Windows 10: Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work?

Discus and support Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So the story goes; my motherboard gave up the ghost on my old system so I have basically built a new system. I installed Win 8.1 pro on it as this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GoldenLeaf, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work?

So the story goes; my motherboard gave up the ghost on my old system so I have basically built a new system. I installed Win 8.1 pro on it as this is what I was previously using and quickly realised that my new hardware did not support earlier than Win 10. I had no internet access so I used an old laptop to get a USB bootable of Win 10 pro.

When I installed Win 10 pro it accepted my key for Win 8 Pro and let me sign in with my live ID. It has now come up though saying it needs activation. Activation error 0xC004F050. Is there anyway that I can get this to activate without having to go back to Win 8.1 and upgrading to Win 10? I have already installed everything and got it nearly just the way I like it. Would really suck to have to go all the way back to a fresh install again.

Just to be clear I have a genuine working key for Win 8 pro.

Any suggestions please?

:)

GoldenLeaf, Dec 2, 2018

2. Unable to Activate Win 8

I got Win 8 isntalled on my file server, but I am unable to activate it with the key. Says the key is invalid. Since I work at microsoft I got a retail version from the employee store. I have been doing some reading, and to be able to activate Win8 with the key there needs to be a previous version of Windows installed for it to work. WTF, so you can't do clean installs?

And the box says nothing about Upgrade version. Straight Windows 8 Pro.

MxPhenom 216, Dec 2, 2018
  3. Unable to Activate Win 8

I guess that's two of us with magic Windows 8 upgrade disks. *Laugh :laugh:

TheMailMan78, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work?

Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work?

1. Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work? - Similar Threads - activating key Should

2. Win 10 Activation with win 7 Key, is this legal?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Activation with win 7 Key, is this legal?: Hi, I want to ask, I just bought a computer, and to my surprise, it turns out that the Windows I use uses an illegal license, and I have an OEM Windows 7 license and I know if Windows 10 can be activated using the Windows 10 key, which I want to ask , is it legal if I use the...
  3. Win 10 activation key

Win 10 activation key: Hi, In our local market there is some provide win10 keys for a price about 12$~17$, is it original Microsoft key?, and is there a way to check whether the keys are fake or not? "The key activation is life time as they say"...
  4. Win 10 online key activation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 online key activation: Hello Guys, because I don't know who else I should ask about this problem Im coming to your community and hope that one of you is able to help me. So I bought a Windows 10 Home key yesterday to finally get rid of the watermark I have on my new PC. I went into the options...
  5. Win 10 activation - no product key

Win 10 activation - no product key: Trying to activate win10 after M'board change but it won't work as it cannot find product key; I took the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 so don't have a key - how can I Activate Windows? Thanks!...
  6. Activation key win 10

Activation key win 10: how do I migrate win 10 from one drive to another through Microsoft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key-win-10/99a48d0a-d965-4994-843a-c9804ea24ede"
  7. WIN 10 PRO WITH A WIN 8 OEM KEY ON MOTHERBOARD, WINDOWS ARE RUNNING BUT CANT ACTIVATE

WIN 10 PRO WITH A WIN 8 OEM KEY ON MOTHERBOARD, WINDOWS ARE RUNNING BUT CANT ACTIVATE: Hey guys, i came across this problem recently on a laptop i'm working on. Seems that this laptop came with a win 8 OEM key which is bounded to the MB. HP ENVY Touchsmart is the laptop, now it is running win 10 pro (they probably updated in the past but now it has 2x keys) and...
  8. Win 10 Activation Key

Win 10 Activation Key: I have dell Inspiron win 7 was preinstalled in 2015 I took the free update to WIN 10 created a iso on a new dvd the original drive crashed in a few months I lost the recovery data from the original disk however DELL service center installed WIN 7 on the new drive and using...
  9. activation of win 10 home with a win 10 pro key

activation of win 10 home with a win 10 pro key: hello 10ers! i have tablet running win 10 and a licence for it too. win 10 home is preinstalled on my device. i just need to enter the code off my licence to activate it. however, i have a full licence on the way to me for win 10 pro. can i activate my win 10 home...
  10. Should i keep win 8 or win 10 that is full of bugs?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should i keep win 8 or win 10 that is full of bugs?: Hey guys. I was wondering. Should i keep win 10 or rollback to 8.1 pro. I have recently upgraded to 10 and it has a lot of bugs. The biggest error that bothers me is that my pointer is constantly freezing. I have tried everything, still no fix. I cant play a game, i cant...