...
  4. Windows 10 - letter assignment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - letter assignment: I've had an issue since fresh reinstallation of Windows 10 (1809). When it booted up, the SSD with OS was obviously C and the installation USB was D. Then, I cleaned the USB using diskpart, assigned letter D to my HDD, which was not formatted before and letter E to my...
  5. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  6. Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing/Adding the letter assigned to system partition: I wanted to activate BitLocker on C: partition....But when I tried, I got this message: "BitLocker Setup requires the drive file system to be NTFS. Convert the file system and run BitLocker Setup again." This is how my drives look like: (C) - Simple -Basic - NTFS -...
  7. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...
  8. Win 10 will not boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 will not boot: Hi all i hope someone can help me ? i have a iMac that I installed win 10 on (but not through bootcamp) all was working fine but then it would not boot not sure why I think it did not like one or more of the driver updates ,Anyway I thought the best thing to do would be to...
  9. Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive

Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive: Is it possible to discover the previous drive letter assignments on an old boot drive? I have a Windows 7 boot drive that previously was part of a system with 8 hard drives. I cloned the boot drive from this system and moved to a newer system, on which I've since done an...
  10. Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info

Win 10 keeps losing dual boot info: Hi there. I had been dual-booting between win 7 and win 10. That part was working fine, but I was unhappy wth my win 10 installation. So I erased the partition and reinstalled it. First sign of trouble: It didn't detect my win 7 installation. But it was there (I already got...