Windows 10: Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed

Discus and support Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For many years I've had a successful wired network between 2 Win 10 computers and a XP computer. Everything was working just fine. 2.5 years ago I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GerryPeters, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed

For many years I've had a successful wired network between 2 Win 10 computers and a XP computer. Everything was working just fine. 2.5 years ago I had a lightening strike take out the XP's network card and I happened to have a Netgear wireless USB that I used instead in my XP computer.

It kept on losing the wireless network connection. I finally gave up trying to get it to work and found an exact replacement for my very old XP network card. I installed it and everything immediately worked fine, except for one thing.

From my XP computer it can't access the Workgroup, so it can't see folders or mapped drives on either Win 10 computer. Yet I can use remote desktop on any of the 3 computers to see the other computers and I can see my XP computer and all it's files from both Win 10 computers.

The only thing I can't do is access Win 10 files from my XP computer. Using Windows Explorer if I go to Network places / Workgroup. I get this error message - ":Workgroup is not accessible, might not have permission"

Since I save lots of image files, I returned my XP to it's Nov 2016 state and one of my Win 10 computers to it's Nov 2016 state. Everything works fine whit both computers using those old images. I've left my XP computer using that old image, since I haven't done much to the OS and programs since then. But my Win 10 computer needs to be current.

I looked at the Network settings of my Win 10 computer when using the Nov 2016 image and wrote down what I found, including some tweaks to SERVICES I did so I could see all my network computers in the Network folder. - I turned these services on:
    Function Discovery Services
    SSDP DiscoveryUPnP Device Host

also this: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features>>Turn Windows Features On or Off
    Find SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support /check only SMB 1.0 CIFS client

i wouldn't think any of these have caused my current problem. My guess is something has changed in Win 10, because my Win 10 computer has all the current Win Updates and some of the network settings look different than they did in Nov 2016.

So I'm hoping someone has some ideas on how to fix this

:)

GerryPeters, Oct 5, 2019
  2. adoornik Win User

Win 7 and Win 10 on network

I have home network with separate modem, router, and WAP's. My Windows 7 computer does NOT list the Windows 10 computers on network computer list but the Windows 10 computers network list DO list the Windows 7 computer.

Turned off firewalls, gave permissions, shared drives. Nothing allows Win 7 computer to access the Win 10 computers.

Any suggestions for a fix?

adoornik, Oct 5, 2019
  3. wireless networking troubles in XP

go into the change advance settings and delete the network cache in there..xp stores a list of available networks in there and if you delte the cache it has to rebuild it

Athlon2K15, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed

setting network up between xp and 2 98 systems

ok do this, set the workgroups on both computers to

WORKGROUP

then change both ip's to the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.1.1-255 - do this manually in network properties
    configure a default gateway if you havnt already, i.e. 192.168.1.1

then once you have done this open cmd prompt on both the xp and 98 and type

Win 98 - ping (the ip address of the xp machine)
    Win XP - ping (the ip address of the 98 machine)

if the pings are successful you should be able to connect once you have done these steps *Smile Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed :)

craigwhiteside, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed

1. Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed - Similar Threads - networking computer has

2. Connect an XP computer to our home network .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect an XP computer to our home network .: I want to connect an XP computer to our home network. The other computers are Windows 10. They connect with each other although the printer on one of them which is "shared" cannot be connected to, although it can be seen/discovered. So two problems! Problems have developed...
  3. Connect an XP computer to our home network .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect an XP computer to our home network .: I want to connect an XP computer to our home network. The other computers are Windows 10. They connect with each other although the printer on one of them which is "shared" cannot be connected to, although it can be seen/discovered. So two problems! Problems have developed...
  4. Network between Win 10 and Win 11 computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network between Win 10 and Win 11 computers: I had 2 Win 10 computers that talked to each other fine. Through Windows Explorer I was able to see and manipulate files one the other. Now that one of the computers is Win 11, I can't see the other either direction. The target folders are all shared with full control...
  5. Connecting XP to Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting XP to Win 10: Hello I have read the article here that HOMEGROUP has been removed from Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/homegroup-removed-from-windows-10-version-1803-07ca5db1-7bca-4d11-68a3-a31ff4a09979 How then can I connect share files and printers my Windows...
  6. XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity: Hi Folks, I am running Hyper V on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to run an XP virtual machine within Hyper V. All is running but the network has limited or no connectivity, so i cannot connect to my local network or map the drive to the server. I have the Network adapter...
  7. Win 10 Network Name Change

Win 10 Network Name Change: I have the latest home version of Windows 10. I would like to change my network name from "Network 3" to something more meaningful to me. I have searched the internet and have found 2 solutions neither of which will work with my installed Win 10. One solution was to make a...
  8. network with windows 10 and windows XP computers

network with windows 10 and windows XP computers: Hello, We use 4 XP computers and one Windows 10 computer. They are on an ethernet network using TCP/IP protocol. One of the XP computer does not see the Windows 10 computer. Symmetrically, the Windows 10 computer does not see this XP computer. Each of the 4 XP computers...
  9. Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue

Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue: I have 3 computers. Computer #1 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1803 - Desktop Computer #2 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1809 - Laptop Computer #3 - WIN XP - Laptop The problem I am having is as follows. Computer #1 can see all 3 Computers on the network and connect to them....
  10. How to change Compatibility from Win 10 to XP?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Compatibility from Win 10 to XP?: The program that I want to change the Compatibility to XP is the game 'Crysis', yet neither its .EXE nor its shortcut have the Compatibility tab showing when I right click on them. How can I force them into XP compatibility mode? (And where the heck is this "Program...