Windows 10: Win 10 "major" Update has resulted in duplicate desktop icons.

Discus and support Win 10 "major" Update has resulted in duplicate desktop icons. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Had a lengthy update to Win 10 yesterday, 12th December 2019. I think it was a complete Win 10 re-install judging by the time it took. Today I found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DaveWood50, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Win 10 "major" Update has resulted in duplicate desktop icons.

Had a lengthy update to Win 10 yesterday, 12th December 2019.

I think it was a complete Win 10 re-install judging by the time it took.

Today I found that I had a duplicate set of most of my Desktop Icons, some sitting perfectly over the Originals and others over the "wrong" icon making the text beneath illegible.

I have since dragged like over like.

If I now choose the "correct" icon, I have options to Move, Delete or use the Icon to Open the Application / Document concerned.

If I choose the "wrong" Icon, it won' Drag, there's no Delete Option and it doesn't open the Application or Document.

Reading up on the net, this seems to have happened many times before, after previous Windows updates.

I'm guessing it's tied up with the system incorrectly displaying both sets of Icons;

one set being for "My" User log on,

and the other set, for when "Public" User is logged on?

Will Microsoft be sending an update to correct the situation... I can't be the only one with this issue?

Or is there a Manual Solution?

:)

DaveWood50, Dec 12, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Dec 12, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Win 10 "major" Update has resulted in duplicate desktop icons.

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 "major" Update has resulted in duplicate desktop icons.

1. Win 10 "major" Update has resulted in duplicate desktop icons. - Similar Threads - major Update has

2. Two PC sync with OneDrive using Windows Backup resulted in duplicated app icons on Desktop...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two PC sync with OneDrive using Windows Backup resulted in duplicated app icons on Desktop...: HiI have two system, ypthe first one is HP Notebook PC, and another system is Desktop PC.Both running Windows 11 Pro 23H2 release version, and I have use the same email for Microsoft account on both systemWindows Backup is enabled on both system including DesktopWhen the sync...
  3. duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED: Alrighty then, somewhere along the line I noticed I had a ghost image behind my google pin on taskbar. Then realized the same on several short cuts on my Desktop. AY Yi Yi, wut to do, as always begin a methodical search online for the Solution... After about my 8th or 9th...
  4. duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED

duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED: Alrighty then, somewhere along the line I noticed I had a ghost image behind my google pin on taskbar. Then realized the same on several short cuts on my Desktop. AY Yi Yi, wut to do, as always begin a methodical search online for the Solution... After about my 8th or 9th...
  5. duplicate icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    duplicate icons on desktop: hii I got duplicate icons on desktop error.unfortunately i deleted desktop folder.i read registry changing and tried,but it showing error to change user shell folder.please suggest some solution to it...
  6. Non-responsive duplicate desktop icons -post Win 10 20H0 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non-responsive duplicate desktop icons -post Win 10 20H0 update: Hello, Finally decided to get the 20H0 system update out of the way on satellite w/ limited bandwidth. Everything appeared to transition normal except there was a duplicate recycle bin icon the new default and my old custom icon. The old icon was unresponsive, frozen in...
  7. Desktop icons in win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons in win 10: Hello community. Wondering why half of my desktop icons have the new " Edge " green & blue swirl in place of the programs icon? Also how can I change them? Thanks for any help, Dave 150973
  8. DUPLICATE DESKTOP ICONS IN WINDOW 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    DUPLICATE DESKTOP ICONS IN WINDOW 10: All desktop icons in Windows 10 are duplicated. Deleting one duplicates both. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-desktop-icons-in-window-10/00707ecf-e064-4922-81bd-b837e51a3e88
  9. Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed

Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed: Hi, so as the title indicates, I updated to the latest version of 10 and now when I click my Notepad shortcut it says "it looks like notepad isn't installed, would you like to install it". The exe file for notepad is in system32 but when I double click that it gives the same...
  10. Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed: Hi, so as the title indicates, I updated to the latest version of 10 and now when I click my Notepad shortcut it says "it looks like notepad isn't installed, would you like to install it". The exe file for notepad is in system32 but when I double click that it gives the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. duplicate icon on window 10 desktop